Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 26.25%
Average (Just about manages) 36 45.00%
Poor (Inadequate) 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 02:58   #1
agm
BHPian

Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Does anyone got any idea if Hyundai have got a better ac in i20?

Imo i20 got one of the worst ac in this segment , i was sweating with blower at speed 3 while the outside temperature was 38 degrees.have seen many complain about the same in my friends circle as well as few in the family, wonder what will happen when the temp will go to 45*C?

Wish it had a better engine ,current 1.2 80bhp aint good enough for this car .

Last edited by agm : 10th April 2010 at 03:00.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Does anyone got any idea if Hyundai have got a better ac in i20?

Imo i20 got one of the worst ac in this segment , i was sweating with blower at speed 3 while the outside temperature was 38 degrees.have seen many complain about the same in my friends circle as well as few in the family, wonder what will happen when the temp will go to 45*C?

Wish it had a better engine ,current 1.2 80bhp aint good enough for this car .
Which model do you have? Asta or Magna? I use the automatic climate control as prescribed in the manual. I set the temperature to 21 c and the rest is taken care of the A/C unit. I never had any issues with A/C even when the outside temperature indicated around 40 degrees c.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:27   #3
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Which model do you have? Asta or Magna? I use the automatic climate control as prescribed in the manual. I set the temperature to 21 c and the rest is taken care of the A/C unit. I never had any issues with A/C even when the outside temperature indicated around 40 degrees c.
I will agree with @agm here, my i20 Asta (o) AC cooling isnt impressive either, and there are loads of people complaining about the same, pathetic is the right word I would use to describe i20's AC performance.

I am shocked that the 6 airbags model is gone, I am happy that I have it and feel extremely safe driving on the highways.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:44   #4
BHPian

I am not too happy with Magna CRDi i20's cooling as well. Yesterday i was struggling in the heat so moved back to my good old Palio D in which A/C is much more effective.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

It's disappointing to know the AC is not so good.

I'm not happy with Swift AC. Sounds like i20 might be out of the frying pan and into the fire!
Old 12th April 2010, 16:03   #6
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Mate i had my cousins i20 Asta with me for a week ,honestly i was so disappointed with the performance of the ac that i switched back to my Swift and dint use i20 for the next 6 days,though swift's ac aint the best but anyday better than i20.

Also,few i20's in the family and everyone has been complaining about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's disappointing to know the AC is not so good.

I'm not happy with Swift AC. Sounds like i20 might be out of the frying pan and into the fire!
Trust me pal Swift's ac is way better compared to i20 .
Old 12th April 2010, 20:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

So many owners complaining about A/C problems and Hyundai has still not done anything about it even after more than one year since launch!
Old 12th April 2010, 21:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
So many owners complaining about A/C problems and Hyundai has still not done anything about it even after more than one year since launch!
Is this A/C problem of i20 noticed in all variants or only some - 1.2 kappa petrol or 1.4 CRDi or 1.4 gamma AT?

Furthermore is it noticed in the manual A/C or ACC or both?

This could be a major issue considering the intensity of summers and the pricey tag, which should atleast ensure that we don't keep sweating even after buying the car!
Old 12th April 2010, 22:04   #9
BHPian

Quite a few folks have complained of the i20's A/c. Try tinting the car windows including the windshield, with the 3M or Lumar ones. It will make the cabin much cooler and therefore the A/c will be more efficient.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess they have used the same A/C unit as the i10 in i20.
As the 1.2 engine is just enough for i20, putting in a bigger A/C unit would have further put a burden - thus the smaller A/C unit and incapability in cooling.
I found no cooling problems in i10.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:47   #11
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Quite a few folks have complained of the i20's A/c. Try tinting the car windows including the windshield, with the 3M or Lumar ones. It will make the cabin much cooler and therefore the A/c will be more efficient.
I have the entire car tinted, front 3M CR70, and the rest 3M CS20 and the AC is still pathetic, sometimes I feel there is no AC and as if Hyundai has just fitted air blowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Any bigger compressor would stress the already weak engine and play havoc with the fuel efficiency and in India thats a strict NO NO.

To give you an example, yesterday I was witnessing the unboxing of a Hayabusa. A cop who resides in the same complex comes by has a look at the bike and the first question he asks is 'mileage kitna hai'. Wanted to laugh on his face but sanity prevailed.
This argument sounds good for the 1.2, but what abt the 1.4 CRDI?

I am so pissed of with the AC that I would advice prospective buyers to stay away from the i20.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

My take on my i20 CRDi a/c

For people in the front seats, it better than the Ritz A/c (Sat with my friend last week). Even at 39-40 C if I turn the A/c on full, it gets very cold in the front seat.

But thanks to the dash design, passengers in the back get little cold air...
My dad and I were barely comfortable in the rear seat last week, but then the outside temp meter was showing 42 degree C

My Accent CRDi's A/C was way better..

That said.....Hyundai must really upgrade the A/c urgently... a 7 lakh car deserves better.

p.s. I was got only side and rear window filming .. .the cheap garware ones

Last edited by AbhiJ : 12th April 2010 at 23:15.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
My take on my i20 CRDi a/c

For people in the front seats, it better than the Ritz A/c (Sat with my friend last week). Even at 39-40 C if I turn the A/c on full, it gets very cold in the front seat.

But thanks to the dash design, passengers in the back get little cold air...
My dad and I were barely comfortable in the rear seat last week, but then the outside temp meter was showing 42 degree C

My Accent CRDi's A/C was way better..

That said.....Hyundai must really upgrade the A/c urgently... a 7 lakh car deserves better.

p.s. I was got only side and rear window filming .. .the cheap garware ones
If the A/C can chill the front seats in the CRDi, I guess it should be powerful enough. Then again, it must have been the ACC version in the old i20. Am I correct?
Secondly, is there any noticeable loss of power in the CRDi (especially with 4 people) as so many have complained about in the 1.2 petrol? The specs of the "new" i20 do mention that there are rear A/C vents....is that the solution we were looking for the back bench?
Old 12th April 2010, 23:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
If the A/C can chill the front seats in the CRDi, I guess it should be powerful enough. Then again, it must have been the ACC version in the old i20. Am I correct?
Secondly, is there any noticeable loss of power in the CRDi (especially with 4 people) as so many have complained about in the 1.2 petrol? The specs of the "new" i20 do mention that there are rear A/C vents....is that the solution we were looking for the back bench?
Well.. this is a August 2009 Asta CRDi with Automatic Climate Control...

There is no loss in power with A/c + 5 ppl in the CRDi ... I think the torque of the motor makes up for that...

There are blowers in my i20 also, below the front seat, for rear passengers...

P.s. I stuck in a temperature sensor in the central blowers grill last week, the temp was 8-9 degree C. Is that good or bad?
Old 13th April 2010, 16:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Did another test...

Time 3 PM, Driving distance 3 kms/15 mins . Car was parked in the sun for 60 mins....Temperature outside / in the car was 36 degree C.

I put the sensor into the middle blower (driver's side), put the blower on Min, and the temp at Low.

Minimum Reading : 6.7 Degree C
Avg reading: Fluctuating between 7 to 8 Degree C

Now ... my questions....

Is this Good/Ok/Bad?

Most Viewed