Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Query on A/C & Air Filter (2 different queries)

Hi guys,

I have these 2 queries in my mind. Hope to get appropriate replies:

1. Is the cooling of a/c anyhow depends on car battery ?? If the car's battery is weak does it affect the cooling factor ??

2. After changing the engine oil and oil filter is it also necessary to change the air filter ? (they were changed at the same time, prior to this) what are the ill effects, if air filter is only not changed ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th April 2010, 23:17   #2
BHPian

1. No cooling does not depend on car battery
2. If airfilter looks ok then there is no need to change airfilter. If there was a need to change but it was not then only thing happen with your car is that you will run on a lean mixture of fuel and you will experience poor throttle response.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:03   #3
BHPian

the issue with the battery i am facing is, if the music system is on, lights (fog and head) are on, then horn will not blow like normal, the horn's sound is very low and the a/c is cooling less effectively, and the issue with air filter is, car's pick up is low and mileage is also not good.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
1. Is the cooling of a/c anyhow depends on car battery ?? If the car's battery is weak does it affect the cooling factor ??
Let's say you have your A/C switched ON & you start up the car, the power consumption of your battery is more than what is normally required to start the car (due to the use of blower). This is something a driver told me long back, however mind refuses to believe it because I see that the A/C & blower supply being cut off when I start the car with A/C ON. However, when you've lights turned ON, anything like cabin lights, turn lights, head lights or fog lamps & any additionals, the consumption WILL be higher than the normal when starting. If your battery is slightly weak, then you may have to turn OFF all these & start the car.

Quote:
2. After changing the engine oil and oil filter is it also necessary to change the air filter ? (they were changed at the same time, prior to this) what are the ill effects, if air filter is only not changed ?
IMHO, air filter change is independent of engine oil & oil filter changes. However, if the air filter is in good condition, when you change the engine oil & oil filter, cleaning up the air filter is very much suggested.

EDIT
Quote:
the issue with the battery i am facing is, if the music system is on, lights (fog and head) are on, then horn will not blow like normal, the horn's sound is very low
Obviously it will be low because all of them are connected to the same power source; just idle the vehicle for sometime or charge up the battery, if they're weak & you'll be good to go. Even if you're using a maintenance free batteries, when in doubt, check them once in 3 months or so.

Quote:
and the a/c is cooling less effectively, and the issue with air filter is, car's pick up is low and mileage is also not good.
A/C cooling has got nothing to do with batteries, if the blower's speed is less than normal, then yes some issue with battery OR the blower. Probably you may need to top up the A/C gas, check with your A.S.S for this. Also, when was the last time you serviced your car? If it were recent & the car's pickup & mileage is low, pls post the details of the jobs that were carried out during the last service.

Last edited by aargee : 5th April 2010 at 10:17.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:33   #5
BANNED

1. the cooling effect doesnt depend on your car battery. It depends on number of reasons, however just to point out the imp one, it depends on the intact AC gas ( which is checked on your regular service intervals ) and the perfect compressor and its belt. Any changes of the above would cause impact to your cooling levels.

2. Air filter regulates the car air-fuel mixture to run the engine. Any dirty airfilter can cause irregularities like bad exhaust, bad mileage and sometimes may damage your spark plugs performance. This needs to be cleaned and changed at the right intervals depending on the car
Old 5th April 2010, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Hmm, well but in any case I will change the car's battery because the head lights are also not bright, as compared to any other zen, i will change the air filter many be today after office or day after.

Last time the engine oil and oil filer was changed on 27th March 2010, but prior to that it was changed quite late (after almost 5-6 months, but the car runs approx 1200 kms in a month)

car runs approx 390-400 kms in Rs 1200 petrol (with a/c on 90% times).

Last edited by nick17s : 5th April 2010 at 11:09.
Old 5th April 2010, 11:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last time the engine oil and oil filer was changed on 27th March 2010, but prior to that it was changed quite late (after almost 5-6 months, but the car runs approx 1200 kms in a month)
Stick this to the manufacturer's recommendation & I also assume that you're getting the car serviced only at A.S.S.

Quote:
car runs approx 390-400 kms in Rs 1200 petrol (with a/c on 90% times).
I'm assuming you're getting an average of 17Kmpl. Pls correct otherwise.

When did you change the battery last & what's the make & type?
Old 5th April 2010, 12:56   #8
BHPian

no I am not going to A.S.S, however, there is a trusted garage near IIT delhi.
No not 17 bro, roughly around 15, I bought this amaron zero maintenance battery approx. 4 years back, and I am running after market fog lights with relay, head lights with relay, a/c, minda horns, Sony 600 watts amp, Pioneer 1000 watts sub and a pair of JBL 300 watts speakers with this battery.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no I am not going to A.S.S, however, there is a trusted garage near IIT delhi.
As your convenience.

Quote:
I bought this amaron zero maintenance battery approx. 4 years back, and I am running after market fog lights with relay, head lights with relay, a/c, minda horns, Sony 600 watts amp, Pioneer 1000 watts sub and a pair of JBL 300 watts speakers with this battery.
Guess its time to check the battery; first take it to the Amaron authorized battery dealer, check the battery & top it up, if required & then notice for any improvements. If there're any improvements, then the effort of driving the car to the garage can be avoided.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:46   #10
BHPian

i dont find any slot to open the battery and fill in acid or battery water, okay, will go the the battery shop..thanks aargee, really appreciate it.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Amaron has vent caps, they are rectangle in shape and there are two of them on top of battery covering 3 cells each. On the side of the vent caps, insert a flat head screw driver and lift, the vent cap will come out and you can now add distill water to cells.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

@nick: Do not fill in acid, you just need distilled water. Be cautious about so called battery water - some brands have acid mixed in it.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:58   #13
BHPian

@hashim and max: will go to the dealer and get the needful done. are you guys sure that after using 4 years the battery does not die ??
Old 5th April 2010, 15:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Does your battery looks something like this? Then the two squared boxes is the places that needs to be opened up & checked. Pls take it to the authorized dealer & he knows what to do. Meanwhile here's a little tip from TBHP.
Old 5th April 2010, 16:02   #15
BHPian

yes, it is the same battery, hmm, now I wonder, why I dont see those small 6-7 round caps like old exide battery, where you can fill in battery water.
while in the break time I went to the parking and checked under my ride's hood, and found that some white thingy like fungus was there, lol, thats the acid i guess, I will wash off it with boiling water.
thanks again for the tip aargee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks