Old 13th June 2010, 01:45   #16
BANNED

Okay guys, I give up, I lose.
No more comments from my side.

@ mods: Please delete this post if found useless
Old 13th June 2010, 11:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your comments. But here are my queries against your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Please note these points:

1. After a cash wash(Using a pipe/Mug as many People Do) please open all the doors and wipe the beedings. If left un-attended then this is what happens !

2. When giving car for Water-Service, please be with the car to over see the work. Make sure they don't spray water inside the car as many service station personals do, to clean the door panels.

3. Always keep the car clean from heavy dust like mud and debris, such elements attract moisture and initiate the rusting process.

4. The frequent cleaning method used should be only with damp cloth.

Mr. Epic, you live in Mumbai. A sea-side city, where such rustings are prominent because of the Humid and Salty environment. For the minor rusts on the door, you may apply Brake fluid over them as a temporary option. After a few more months, after the monsoon you may go for a touch-up and Single paint.

Regards
1. My car is washed by a general washing guy who has other cars to wash too so I doubt he is going to take the trouble to do all this and neither do I have the time to go so much in detail (I wish I did though).

2. Car servicing is given to Vitesse the 'authorised service centre'. If I still have to supervise then I believe its absolutely useless.

3. My car is washed internally every alternate day. otherwise, it is wiped externally with a damp cloth only.

4. Will try out the brake fluid thing and see what happens. At the rate it is going, I believe I will have to get the entire car repainted from a good and reputed painter and bill Maruti/Vitesse for it.

There are millions who live in Mumbai, the sea-side city and also in a sea facing area but I dont believe any car should rust witnin 'just' 5 years!!! As mentioned in my first post, there are 40 other cars in my building ranging from high end Mercs to Altos with no complaints.

However, my second post also mentions a neighbour of mine who complained of his cars showing signs of rust within 2 years of ownership and mind you - all are Marutis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No properly painted and sealed vehicle should rust just because of being near the sea. Lots of people, world-wide, live near the sea.

Epic, you can see some of the rust experience I have just been through with my Swift on this thread Do check that section under the windscreen wipers.
Yes I agree with you. I have gone through your thread and my last three pictures are of the rusting section under the windscreen wipers only. The exact issue that you are also facing!

Quote:
Vehicle for the sea-shore cities are usually manufactured with thicker sheet metal like from 0.8 or 1.0 depending upon vehicle segment. Also the present technology anti-rust treatment done to the base metal helps a lot.
The door rust pose no danger as of now. The A/C duct rusts can be rectified but not a real a real danger, as it doesn't take any load.
Agree with you, so what is the problem here? Marutis are known for their weak metal so that their cars are lighter and hence help in better fuel economy but I guess here are the drawbacks of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
This really amuzes me. My 1992 118 NE has just the double amount of rust than this. Its fully stock with original paint. Hope you do something to contain it.
Hence I asked "Are Maruti Vehicles the Modern Premier Padminis??"

Quote:

Why do you have to take Trivia so negatively. You learn less in this way. Sorry for this statement Mr.Thad. If you need clarification on the gauge of plate used, please do visit any Automobile plant.

1.Cars are manufactured based on certain criteria, such as the field of application, type of application, method of application, etc. The quality, and various other parameters of the components used in the manufacture of the car are dependent on these standards.

2.Car's also vary depending upon a country's currency value, like cost of the components depend upon economic condition. Depending upon the cost of the car, you can see how the quality of plastics, rubbers, etc used varies!

3.Built quality as in our case of argument also depends upon the country. Countries like UK have strict set of rules to manufacture any thing for that matter. So all car over there will be of the same quality, but of superior standards.

Regards
I agree again but then why this rusting issue within just 5 years? Is Maruti not following the parameters for India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Thats the result of a bad paint job! Nothing to do with the seaside fellas. Mind you, this is not the only car in his building as he Epic has mentioned.
A bad paint job from an 'authorised service centre' and that too of a reputed one like Vitesse and again which they have done on 5 occassions on my car already? Then shame on them!!!

The same neighbour of mine who told me that all the Maruti cars that he had owned till date showed signs of rusting after just 2 years, currently owns a Maruti Alto which he purchased around a year ago and a Toyota Corolla which is two years old. No rusting on the Toyota yet!!
Old 13th June 2010, 12:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
............For the minor rusts on the door, you may apply Brake fluid over them as a temporary option.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
4. Will try out the brake fluid thing and see what happens........
IIRC, brake fluid is highly corrosive. Recommend you dont try this unless you are a budding masochist.

EDIT: I have a minor rust spot just above the windscreen on my swift. Probable cause is nicked paint from the time the windscreen was replaced. At the moment, all I've done is clean the area completely and wax over it once a week. Problem is I did not have the time to get it painted earlier and cannot now since it rains every other day. This sort of thing needs close monitoring though. I'm probably going to take this opportunity to paint the roof black.

Last edited by Roy.S : 13th June 2010 at 12:35.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't disagree with Sujith1100 about thickness of metal sheet --- but I do feel that the man factor is sealing and painting, which is what prevents corrosion from even starting.

Epic... I think that area under the windscreen is prone to collecting any small leaves that may enter through the grill. If the drainage becomes blocked, then they can build up and hold moisture. This is something to be especially careful of if we park our car under trees. We should watch out, too, that any drainage holes in places like the bottom of doors are free.

The cars of my UK childhood used to rust away in a few years. Now there are twelve-year corrosion warranties! Whilst I have no need for a car that size, I am currently tempted by the VW Jetta --- because they are offering twelve-year corrosion warranty, and I want a car I can believe will last me for a decade.
Old 13th June 2010, 17:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't disagree with Sujith1100 about thickness of metal sheet --- but I do feel that the man factor is sealing and painting, which is what prevents corrosion from even starting.

Epic... I think that area under the windscreen is prone to collecting any small leaves that may enter through the grill. If the drainage becomes blocked, then they can build up and hold moisture. This is something to be especially careful of if we park our car under trees. We should watch out, too, that any drainage holes in places like the bottom of doors are free.

The cars of my UK childhood used to rust away in a few years. Now there are twelve-year corrosion warranties! Whilst I have no need for a car that size, I am currently tempted by the VW Jetta --- because they are offering twelve-year corrosion warranty, and I want a car I can believe will last me for a decade.
Just curious. What did you do about the corroded panel under the plastic gill below the windsheild? Did you get it changed? If yes, how much did it cost you including labour? Also, have you noticed of corrosion anywhere else on your Swift like in the areas mentioned by me?

Since my car is currently at the Vitesse workshop for this issue, I have asked them to change that corroded panel too. They said it will cost around 1500 including labour. I am just hoping and praying that this body corrosion issue doesnt crop up again or else Maruti is gonna have it big time!
Old 14th June 2010, 09:24   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Hi all,

I had given my car for a paint job on 17th May 2010 for work on the affected areas which had paint bubbling and a bit of corrosion. I took delivery of my car on 24th May 2010 and everything seemed fine. But around two days ago, i.e. 08th June 2010, I got a shock as I found that bubbling and corrosion had started again. I was really sad and frustrated with this as the problem which used to take around 6 months to reoccur had surfaced again in just 15 days!!!

Hi,

What exactly did Vitesse do and what did they charge you. That would help in determining why the problem has cropped up again.

Viper
Old 14th June 2010, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

What exactly did Vitesse do and what did they charge you. That would help in determining why the problem has cropped up again.

Viper
Hi Viper,

Vitesse have basically scraped down the affected areas and got it re-painted after applying an anti-rust coating.

I just got off the phone with the guys from Vitesse and they will be doing the same thing but I from inside and outside the affected areas.

Like always, they will not be charging me anything for this as the problem seems to be at their end.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
3. My car is washed internally every alternate day. otherwise, it is wiped externally with a damp cloth only.
Can you please elaborate on washing the car internally every alternate day?

Murthy
Old 15th June 2010, 10:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
Can you please elaborate on washing the car internally every alternate day?

Murthy
Not as major as it sounds. The plastic interiors of the car like door panels, dashboard, etc are wiped with a damp cloth. Floor mats are removed and washed throughly and placed back after drying.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:15   #25
BHPian

I too live in a town that is around 10 Kms from the sea. I own a 1996 model Maruti 800 and it doesn't have even a sigle rusted spot. I purchased a SX4 two months back.

I feel the *** is not doing a proper job and is not scraping the rusted area throughly before proceeding further. A repaint without removing the rust is likely the cause for your frequent problems.

Plrease be present when they are doing the re painting job. Ask them before hand to tell you the procedure they are going follow. Check with experts to know whether it is o.k. Then only ask them to proceed.

Murthy
Old 15th June 2010, 16:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Major Update

Hi guys,

I was to get my car delivered tomorrow from Vitesse Andheri West in Mumbai after they promised that they would do a through job and ensure that the problem would not crop up again. Now, the paint bubbling and rusting issues appear on all 04 doors, trunk and petrol lid. The last time I had given my car for this job to Vitesse, all 04 doors & trunk were treated and re-painted but petrol lid was replaced, all free of cost.

I have however got a call from the Customer Care Manager of Vitesse today and he has informed me that they will need to replace 03 doors of the car i.e. the front passenger door and both rear doors. The driver's door and trunk lid will be treated and re-painted as the issue is minor and can be solved without the need to change them. I guess the 03 doors may have shown corrosion to a point which cannot be solved or treated and requires replacement. They will also be replacing the corroded panel below the windsheild and under the plastic mesh as shown in the last 03 pics on Pg 1. My car will now be delivered to me on Saturday.

What is this gonna cost me?? Now hold your breath for this................ The 03 doors and panel will all be replaced FREE OF COST to me with Maruti bearing 100% cost for the panel and 50% of the cost for the 03 doors will be shared between Maruti & Vitesse!! Vitesse will also provide me with a spare car to save me any inconvenience in my day-to-day travel. I have also told them that since they are gonna have the car for another 03 days with them, to check the entire car throughly for any signs of corrosion elsewhere and solve it there and then so that I do not have to visit them again later for any issue of corrosion on a different part of the car.

I hope this is finally the solution to my problem which has been going on for almost a year now. I was not expecting Maruti & Vitesse to take such a big step in replacing my doors and that too bearing 100% of the cost eventhough the car is not even under warranty anymore. I am throughly and pleasantly surprised but I hope there is no catch to it later. Will keep you guys posted on the same as the result of this solution will only be seen after the car gets through the rains.

Note to all other members having corrosion issues with their Maruti vehicles :

I suggest you write to Maruti on priority if any of you are facing similar issues like mine or the like as I had written 05 letters to them keeping them well informed of then number of time my car was given to Vitesse for the same issue and it has probably finally paid off (I hope I am not speaking too soon).

However, please note that I had always given my car only to Vitesse for all jobs, whether mechanical, servicing, denting, painting, etc and never ever gave it to a local mechanic during its warranty period (04 years due to extended warranty) and hence got a good amount of help from Maruti & Vitesse in attending to my problem.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

That sounds like a major success so far! Congratulations!

Most Viewed