Team-BHP - Cabin hot but temperature gauge normal
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Cabin hot but temperature gauge normal (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/79040-cabin-hot-but-temperature-gauge-normal.html)

Hi,
I own a WagonR which is driven for 40K Kms till date. I happened to get it serviced from the authorized centre a couple of days back in which the engine oil, gear oil, brake oil, spark plugs were changed.

Since then, I have observed that the cabin temperature and also the temperature under the hood is much higher than how it used to be. The gauge still remains in the normal range but I keep getting sweaty in the cabin :) without the AC, I am pretty sure if I switch on the AC, it'd take a while to cool the cabin because of this behaviour.

The gauge seems to be pretty normal as it rises from "C" to the centre gradually in the morning.

One more thing that the service centre guys recommended and carried out was to clean the injectors and something they called as "throttle body". Can someone please explain what is that?

Any reasons that anyone thinks could be the reason for the hot cabin?

Many Thanks!

Shreyas

Quote:

Originally Posted by paish (Post 1824068)
Hi,
I own a WagonR which is driven for 40K Kms till date. I happened to get it serviced from the authorized centre a couple of days back in which the engine oil, gear oil, brake oil, spark plugs were changed.

Since then, I have observed that the cabin temperature and also the temperature under the hood is much higher than how it used to be. The gauge still remains in the normal range but I keep getting sweaty in the cabin :) without the AC, I am pretty sure if I switch on the AC, it'd take a while to cool the cabin because of this behaviour.

The gauge seems to be pretty normal as it rises from "C" to the centre gradually in the morning.

One more thing that the service centre guys recommended and carried out was to clean the injectors and something they called as "throttle body". Can someone please explain what is that?

Any reasons that anyone thinks could be the reason for the hot cabin?

Many Thanks!

Shreyas

Reason for hot cabin is the summers :)

Injectors spray the fuel into the engine. Throttle body controls the amount of air that goes into the engine. Your accelerator pedal is connected to the throttle body with a cable and when you press the throttle, the throttle body opens up to let in air into the engine. The ECU senses the intake of air and provides the right amount of fuel to be sprayed by the injectors. Cleaning TB or injectors has nothing to do with rise in ambient temperatures.

hey, who told you that temp gauge is there to measure cabin temperatures,or temp under the hood. it measures engine coolant temp,and it will be pretty normal even if your cabin is on fire, till the time you have your radiator in place and radiator fan running.

if there is no problem in FE or performance,there is hardly any use of injector cleaning,guy might be robbing you of labour charges by cleaning injectors even when its not required

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustom_99 (Post 1824280)
hey, who told you that temp gauge is there to measure cabin temperatures,or temp under the hood. it measures engine coolant temp,and it will be pretty normal even if your cabin is on fire, till the time you have your radiator in place and radiator fan running.

if there is no problem in FE or performance,there is hardly any use of injector cleaning,guy might be robbing you of labour charges by cleaning injectors even when its not required

:) I never felt or meant that the gauge is measuring my cabin/hood temperature but then if the engine coolant temperature rises, won't it dissipate atleast some amount of it to be felt outside? I guess it would, and that is what am worried about.
Any reason for this rise in temperature felt in the hood/cabin otherwise? I have checked under the hood, and the fan runs periodically as it is supposed to be and the coolant has been changed (supposedly) by those guys in the service.

As for getting the injectors/throttle cleaned, probably I fell to the sweet talks of those service centre as much I tried not to.
On a side note, With Maruti Service stations I've seen they try to make you spend as much as possible with all the stuff they suggest to repair/clean/polish/service.

There is nothing wrong with doing an injector and TB clean-up at 40k km. A bit of proactive work on the part of A*S*S is better than facing a problem at the middle of a journey and getting conned by roadside mechanics who will overcharge and exaggerate the problem. No relation between cabin and under-hood temperatures. It is summer, like I said above.

If everything in the engine bay is good temperature wise then the needle will be neutral. If a fan has konked or coolant has run/leaked out, the gauge will point it out. At the most, you can get the gauge checked if you are absolutely sure.

Shreyas, being a WagonR owner, I feel you don't need to worry anything with your car.
Quote:

The above seems to be normal & hence everything is normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranavt (Post 1824258)
Reason for hot cabin is the summers :)

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1824777)
If everything in the engine bay is good temperature wise then the needle will be neutral. If a fan has konked or coolant has run/leaked out, the guage will point it out.

+1
Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1824777)
At the most, you can get the guage checked if you are absolutely sure.

Suggest the above, if you still have doubts.

If you're still not satisfied, try some of the options suggested for Indica in this thread.

Quote:

I own a WagonR which is driven for 40K Kms till date. I happened to get it serviced from the authorized centre a couple of days back in which the engine oil, gear oil, brake oil, spark plugs were changed. Since then, I have observed that the cabin temperature and also the temperature under the hood is much higher than how it used to be. Any reasons that anyone thinks could be the reason for the hot cabin?

If your engine is otherwise OK, heat may be seeping in through the firewall or the floor. There is a sizable opening in the engine firewall through which the AC & heater pipes enter the cabin. This aperture has a large plastic plug through which the pipes enter the cabin, you can have this area & the plug checked for leaks. Also have the clearance of the exhaust pipe (from the floor) checked along its length, especially around the gear lever as it's not covered by the carpet.

Quote:

Remove the rubber intake pipe & check the throttle-body for dirt, dust, & grime. If it's finger-clean you wouldn't need to have the TB cleaned. If you see a lot of grime inside the TB, have your PCV & air-filter checked too.

Ask if by throttle-body cleaning they mean spraying BG cleaner into the TB, if yes, you can avoid it (its just a very easy way for them to make money). If they're planning to clean the TB manually, they'll need to be careful with the IACV - just ask them to follow the procedures set forth in the service manual.

Shreyas, don't sweat (pun intended :)). It's merely a coincidence that you got your car serviced at the same time that outside temperatures have soared. I notice my office + car air-cons working harder than usual over the last 7 - 10 days. Western India is HOT!

just from my past experience, scan closely the area below dashboard for any unclosed opening. This happened to my Indica few years back. For some work service guy removed the rubber cover to pass the wire inside and did not closed it

I started feeling hot air around my leg area and car getting really hot.

That really gives me a relief that nothing's really wrong with the temperature. Yes, I will get the gauge checked once for my own satisfaction.

Indeed Western India and especially Pune is very hot these days.

Thanks again!