Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 20:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Baleno issue : Could a stitch in time have saved me 9K or more ?

I own a Baleno_Lxi, which turned 5 years old a couple of weeks ago. The 5 years of ownership have been perfect with a reliable car, FTD and FE too. And I could not have asked for more.

Yesterday, I got stranded on my way home from work and had to leave the car by the side of the road all night at Perungudi on the IT corridor, since it was too late (midnight). Luckily, a colleague and friend stays nearby and he gave me his i10 so I could get home without a hassle.

I have always valued "Reliability" the most in my car and believe that any decent car of today worth its name should not have any problem that leaves you stranded for a minimum of the first 5-years, if not more. Looks like my car was just waiting for the 5-years to get over.

Coming to the problem, since the past 2 days, I knew there was something not just right in the car. Every time I shifted gears, I would hear a slight thud kind of sound. A variation of which would also be heard, when I stepped on the gas. Over the days, this sound started getting more audible and got me worried.

The odo was reading 38350 and I thought this is something to do with the clutch play (since sound came on shifting gears & releasing clutch) and made a mental note to point this out at the 40K km service.

But what happened yesterday (9-Apr-10) blew me off completely. I had my friend with me and I stopped at Perungudi to drop him and then the car would not move in any gear. I depress the clutch, engage the gear, but even on fully releasing the clutch, no movement at all. With nothing much to be done at midnight, I go home.

Today morning, I go to Electra Automotive and they send a mechanic along. He investigates and says the RHS drive-shaft could be bust, due to which power is not getting transmitted to the wheels.

They tow the car to the workshop and say that they will get back to me after detailed investigation. Since it is anyway due for 40K service, I ask them to do that also.

They call me in the evening and say that the drive-shaft is indeed gone and would need to be changed along with the bearing. Cost of these components alone being 15K. Due to being SGP ? Anyway, I ask them to go ahead - what else to do ?

My questions for the experts :

1. If I had taken the car to the workshop 2 days ago itself, when I started hearing the "thud" sound on changing gears, could it have saved the drive-shaft ?

2. Is the life of a drive-shaft just 5-years ? I mean, we changed the drive-shaft on on our M800 after like 15 years or so.

3. Does a Baleno drive-shaft indeed cost 15K ? What about comparitive cars like OHC, Ikon etc ? I remember a drive-shaft of our SS80 being 3K or so, some 5 years ago.

4. How does the drive-shaft get damaged ? With our SS80, I used to drive it for many weeks/months, though it used to create a racket every time the car steering was turned to one side. But here it was kind of like without a warning.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1. If I had taken the car to the workshop 2 days ago itself, when I started hearing the "thud" sound on changing gears, could it have saved the drive-shaft ?

2. Is the life of a drive-shaft just 5-years ? I mean, we changed the drive-shaft on on our M800 after like 15 years or so.

3. Does a Baleno drive-shaft indeed cost 15K ? What about comparitive cars like OHC, Ikon etc ? I remember a drive-shaft of our SS80 being 3K or so, some 5 years ago.

4. How does the drive-shaft get damaged ? With our SS80, I used to drive it for many weeks/months, though it used to create a racket every time the car steering was turned to one side. But here it was kind of like without a warning.
Biju, Sorry about your driveshaft.

The life of the drveshaft depends on how well the rubber bushes last on them without cracks / openings / rat bites etc etc. IMO 5 yrs is a god period.

The old SS80 had better quality rubber bushes and driveshafts have outlasted the vehicles. Unfortunately this is not true for newer vehicles.

Regarding #4, I'm really no expert, but driveshaft failrues generally have noise associated with it which also act as warnings. Maybe you did not recognise the same until failure.

cheers
Old 10th April 2010, 20:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The splines on the driveshaft that connect to the gearbox must have worn down completely that you had no drive.
Old 11th April 2010, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He investigates and says the RHS drive-shaft could be bust, due to which power is not getting transmitted to the wheels.
Why did the car not move through the LHS shaft, even if the RHS had failed ? Is it linked to the RHS shaft, I wonder.

My M800 drive shaft had conked off once (35k on the odo), but I spent around 2.5 K for the same in 2002. Please ask the workshop for a detailed explanation and price break up.
Old 11th April 2010, 16:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Why did the car not move through the LHS shaft, even if the RHS had failed ? Is it linked to the RHS shaft, I wonder.
The car did not move as the all the power was directed towards the damaged driveshaft as it must be spinning freely, The Reason: Open Differential.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Anshuman, this cleared my doubts ! Never thought about this reason for the loss of power transmission
Old 11th April 2010, 23:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My questions for the experts :

Not 2 days but 2 years. Thats probably when the driveshaft boot failed and dirt started getting in. You should have been hearing clicking noises during full lock parking turns.

Surprised they did not check it during service.

Yes, w/o boot failure drive shafts go for 10 years 1lac plus easy.

But what I dont understand is why you need the wheel bearing replaced.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Not 2 days but 2 years. Thats probably when the driveshaft boot failed and dirt started getting in. You should have been hearing clicking noises during full lock parking turns.

clicking noise ? i hear a "thak" sound on turning the wheel all the way while parking.should it be of any concern ?
Old 12th April 2010, 08:22   #9
BHPian

its more like thak thak thak thak while turning with full lock of steering, and the sound increases while turning in inclines.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
but driveshaft failrues generally have noise associated with it which also act as warnings. Maybe you did not recognise the same until failure.
Apart from the minor thud sound on changing gears, there was no other sound, like the irritating thak-thakd-thakd sound I heard on the SS80. Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
But what I dont understand is why you need the wheel bearing replaced.
Hmm. I am also seriously confused here. I just called up the spares division of 3 Maruti Auth. Service centres and here is what they have to say :

1) CARS India : RHS Drive shaft + bearing (they say it comes as part of the driveshaft) : Rs.6010

2) Khivraj : RHS Drive shaft : 6000
Wheel bearing : 6200 // They say this comes separate.

3) ABT : RHS Drive shaft : 6010
They also say that bearing comes as part of the DriveShaft assembly.

Either ways, the 15K quoted by Electra seems too high and seem to be over-charging me.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th April 2010 at 11:25.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) CARS India : RHS Drive shaft + bearing (they say it comes as part of the driveshaft) : Rs.6010

2) Khivraj : RHS Drive shaft : 6000
Wheel bearing : 6200 // They say this comes separate.

3) ABT : RHS Drive shaft : 6010
They also say that bearing comes as part of the DriveShaft assembly.

Take your car to one of the above..you will feel happy after all!
Old 12th April 2010, 14:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

SB the drive shaft doesent break like that without any indication, it makes that khat khat sound for a very long time before giving away, my esteem was driven with the khat khat sound on full lock for nearly 30K and the drive shaft was still going fine. I feel it might have just disengaged, anyways upon asking i found out each drive shaft for an esteem is 2.5k so the baleno drive shaft would never be 15k. please take it to M A S S.

Edit are they also charging towing charges in this 15k anong with 30 K KMs service charge?

Pramod
Old 12th April 2010, 14:19   #13
BHPian

The LH driveshaft in my swift diesel failed last month, the car is 1.5 years and has only run about 13000 km. There was no indication that the driveshaft would fail and it failed just as I was returning from a service! These being mechanical parts, there will be some defective parts which are not detected in the factory and sold to customers which then fail prematurely. You should ask Maruti to give you goodwill warranty as the car has not run much if the rubber boots are not damaged.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
You should ask Maruti to give you goodwill warranty as the car has not run much if the rubber boots are not damaged.

, MASS and goodwill warranty? Has anyone got a precedence for that!
Old 12th April 2010, 14:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Take your car to one of the above..you will feel happy after all!
I have never given the car for Service to a non-MASS outlet. In this case, both CARS and Elektra were near the place this happened. I opted for Elektra because tbhp-ians have recommended the place. I don't doubt their workmanship, but the price difference between what they quote for the spare and what a MASS quotes is so huge (2.5 times). Anyway, I plan to go down there and talk to them in an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
SB the drive shaft doesent break like that without any indication, it makes that khat khat sound for a very long time before giving away
Yeah, same with my M800. So was surprised it gave away without any warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
are they also charging towing charges in this 15k anong with 30 K KMs service charge?
I dont think so because they mentioned this amount for just the spare. Anyway, will confirm in an hour when I go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep
You should ask Maruti to give you goodwill warranty as the car has not run much if the rubber boots are not damaged.
I don't think they will consider this for a 5-year, 38K run car.

Most Viewed