Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2005, 14:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
If i owned a 720 bhp Supra, i'd have kept it in Hubli and enjoyed it there.
looks like you would always be going sideways in the rains, simply because in Hubli, the roads disappear during the monsoon, only to be replaced with medium-sized rivulets originating from the overflowing drains...

Last edited by ananthkamath : 7th October 2005 at 15:04.
Old 7th October 2005, 15:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
looks like you would always be going sideways in the rains, simply because in Hubli, the roads disappear during the monsoon, only to be replaced with medium-sized rivulets originating from the overflowing drains...
LOL, you thoughti was gonna drive it in town? haha

I was talking about the highways around Hubli.

And the best part is that every highway is within 3 kms from my house.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th October 2005 at 15:11.
Old 18th October 2005, 17:08   #33
BANNED

The need for horsepower depends on what you're looking for in a car and how you plan on using it.

Do YOU need more horsepower? I guess not.

Do I need it? You're damn right!
Old 6th March 2006, 10:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

Ofcourse we need more power. Atleast some of do. Like Dr. Arora

quote: "the other day i was in on the xpress highway of mumbai pune and was in my freinds supercharged skoda rs with remapped ecu and completely modified engines with quad cams and quad turbos.we were doing 250 kmph and one of my clients mazys zipped past at a blazing pace"

for more see this wonderful thread....
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-7-speed.html
Old 6th March 2006, 15:35   #35
BHPian

IMO, if your driving is purely for going from A-B, then its pointless, but if like me you go for the sake of driving then you need all the power you can get.

I understand though, just last evening, I got defeated by a Santro from his place to my place in traffic. I only gained up at the Haji Ali stretch after which again traffic came into play and the santro just squezed past everything.
Old 6th March 2006, 16:30   #36
DRC
BHPian

Hmm we have amby with so little power and a maharaja's back seat for the need, M800 for the need,

also have few other cars which pamper your want for the power.
Take what you like, ot fulfil your need
Old 6th March 2006, 17:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

... Its also to do with getting used to a certain power --- the high of moving to a powerful car lasts only for some time... then you start feeling the vehicle is slowing down, does'nt feel that quick anymore etc... My move from an 800 to the Accent CRDI evoked exhiliration.... then I sat in Leela's Turbo Swift (0-100 6secs) - NEIL AMSTRONGish feelings!...
Best part - that ride lasted 20 mins .. But its been a month since ... and the effects are yet to wear off - my car still feels woefully slow!!

maybe I need to use the 800 again - WITH AC on- for a week to appreciate the Accent CRDi all over again!

Last edited by kb100 : 6th March 2006 at 17:32.
Old 1st October 2007, 05:12   #38
BHPian

do you really want powerful vehicles in india?

without being sure if a similar discussion has been had in another corner of t-bhp, i'm expressing my concerns about the effects of increasingly powerful cars and bikes (relatively speaking) coming into a country that has roads suitable for barely half the speeds its current cars are capable of.

we constantly whine about why we're not given options of powerful cars and bikes. but what if the wish were granted?

one shudders at the thought of suicidal morons who already rip their puny bikes at 80+ in crowded cities piloting a superbike.

or at the thought of wannabe racers zipping along our pathetic highways where man and beast have the right of way, at insane speeds just because it gives them the 'pleasure' for which they'd bought the machine in the first place.

do you honestly, and really honestly, believe we should have more powerful options? i for one, do not think so.

complaining about the lack of powerful motoring options is like asking for a car with just an engine, even if no brakes are available. because POWER is fun.
Old 1st October 2007, 07:26   #39
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Your doubts are well founded, but just paying for good roads is not enough. That we already do in the case of the Bombay-Poona expressway.

When you mention the suicidal morons and wannabe racers that mad-dash about the countryside with these vehicles, you hit the nail on the head.

There has to be a good executive who can enforce the laws we already have and bring these criminal morons to justice. Our obese, corrupt and unlettered police force (if you can call it that) is pathetic.

Every time one travels overseas, one wonders why we cannot have their delightful discipline back in our motherland.

But discipline?
From the road-rage and rape capital of the country to the motorcyclist-infested streets of the smaller metropolises...

from the overcrowded, crawling traffic, IT-capital brimming with more vehicles than it can handle; to the congested, polluted, flyover-city that lacks even piped drinking-water supply...

discipline seems a distant dream.

And then there's my home: slum-island with its burgeoning ranks of migrants from even more indisciplined and anarchic states.

No discipline, more BHP would certainly translate to more casualties.

Until we have the self-discipline and/or the law-enforcement to enforce civilized driving, it may be better to stick to the humbler side of 100 bhp.
Old 1st October 2007, 09:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well I second your thoughts, As long as there is such indiscipline and lack of disregard for road sense, we are better off with the current breed of cars.
Old 1st October 2007, 09:40   #41
BHPian

Well, looks like i'm in good company. i'd tried to fish out something like that before i posted too. not being too sure, i decided to post it just the same.
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
...I will never buy a petrol car in my life...
Just saw this. How times change!
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

I see more power as having spent less time on the opposite lane overtaking that slow vehicle. In low powered cars although you have everything you want for, getting past something becomes not only difficult but sometimes life threatening. as you end up taking some chances. With a higher powered (more rightfully torqued) car, overtaking is a breeze and helps you to keep calm knowing your car will respond anytime you wish it to. Moreover the pleasure (a word not to be found in the practical dictionary) is unmeasurable.

Last edited by 1100D : 2nd October 2007 at 01:27.
Old 2nd October 2007, 02:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

I would like a very powerful engine for highway. In bangalore, a decent engine with sufficient torque for low speed driving will do most of the time. The guys in bangalore can relate to what I am saying.
Old 2nd October 2007, 02:39   #45
BHPian

although rightly pointed that we don't need more, but want more, it would perhaps be a more meaningful introspection to think about where indian road safety and conditions are heading when increasingly powerful cars come into the country.

we all want more powerful machines, but as the 'per capita bhp' grows higher and higher, it is beyond doubt that our roads will turn into dangerous death-traps given the anarchy that's sure to prevail.

simply, india DOES NOT deserve fast cars. although impractical due to both human psychology and commercial opportunism, it is to better to be content with the current state of affairs. the next time a monster of an engine is plonked into an indian car, look at it as one more step towards a dangerous trend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks