Team-BHP - 'Strange'st electrical problem in Fiat Palio 1.2
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   'Strange'st electrical problem in Fiat Palio 1.2 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/79512-strangest-electrical-problem-fiat-palio-1-2-a.html)

Guys,

Offlate I am having this strange electrical issue with my Palio 1.2 which no one has been able to understand. I dont know where to start and what to say but I will try to be as clear as possible in explaining the problem.

The problem is that my car gives a "kat" sound, the one which comes on whenever we Indicate, whenever I use the electrical system that draws current. For example If I switch on the headligt and turn it off I can hear a "kat" or say if I press the brake or while cranking or for that matter any electrical operation.

The mornings start with this but by the time I am say 10 kms into my drive, the sporadic "kat" becomes a persistent one and the car goes "kat""kat""kat" even when there is no electrical operation! The most interesting part is that if I press the brakes, which would supply the current to the rear brake light bulbs, the "kat""kat" stops!!!! But the moment I take my foot off the brake it starts again. Similarly if I turn on the headlights, the "kat""kat" goes away but I would still do a single "kat" when I press the brake!

I have shown it to a couple of electrical mechanics here and no one is able to solve the problem. The earthing is perfect and the electrical circuit seems to have no problem whatsoever. I am perplexed as to what exactly is this?

Can any one you give me any pointers? What could be wrong?

P.S. As of now I have to drive with the headlights on even during the day to stop the kat-kat sounds which eats my head off! Its bloody irritating.

can you find the source of the sound? check the fuse relay box in the engine bay. also check the fuse box inside the cabin.

Sounds like a misbehaving relay ("cutout") to me.

Locate the relay making the sound. Replace.

Shouldn't be too expensive.

cya
R

Just do this. Might sound stupid but please do and get back.

open your boot and remove the carpet like material that covers the back of your back light assembly (on my adventure the was a slot that could be opened. I think it would be there on your car too.). Once it is removed you would be able to see the wires that go into the rear light assembly. Remove them. And try starting your car and seeing if the problem is still there. Just do a simple clean up of connectors and put them back.

Try with the Drivers side rear light console first and then the passenger side.

If removing the connectors on any of the side solve the problem. You've got your culprit.

Just check and get back.

@ Gemi - are you pointing to a "irregular" indicator thingy? but if you remember, there were no Katkat sound with the improper connection at the driver's side tail lamp assembly.

IMO it is the fuse relay in the engine bay.

@ ET - do check what gemi suggested and get back :)

@planet_rocker -- The source is the indicator flasher which is plugged under the assembly under the steering column. All the fuses in the engine bay and inside were checked and found to be of the same specifications as required.

@gemi -- I will try and get back. Thanks!

I will try and explain what exactly happens again.

1) Morning starts fine. The single "kat" sounds comes when I do any action that involves electric current. For example -- turning on and then off the headlights, press the brake pedal.
2) Half an hour into mty drive the "kat" sounds starts coming even when there is no electrical operation and its persistent kat kat.
3) If there is persistent kat kat and if I press the brake, it stops but the moment I release the brake it starts again! The same thing happens when I turn on the headlights, ie, the persistent kat kar sounds goes away but the moment I turn the headligts off the sounds comes back!

Even the mechanic was all confused. He advised me to change the combination switch but he is not guranteeing that the problem would go away. I dont want to invest 3+ k's in the combination switch not sure if the problem would go away or not.

A long shot - Could the alternator have anything to do with this?

@Iceman.... Even I am thinking the same. Could it be something to do with the alternator? The way it supplies current?

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet_rocker (Post 1837845)
@ Gemi - are you pointing to a "irregular" indicator thingy? but if you remember, there were no Katkat sound with the improper connection at the driver's side tail lamp assembly.

IMO it is the fuse relay in the engine bay.

@ ET - do check what gemi suggested and get back :)

Yup! Sort off. Just trying his luck since he said that the sound goes if he press the brake or turn on the lights. In both cases current goes to the light assembly.

@ Extreme_torque: Does the sound come even if the engine is not running and some electrical thing is turned on?

Yes. You could suspect the alternator too. But first check the simplest thing of the tail light assembly.

not sure about this, but just check the cut-out relay between the alternator and battery. Since it starts 10kms into your drive, maybe the relay which ensures the battery is cut-off fromt he charging circuit after its fully charged is misbehaving. just my 2 cents

Guys,

The problem has aggravated itself. The "Kat" "Kat" sound is not going away now, no matter what I do.

@D-Nav --> Thanks! I will check it out. If that is the case then it will also be overcharging the battery and damaging it.

did you try and change the indicator flasher? does the sound come when the indicator flasher is unplugged?

@planet... The mechanic did tried this but the new indicator flasher also started doing kar kat! So atleast the flasher is not at fault.

So you mean to say its the relay thats making sound? If so first thing is to completely check the turn light wiring, connectors, earthing points etc.

I might be wrong here, but is this anything to do with the combination switch? just making a wild guess since that kat kat might also come if there is some internal loose connection in the switch.