Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 12:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Santro doesnt start when HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@tanwaramit - If you've access to this message, check if they want to replace the self motor as such or only the armature, bearing & any other worn out part. Though it would be economical to replace the worn out parts, its adviced to replace the entire unit as such.

I have few question though - how come you were able to start the car without any issues when you start in the morning for the first time? Why does it stop in between? What has the stopping got to do with the self motor?
Hi,
This was quite a problem in our old M800. The reason the stopping has to do with the starter motor is due to the fact of a locking pin that's connects the with the starter.

When we're starting a car, we slide the gear selector in Neutral before cranking, when we do this, sometimes the pin does not disengage and the starter cannot engage with the flywheel. When this situation happens all we hear is a tik tik noise - immediately moving our suspicions to battery failure. This 90% happens only after a short run making the engine HOT.

What can be done is this:

1. Engage into first /second gear and give a slight push to the car. This will dislodge the pin. You might have to repeat this a few times though.

Assuming that all other factors and systems are green and working.

This is exactly what happened when I was trying to take the 800 out from Parking. The mechs opened the bonnet, tested the battery, and did the same steps as above, and in 10 mins - I was driving the car back home.
Old 7th October 2011, 14:15   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
So if I understand you correctly, The battery light in the dash will only come on and stay on if the alternator is faulty. Not when the battery is being under-charged i.e being charged to its limited capacity?
In an alternator equipped car the battery light just monitors the voltage. If you have a battery with the capacity reduced to 10AH by age (original ~40AH) then it will charge up, and no light. When you crank the battery will not be able to churn out the juice. Also, sometimes sulphation seriously compromises the cranking capacity.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 14:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

problem resurfacing after a while now.

I am tired of this, the hyundai ASC have not been able to solve the problem till now.

They have replaced the armature coil and what not of the Starter motor, howver, now the problem is so acute that the car doesnt start in the morning if its too cold (no sun), its needs to be push started.

Battery is around 6 months old EXIDE.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:38   #79
BHPian

Hi:

My Indigo had a similar starting problem, but this would occur only after a good 100 km run at high speed on highways. The car never had a starting problem in the city. That means the engine had to be really hot for the problem to surface. I could never demonstrate this to the Service Centre as the car would start very easily whenever I took it there.

Finally, based on the advice I got in this forum, I insisted that the Starter Motor be serviced - cost me about 2.5K. The next time I drove on the highway, the problem did not occur. The service engineer was saying that the starter motor solenoid is probably expanding when the engine is very hot and is not turning... the servicing seems to have fixed the problem.

After a year or so, the problem resurfaced! My car was 7 years old, so I sold it and my neighbour who bought it never goes outside the city, so this problem did not occur again to my knowledge.
Old 5th August 2012, 20:52   #80
BHPian

Update:

I was a regular visitor to the MASS and FNG`s for this issue till a loose comment by a SA got to me. I decided to leave the issue as it is till it developed further. During this period, I went on a few out-of-town trips to Punjab and Rajasthan and tried to fill up at HP outlets only. No problems faced during any of the drives.

I shifted over to Pune and got the car over in April. As the petrol levels were pretty low (thanks to the P&M, story for another thread), the closest petrol pump was BP(Wanowrie). Filled up the tank and the problem recurred almost immdiately.

I am not commenting on the quality of petrol, but it seems my BS2 Esteem is allergic to BS3 petrol supplied by BP/IOC .

I guess the diagnosis of my problem is vapour lock.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

The problem of not starting when the car was hot seems to be closed for now, have changed the SELF motor. Earlier had got carbon cleaned and got armature replaced too, however, nothing worked and every 6 months the problem would reappear.

Now it seems its gone for good, will keep a watch.

However, now a new issue has come.

The car is stalling when running, as the clutch is pressed and rpm goes low, the car stalls. I guess this is the same issue as canister one http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-accent-2.html will get it checked and update here.
Old 10th July 2013, 14:34   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The problem of not starting when the car was hot seems to be closed for now, have changed the SELF motor. Earlier had got carbon cleaned and got armature replaced too, however, nothing worked and every 6 months the problem would reappear.

Hi Tanwar Amit,

I have the same problem like you've mentioned with my Mahindra Bolero GLX 2003.

It just doesn't crank when the engine is warm. But cranks at at the turn of a key when cooled for about 10-15 mins.
Ealry morning (cool) starts are not a problem at all.

Will get the starter motor serviced to check for bad carbon brushes etc and revert with the outcome .

This thread has been really helpful!

Hope this solves my issue of the car not starting when warm.

Thanks!
Sai
Old 10th July 2013, 15:00   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Sudhir View Post
Hi Tanwar Amit,

I have the same problem like you've mentioned with my Mahindra Bolero GLX 2003.

It just doesn't crank when the engine is warm. But cranks at at the turn of a key when cooled for about 10-15 mins.
Ealry morning (cool) starts are not a problem at all.

Will get the starter motor serviced to check for bad carbon brushes etc and revert with the outcome .

This thread has been really helpful!

Hope this solves my issue of the car not starting when warm.

Thanks!
Sai
Hi Sai!

I had the same problem in my Scorpio, I would strongly suggest getting the starter solenoid replaced along with regular service of the starter motor, a oem (most likely Bosch) one will cost around Rs 650-700/- , do insist on getting it replaced even if the service guy claims it to be okay.
lancerlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 21:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Sudhir View Post
Hi Tanwar Amit, I have the same problem like you've mentioned with my Mahindra Bolero GLX 2003. It just doesn't crank when the engine is warm. But cranks at at the turn of a key when cooled for about 10-15 mins. Ealry morning (cool) starts are not a problem at all. Will get the starter motor serviced to check for bad carbon brushes etc and revert with the outcome . This thread has been really helpful! Hope this solves my issue of the car not starting when warm. Thanks! Sai
Problem in my car used to resurface after every few months. Changed 3 batteries every 2 years. Changing starter motor was the final solution.

Rest all fixes were temporary. Glad this thread helped you. Do share the final outcome.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:28   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Problem in my car used to resurface after every few months. Changed 3 batteries every 2 years. Changing starter motor was the final solution.

Rest all fixes were temporary. Glad this thread helped you. Do share the final outcome.
tanwaramit,

My Santro Xing 2006 is having a problem, in March 2013 i had to change my Exide Sonic battery which died and was 1.5 Years old. The new battery installed was Amaron which has 18+18 months warranty (Amaron which came with car worked just over 5 years). Two days back i had to go out in evening around 7 pm and the car hesitated to start, though there was a "tuk tuk" noise each time i was trying to crank but it did not start. I was starting the car for first time in that day. But with ignition on i tried and checked the Lights which seemed proper to me but the Odo meters lights were pretty dull and after that i also checked music system which got switched on but was unable to play any songs. I did not investigate further as i had to rush in a hurry.

It was today i came across this thread wherein it seems to me that the starter motor could be culprit over here.

My running is only on Saturday and Sunday and car has covered 45K. Do you suggest that i check my battery and then check for starter motor ?

What would be the approximate cost involved if the starter motor is culprit.

Would it be advisable to get it done in H.A.S.S or any independent garage mechanic can do the job.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 12th July 2013 at 15:37.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
tanwaramit, My Santro Xing 2006 is having a problem, in March 2013
Your case seems to be of not enough current available.

1. Either the battery is weak, get it checked by a trusted battery dealer (not any shop, as they may fleece you saying battery is weak even in case it may not be)
2. Check battery terminals yourself, they may have some deposits, open the terminals yourself and clean it up, reconnect the terminals.

You should rule out battery before you start thinking on starter motor.

My Xing starter motor replacement costed me approx 6.5k.

Also search for a sticky thread, "My Car won't start" on the forum. It will help.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:11   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi Sai!

I had the same problem in my Scorpio, I would strongly suggest getting the starter solenoid replaced along with regular service of the starter motor, a oem (most likely Bosch) one will cost around Rs 650-700/- , do insist on getting it replaced even if the service guy claims it to be okay.

Hey Lancer lover !

Thanks for your input.

Got the starter motor serviced with a new armature,new carbon brushes and a new solenoid ,new springs.

Now, the problem seems solved!

Drove for about 30 km (good engine temp) and cranked..... car started without any problems!!

Thanks!
Sai
Old 15th July 2013, 11:50   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Your case seems to be of not enough current available.

Problem has been sorted out

The battery had drained completely, on Saturday evening got it started by jump start method by the battery dealers mechanic.

Took it to the battery dealer which is just 2 kms away from my home.

He checked the battery and said that is charging has died down completely so it needs to be charged and gave service battery from his side.

He said something might have been on in car that had battery drained completely.

15 days back my central locking had stopped working and it was making "karr karr" noise, the actuator had gone kaput then but did not take it seriously and continued to use the car.

After getting the service battery directly took it to the local mechanic and he figured out that there was direct current passing through with help of the bulb light which was supposed to be on & off after locking and unlocking but instead it was on all the time and also two motors had stopped working.

Got all the things rectified from him and after rectification he showed me the bulb light now switches on & off after locking and unlocking.

Got the my original battery from charging yesterday and drove the car happily

Last edited by driving_smartly : 15th July 2013 at 11:52.
Old 15th July 2013, 19:44   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Problem has been sorted out
Glad your problem is sorted out and thanks for sharing the reasons of the issue. Helps others in similar case.
Old 19th November 2016, 12:40   #90
BHPian

Apologies for digging out an old thread, But its a real time problem i am facing now.

Flashback:

I was facing the same issue with my Santro Zip Plus 2002 for quite a long time. Car starts without any issues in the morning. During those days, i was visiting ASC's only and they overhauled the starter and issues got resolved. This happened around 3 times in the life span. One time, they advised to change the battery. When i visited the battery shop, they told me that there is no problem with the battery. But i insisted them to replace it and got it replaced. Anyway the problem got resolved some how after battery replacement. (Must be a weak battery that needs charging, which i didn't cared to recheck or don't want to take any chances)

Present Scenario:

For the last 1 and a half years, i am facing the same issue very often. Since i had a relocation i had to visit another ASC. They overhauled the starter motor twice, chance the solenoid once during my 3 visits one by one. On last visit, they advised me to change the battery, which i didn't do, instead, i charged the battery myself. Anyway after that, issue got resolved. All these visits were happened at least every 6 months.

Now the problem started again. I want to get it sorted out with a permanant solution and want peace of mind. I got held up twice in a week. After a long journey, stopped at the petrol pump for refill and car failed to start. Another time at a traffic signal. Starter motor starts and within a second, cranking stops completely with difficulty in cranking.

When i faced the problem, i placed the battery on another santro. It started more than 10 times one after another without any issues. So the starter motor was overhauled again and the brushes got changed at a local workshop. Still after running for sometime, problem returns. Mechanic is suspecting the armature of the starter motor. But, from the reply from "tanwaramit", changing the armature didn't worked for him. So i kept the car with him and instructed him to check with another starter motor.

Meanwhile, requesting advice and suggestions from fellow bhpians who got the similar issues resolved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks