Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Year 2000 Maruti Zen LX stalled!

Guys
This is an emergency situation. I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong section. I think this is the most frequented sub forum. I request the mods to move the thread maybe tomorrow.
Okay. The problem is that my sister said the car just stalled in Delhi. Before stalling, the brakes become hard and then it stalls with some jerks. She waited for a while and the car started off but again after say 10 minutes it stalled yet again. The stereo and also the horn is not working. What maybe the problem?

As of now, she and her friends are arranging for a mechanic but it may take some time. Need your two cents!!
Regards
Abhinav Sharma
Old 30th March 2010, 17:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

If i read it correct, the engine is getting cut off and the brakes become hard since the servo assistance is not there. Engine cut off can be due to many reason's including bad fueling, ignition or even chocked filters.

Call any m.a.s.s and they should send help to your sister.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:59   #3
BHPian

but what about the horns, stereo etc not working when the car is moving?
Old 30th March 2010, 18:03   #4
BANNED

The fuse could have blown for the horn. It could be an electrical issue with some loose wiring/short circuit.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The fuse could have blown for the horn. It could be an electrical issue with some loose wiring/short circuit.
Yup exactly. If I got my facts right Zen uses an electronic fuel pump (in carb and MPFI) .
Old 30th March 2010, 18:18   #6
BHPian

Okay, the mechanic said that the alternator is at fault. Now, is he correct? And he says it would take an hour or so to repair it for the day's drive.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:29   #7
BHPian

I agree with Zack and Riju. There are "n" number of reasons because of which the car could have stalled. Here is some that comes to my mind.

Apart from the fuse ask your sister to check the collant temperature. The rise in temperature might suggest a blown out fuse or a faulty theromstat. Check if the car stalls when the vehicle is stationary after 10 minues of idling. This might be caused because of a faulty fuel pump too.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Just saw your post buddy. A faulty Alternator could be a culprit in this case, but I doubt it because I know of many Zens from 1999 which still runs good withoutr any problem with the alternator. I will let the gurus answer your queries

Last edited by ElantraGT : 30th March 2010 at 18:37.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Okay, the mechanic said that the alternator is at fault. Now, is he correct? And he says it would take an hour or so to repair it for the day's drive.
If the alternator has conked off, usually they don't make an effort to "fix" it.
I have only one experience that was in my bro's Wagon-R, the alternator jammed up and that in-turn broke the belt. The "thing" had to be replaced.

Anyway a faulty alternator would have given off some signs that it is indeed dead or going to die. Battery drain is the most obvious sign and that is hard to miss.

Its really hard to extrapolate as Hari said there can be "n" reasons.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:28   #9
BHPian

I suggest check the battery, I'm sure battery has gone bad.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

I didnt read the electrical's conking off, check wiring, fuses, battery etc Once cleared see if alternator is charging properly, if not its the alternator.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sounds like a bad battery connection to me.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:28   #12
BHPian

The alternator had gone bad. It is now replaced and the ride is back to normal.

Most Viewed