Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:22   #1
BHPian

My Accent 1.6 DOHC in trouble - advice needed

Hi,

There was a coolant leakage on Friday morning (this is the second occurrence of the leakage, first one was fixed by Trident folks by replacing a pipe). I decided to take it to the service station to get it checked. On the way the car stopped and refused to start. After sometime it started, but stopped again in a km distance. Called up the Hyundai help line. The mechanic said that the car stopped because of heating since there is no coolant left.

Took the car to the service station. After 1.5 days of investigation, the supervisor tells me two things:
1. Radiator has problem and should be replaced
- estimated cost: 7.5K
2. Even after filling the coolant it's getting pushed back, which is causing extra pressure on pipe and leads to pipe rupture. So, he wants to open up the engine head and do further investigation to see whether there is any issue with the engine
- estimated cost: 25K
- estimated time to complete the job: 15 days

I would like to know whether the findings make sense, does the cost and time estimates realistic?

Also, I would like to take suggestions from you folks in terms of who is better equipped to this job - Trident or any other workshop like Suraksha?

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Regards
Rex
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Hi,

There was a coolant leakage on Friday morning (this is the second occurrence of the leakage, first one was fixed by Trident folks by replacing a pipe). I decided to take it to the service station to get it checked. On the way the car stopped and refused to start. After sometime it started, but stopped again in a km distance. Called up the Hyundai help line. The mechanic said that the car stopped because of heating since there is no coolant left.

Took the car to the service station. After 1.5 days of investigation, the supervisor tells me two things:
2. Even after filling the coolant it's getting pushed back, which is causing extra pressure on pipe and leads to pipe rupture. So, he wants to open up the engine head and do further investigation to see whether there is any issue with the engine

I would like to know whether the findings make sense, does the cost and time estimates realistic?

Also, I would like to take suggestions from you folks in terms of who is better equipped to this job - Trident or any other workshop like Suraksha?

Regards
Rex
What problem the radiator was diagnosed with? Did you check the cooling fan, is it working properly.If the coolant was bubling out of the reservoir it could be due to the fan not working properly.Before getting into expensive repairs check items like the fan,thermostat ,the raditor cap and also check the hoses for leaks.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd April 2010 at 23:37.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Hi,

Regards
Rex
There is a good chance that you've blown the head gasket and possibly even warped the head by driving without any coolant while the engine was overheating. The estimated cost is quite high, but the diagnosis seems correct.
Old 4th April 2010, 07:29   #4
BHPian

Hi Rex ,
Radiator conking off in Hyundai Accent for pre 2005 production models after 45 K of driving is a known problem ,
check for Colent droplets between the radiator top (black plastic part ) and the Radiator , this plastic part sometimes develops cracks , and dificult to detect when you open the plastic part , and just the part can not be replaced due to non availability of the part , I replaced my radiator at KUN-TPT for 3.8K , if you are in bangaore try replacing the part with ali garage or Raj motors orr , than ***
Old 4th April 2010, 10:00   #5
BHPian

Head Gasket.

You mentioned the coolant is getting pushed back.

On a cool morning when you have time to spend open the hood of the car and remove the cap from where you fill in the coolant mix. With the cap removed start the engine and look out for flow of coolant into the reservoir tank. If there is a huge amount bubbles along with the coolant flow then your head gasket is blown. If the bubbles are seen only when the engine is hot then your head gasket is on its way out and should take out not more than Rs 2000 to fix along with the assorted spares.

To replace the head gasket the head has to be opened and when doing so its better to do preventive maintenance like valve seal replacement and other artificial rubber impregnated parts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 4th April 2010 at 10:02.
Old 4th April 2010, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
You mentioned the coolant is getting pushed back.

On a cool morning when you have time to spend open the hood of the car and remove the cap from where you fill in the coolant mix. With the cap removed start the engine and look out for flow of coolant into the reservoir tank. If there is a huge amount bubbles along with the coolant flow then your head gasket is blown. If the bubbles are seen only when the engine is hot then your head gasket is on its way out and should take out not more than Rs 2000 to fix along with the assorted spares.
The car is at the Hyundai ***. While there, the machanic filled the raditor with water as part of his investigation and started the engine. I could see the water bubbling up and the machanic mentioned about the 'push back' based on this observation.

Regards
Rex
Old 4th April 2010, 16:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Hi Rex ,
Radiator conking off in Hyundai Accent for pre 2005 production models after 45 K of driving is a known problem ,
This is a new information for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
if you are in bangaore try replacing the part with ali garage or Raj motors orr , than ***
Can you please PM me the contact details, if you've?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What problem the radiator was diagnosed with? Did you check the cooling fan, is it working properly.If the coolant was bubling out of the reservoir it could be due to the fan not working properly.Before getting into expensive repairs check items like the fan,thermostat ,the raditor cap and also check the hoses for leaks.
I've not talked to the supervisor in detail about the radiator problem. Need to do that. The fan works perfectly well.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:04   #8
BHPian

Update

I heard from the Hyundai Auth.SS today.

1. 'Internal core of the radiator has ruptured' - this is what the supervisor told. He says it could be due to the age of the component (the car is ~7 years old), defect in the component, or due to the pressure developed inside due to the 'pushback' from the engine.
- remedy: radiator + hoses to be replaced
2. Need to open up the engine to check the reason for corrupting the radiator. The head must've developed issues. Once opened, the gasket will need a change and the valve guides and seats will require check and replacement, if required.

- estimated cost: 18-19K (~12K for spares + ~7K for labor and machine shop costs)
- estimated time: 12-15 days, depending on the availability of parts

Having talked with the supervisor in detail, I'm thinking of giving the jobs to the Auth.SS instead of looking for another workshop.

Any comments?

Regards
Rex

PS: The positive side of the whole story is that I'm back on my RX100, though the morning ride gives me a free bathe in the hot sun :-)
Old 5th April 2010, 19:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Machining the head is not necessary unless the head has been warped due to overheating, so you can argue on that. What spares are being replaced for 12k? Why does he think the valve seats need replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks