Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 17:41   #16
BHPian

MyTVS 24 hour Emergency Service

My-TVS no. is:1800-425-2002. (24 hour Emergency Service)

I used this a month back for help when I was stranded on the highway after my battery died and since my car was an AT, push start was not possible. In about an hour I had a battery sent and was jump-started. Charge was Rs.500/-.

here are some more numbers from their web page:

EMERGENCY NUMBERS TO DIAL: Tamilnadu +91 98402 22000 /+91 98421 13000 Kerala +91 98953 22000 Karnataka +91 99005 22000 Andhra +91 99496 22000
Old 27th March 2010, 23:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
They are at krishnagiri now. Have driven about 40 kms. of which 20 was with A/c. The temperature has settled to normal. They jus checked the coolant water level. It has not dropped. They are anyways returning to Chennai now.

Again, what could that pink powder be? Dried up coolant?
Yes, the Pink Powder must be the dried coolant as Factory Filled Coolant in Innovas is Pink,
Old 28th March 2010, 01:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Have they reached back safely? Let us know what was diagnosed by Raghav / Toyota / whoever-you-reached-to!
Old 28th March 2010, 02:36   #19
BHPian

Hope your folks make it back to Chennai safe and sound with no further mishap. Amen.
Old 28th March 2010, 02:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Make sure to check that the head gasket is not blown or that the head is not warped. Keep engine running and pour water in the radiator. If you see the water/coolant bubbling or steam coming out of the radiator, get it fixed ASAP. It could be a blown head gasket to something far more worse.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On no account remove the radiator cap while the engine is still hot.

I learnt this the hard way. I was lucky: the gush of steam and boiling water missed me. If I had been leaning over it, I wouldn't be nearly so good looking as I am today.
Absolutely right. The last sentence had me LOL!

Quote:
They justed filed up the radiator with coolant. They have driven 20 kms since. And there is no rise in Temperature.

What is the pink powder? Dried up coolant?
Yes it is. The coolant evaporates and its chemical contents i.e. salts, additives, condense on what are relatively cooler parts of the engine bay.

Quote:
is this is a good idea?
No, it is not a good idea. Splashing water on an hot engine block can cause a crack. You really dont want that to happen.

When this ordeal is over ensure you take to a Toyota SC and get the cyl head, cooling system, thoroughly checked, drained and refilled with fresh coolant.

Good luck mate. Wish your folks a safe journey back home.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th March 2010 at 10:19. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2010, 10:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

In such emergency situations do the following to keep moving and to keep the engine temperature under check.

1) Roll down the windows
2) Put the vent in fresh air mode
3) Set the blower speed to high
4) Turn the knob to heater mode
5) Switch it on

In our climate one cannot drive for long with hot air blasting into the cabin. Use this intermittently to keep moving and keep the engine temperature under check.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 16:17   #23
BHPian

The Car is back in Chennai and so are my parents. Late last night they were back. Let the car cool and took a look at it morning as soon as i got up. Looks like the radiator is leaking. The egine bay is pink now . My 6 yr old niece loved it. She was all excited seeing the inside of the bonnet pink. She was there with me when i opened the car this morning.

Anyways getting to the point. The radiator is leaking. When fan is running, it acts like a sprayer and sprays a fine mist of coolant into the bonnet. The matter worsens when the car travels at a speed. The air forces more coolant out of the radiator. This is my diagonsis, taking the car to Raghav tomorrow. Will confirm as soon as i here from him. I think, I think, what could have happened is, when giving to service I had a issue with sound from under the bonnet when i started the car cold in the morning. He said, they had 'reconditioned' the timming pulley. I guess the technician could have damaged the radiator while trying to remove or fit the timming belt.

Expect update by tomorrow afternoon.

: Chennai Super kings are getting trashed all over by Rajasthan as I type.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Archish - just one question, did you speak with Raghav? What's his opinion?
Old 28th March 2010, 16:53   #25
BHPian

What exactly is reconditioning of timing pulley means pal ? How does it relate to a leak could you please put up the outcome ! many innova users will appreciate it I think. I used to always think toyotas if taken care well are almost fail proof. Not that your car isn't taken care well of pal I see it's a 2009 model !! That worries me all the more !!!

Last edited by Dippy : 31st March 2010 at 10:42. Reason: Avoid the use of excessive !!!
Old 28th March 2010, 17:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
is this is a good idea?

Why not yaar ? I have done same when My Scorpio Was Overheated.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think, I think, what could have happened is, when giving to service I had a issue with sound from under the bonnet when i started the car cold in the morning. He said, they had 'reconditioned' the timming pulley. I guess the technician could have damaged the radiator while trying to remove or fit the timming belt
Glad your family is back home safe and sound.

Archish, your Innova is a 2009 model and I really dont understand what could have gone wrong with the timing pulley in such a short period of time. If you have loud squeals when you start the vehicle but they go away in a minute or two it generally points to a loose serpentine belt. Adjusting the belt tension makes it go away. I do not believe a pulley would go bad in <12 month old car.

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2010, 10:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He said, they had 'reconditioned' the timming pulley. I guess the technician could have damaged the radiator while trying to remove or fit the timming belt.
Hard to believe that this could have happened with the fan shroud up front, am assuming that this happened on the radiator body itself (else the coolant wouldn't have sprayed all over). Look forward to hear the real reason for the problem.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:16   #29
BHPian

Jus back from raghav's place. Innova is with him.

* I guess ppl are confused with my signature. I got a used Innova. Thought of buying a Xylo, but Changed my mind and got a Used 2007 Innova run about 40k. Now it is running about 70+ K. Yes, Yes, 30k+ In about 10 months.

* The Radiator core is Damaged now.

* I hit a dog (it should be that the dog hit the car) about a month ago on Madurai - Theni Road at about 120 kmph. There was no damage expect to the Bumper gaurd.

* The A/c compressor grill has bent and has punctured top front portion of the Radiator. It could have not happened at the recent service. Must have been a hangover from the 'dog hit'.

They are gonna recondition the radiator. I dint want to replace it with a local made Radiator, so gonna Recondition it and in about months time, gonna replace with original Radiator.
Old 30th March 2010, 03:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

All is well that ends well

Quote:
* The Radiator core is Damaged now.

* I hit a dog (it should be that the dog hit the car) about a month ago on Madurai - Theni Road at about 120 kmph. There was no damage expect to the Bumper gaurd.

* The A/c compressor grill has bent and has punctured top front portion of the Radiator. It could have not happened at the recent service. Must have been a hangover from the 'dog hit'.
Did you have the car checked up after the dog-hit incident? Did any similar incident happen during this drive?

I wonder how these damages escaped the scheduled service - am sure Raghav would have taken a deeper look had you mentioned about the dog-hit incident to him.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks