Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 16:06   #16

Idea!

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots......like.......this...........Thanks

Just one thought came into my mind to solve this issue..might be dump or break thru

why cant there by power assisted hand breaks(connected to engine vacuum)..in these situations ..so that the driver wont be even able to move the vehicles with handbreak on....In case the vehicle is off ..let the mechanical system take control

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2010 at 13:16. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots......like.......this...........Thanks
Old 8th April 2010, 16:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Why to install the beeper if your car has it factory fitted.
In my freind's Scorpio (the talking car ) it tells the driver about this.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th April 2010 at 16:12.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
IMO, one should learn how to drive without engaging the hand brakes by self & no short cuts to be taught. The right way to take a car is
1. Adjust the RVMS's & seat
2. Seat belt
3. Start the car, engage clutch & first gear
4. Disengage clutch to half position so that the car tries to moves (but cannot due to hand brake)
5. Release the hand brakes

IMHO, the kid should be taught rather than being provided a convenient option. Imagine the same happening on a different car & without the buzzer, the hand brakes will still be engaged & driven isn't it?
+1. I would like to add one more point:
6. Check instrument cluster for any warning lights

Technology is getting smarter, but people are getting dumber.
We should concentrate on correcting our mistakes, rather than relying on technology to remind us for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am not sure if a person so occupied with other problems that he/ she cannot notice a warning light in the dashboard should be driving a car in the first place.
+1. He should consider hiring a driver. Another benefit would be that he can use the travel time for finishing some more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have an audible warning device apart from the light in the instrument panel! My little son sits on the front seat and is trained to call out sharply "Appa, hannnnd brrraaake" if I forget to release it!
Don't mean to sound preachy, but its not a good idea to have kids in the front seat. This has 2 benefits:
1. Kids would not play around with the controls, hence you can concentrate on driving without being concerned what the kid is upto
2. In the case of an accident (God forbid), the kid would be safer in the rear seat

Coming back to the topic of discussion, if the parking brake is engaged properly, it would be very difficult to move the car. Any decent driver can easily make out that the parking brake is engaged.

If someone is able to drive around with the parking brake engaged, either the handbrake is not being pulled up properly, or it is too loose to serve its purpose.

Rohan
Old 8th April 2010, 16:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueman View Post
Just one thought came into my mind to solve this issue..might be dump or break thru

why cant there by power assisted hand breaks(connected to engine vacuum)..in these situations ..so that the driver wont be even able to move the vehicles with handbreak on....In case the vehicle is off ..let the mechanical system take control

What will you do if you have to move the car from stand still in a steep incline? There are indecators in the dashboard to tell you that your hand break is on, if you still ignore it then there is no point getting a talking alarm or whatever.

Pramod
Old 8th April 2010, 20:24   #20
BHPian

The Car doesnt move as quickly with handbrake on as it does without it engaged. Helped me couple of times, when I forgot to disengage it.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys, he had faced an issue and trying to get a solution. And he feels an audible beep will help. If just the visual light are ok, why do we have those beeps for the seat belts, open doors etc?

And the solution from him is very simple and interesting. Instead of commenting why such a driver should drive or why cant he see the dashboard etc, I am sure he would approciate if you can give inputs on how he can implement his thought.

Yes, car will not have much pulling, but again it will be after quite a attempt only he will feel it. Or may even think something wrong and just push more. Why to even allow him to try it?

And technology for sure improving to make sure WE dont do mistake. Thats technology. A system is smart if it can help user NOT to do mistake.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

My input is much the same as has been said already: driving with handrake on? Just don't! We can say the same about heaps of bad driving habits, and this one should never become a habit.

Here's a slightly different take on it, though... If I forget to release the handbrake (of course we all make mistakes!) my Swift hardly moves; it takes but a second or two to realise what I've done. If the car moves easily with the handbrake on: get the brakes adjusted!

I did once drive my Rover 200 for a few minutes, wondering why the auto gearbox was not changing up, and imagining impossible repair bills --- before realising that the handbrake was on! Like I say, we all make mistakes.

I believe in appropriate technology: in this case, it is nice and low-tech, and consists of learning from the mistake, not inventing gadgets!
Old 8th April 2010, 22:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueman View Post
Torqueman, power assisted handbrakes seem to be a good idea, I was thinking about this too, this morning . However, as I found out today, these are normally used for heavy vehicles. Adding them to a light vehicle like the Wagon R is sure bound to add to the cost of the vehicle, on account of the additional hardware. Also, in the event of the vehicle being towed by traffic cops, there could be serious damage to the tyres.

I feel that voice alerts are a good proposal for "handbrakes ON", as well as "engine temperature high" and "oil pressure low", as these situations call for quick action. There should also be a facility for the driver to acknowledge / reset these voice alerts, so that the alerts don't sound until the next start of the ignition key. Of course, by then, the corrective action also should have been taken !

Last edited by mooza : 8th April 2010 at 22:30.
Old 9th April 2010, 00:33   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

"put your seatbelts on"

"Yes... I'm talking about you in the back, too"

"No, I'm not going to let you start the car until you have done"

Ahhh... voice alerts
Old 9th April 2010, 06:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

why not create a checklist for him and tie it to the sun visor, he just needs to go through the check list each time he gets in the car, after a few visits to the check lists, he should be good to go.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
why not create a checklist for him and tie it to the sun visor, he just needs to go through the check list each time he gets in the car, after a few visits to the check lists, he should be good to go.
Ha ha.. this is a funny way to tackle it. reminds me of the check list pilots go through before a flight.

Handbrake effectiveness varies from car to car. In the marutis I've used or driven, handbrake is not very effective - the car can still be rolled with it engaged. In Palio, car would not move at all. If you try to drive with handbrake fully engaged, the rear tires will just be locked even if the car moves forward.
Old 9th April 2010, 15:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

In my Alto if the hand brake is fully on, it will be difficult to move the car without stalling. We will immediately notice something amiss and disengage the brake. The hand brake lever has to be lifted up for seven "clicks" before it engages fully. If it is lifted for just a couple of notches, the light will come on, but the brake will not bite. Driving will be possible at this stage without noticing it.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:46   #28
BHPian

I had the same problem of leaving the handbrake on. Came up with 2 solutions :

1. Tighten the hand brake so that there is a difference in the cars accelaration. This is an easy solution but has other disadvantages also.
2. Checked the cars central locking kit. Mine was an after market fitting (Autocop). There was an audible alarm for the handbrake as one of the features. Noramally, the installation guys do not want to connect the whole thing and would give you a lot of reasons why it should not be connected. I had an arguement for an hour after which the wire was duly connected.

Now, whenever I switch on the ignition, there is an audible alarm (only once) - no nuisance alarms while driving.

Last edited by dashoin : 10th April 2010 at 13:47.
Old 10th April 2010, 14:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Checked the cars central locking kit. Mine was an after market fitting (Autocop). There was an audible alarm for the handbrake as one of the features. Noramally, the installation guys do not want to connect the whole thing and would give you a lot of reasons why it should not be connected. I had an arguement for an hour after which the wire was duly connected.
Now, whenever I switch on the ignition, there is an audible alarm (only once) - no nuisance alarms while driving.
Thanks a ton dashoin, for sharing this valuable info . This is just what I was thinking of, in the conclusion of my previous post above.

Also, I feel that in most vehicles, the size / brightness of the visual warning icons (in my Ikon, at least) need to be increased, and located more prominently, as it is difficult to pick them up during daytime driving. Locating these visual warnings in the central rear view mirror may help, I think, since we tend to look at the rear view mirror more often than at the instrument cluster while driving, and there is no blockage of view by the steering wheel.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Don't mean to sound preachy, but its not a good idea to have kids in the front seat. This has 2 benefits:
1. Kids would not play around with the controls, hence you can concentrate on driving without being concerned what the kid is upto
2. In the case of an accident (God forbid), the kid would be safer in the rear seat

He is a 10 year old and sits in front wearing the seat belt properly!

My solution is simple; have a small mental checklist while starting the car. And visually check the instrument console frequently for any warning lights + signs of over heating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks