Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 17:03   #106
BHPian

Re: The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Hey Anurag - that is one option I am willing to try but availability of Genuine parts for Ford is still a problem - isn't it ? I don't think they sell it over the counter.

For aftermarket parts - again the same trust issues exist.
They do. Check fords India website for local distributor.

PS: Not all FNGs use duplicate parts. Talk to them beforehand and get an idea.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 10:51   #107
BHPian

I have a pre-owned Fiesta (Nov 2010 Model) that I purchased at 76k km on the ODO.
Till date the things (engine related) I have had to change are these:
1. Clutch and related (at 90K km, it was running on the original)
2. Speed Sensor

Previous owner had replaced the belts at 60/70K mark. No issues with the engine so far. Running very healthy at 110K (recently serviced)

The advisor informed me that I should get the timing kit replaced at the next service (pulleys and belt). Reading up online about how important is this. Any advice on the forum would be useful.

Thanks!
Old 21st February 2019, 11:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2013 Figo diesel which has been regularly serviced at Ford authorised service centres and overall experience has been mixed bag.

Car was not reliable at all. Since early days of door squeaks, to engine check light, V belt breaking in middle of highway and gear box Bush giving away stuck in 3rd gear in middle of rush hour traffic.

I had it all. At 90k kms engine oil started mixing with coolant. Post which I took it to Ford service centre, they replaced oil cooler along with couple hoses and coolant bottle. Issue was resolved for couple of months.

Then post 1.1L kms service which costed me 40k with turbo being replaced, heater core, cooling coil etc. Now post 2k kms of this service oil is again mixing with coolant.

At 1.1L kms service also I highlighted issues that coolant bootle is getting empty every 3 days and I suspected a leak from radiator but there was none.

During service they said that it's due to heater core and it will be resolved. Few days back when I checked coolant bootle was all black with no coolant. I poured some water and there was alot of oil.

All this within 2k kms of last big service. I immediately took it to authorised service centre near my home where I have been going for service. They said oil cooler is gone along with head gasket. I asked them to change then they came back and said that engine has to be done again or replaced as there is water inside engine.

Now I'm back with a faulty car after spending 40k on last service post which suddenly all these issues came up. And yes never ever have I driven with engine temperature being higher than normal. All services done as per schedule with ad hock work.

Now I'm forced to write this car off with whatever I get. All these in 5.5 yrs and 1.1L kms. I am never going to get a Ford again and will advice all my peers for the same.
sameerg001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:00   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart22 View Post

Previous owner had replaced the belts at 60/70K mark. No issues with the engine so far. Running very healthy at 110K (recently serviced)

The advisor informed me that I should get the timing kit replaced at the next service (pulleys and belt). Reading up online about how important is this. Any advice on the forum would be useful.

Thanks!
When you say all belts were replaced by the previous owner, did that include the timing belt? If not, it is very important that you change it. Its normal life is 1 lakh kms. If that snaps, it will cost you plenty to repair your engine.
Old 21st February 2019, 13:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
When you say all belts were replaced by the previous owner, did that include the timing belt? If not, it is very important that you change it. Its normal life is 1 lakh kms. If that snaps, it will cost you plenty to repair your engine.
Every ASC gives different answer as they wish. Ford has not mentioned this very important replacement in their owner's manual. Couple of links I found suggest to replace it at 10 year mark or 200,000 / 240,000 km mark.

https://www.contitech.de/getmedia/8d...-intervals.pdf

https://www.completecar.ie/askusanyt...10-Ford-Fiesta

I talked to local FNG and he claimed it is 5 years or 120,000 km.

For me, I plan to change at 10 year mark.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I talked to local FNG and he claimed it is 5 years or 120,000 km.

For me, I plan to change at 10 year mark.
Thanks. I too did not change it on my petrol Fiesta till it completed 10 years, and the odo was only 70000 then. I did it only after my neighbour's timing chain on his Manza snapped, leading to expensive repairs.

I also have a 6-year old Figo tdci that has run 71000 kms so far. I plan to change the timing belt after a couple of years, by when the odo may be around 90000 kms. I did change the drive belt and some other associated belt and pulley/ dampener when the odo was around 42 K.
Old 21st February 2019, 18:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I have a pre-owned Fiesta (Nov 2010 Model) that I purchased at 76k km on the ODO.
Till date the things (engine related) I have had to change are these:
1. Clutch and related (at 90K km, it was running on the original)
2. Speed Sensor

Thanks!
110000km on the odo and 9 years old vehicle,needs a timing kit replacement in my opinion.I previously owned a Figo diesel and am aware of how expensive some parts can be post warranty.Even if a technician says the decision can be postponed,it is better to replace it now.The expenditure is reasonable enough compared to what you will be paying in case of a timing kit failure.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 19:16   #113
Senior - BHPian

My petrol fiesta 1.6, the timing chain replacement was done around the 100K mark. Worth doing in my opinion. I did it with the A.S.S itself for simplicity, but a good FNG can deal with it. Definitely not worth avoiding if a good mechanic recommends it. If you have any doubts about the A.S.S just suggesting it for the extra business, take it to an FNG and check. For my fiesta I recently needed to re-sleeve a cylinder which wasn't firing. Other than that, good engine, provided maintenance is done on time
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:48   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
My petrol fiesta 1.6, the timing chain replacement was done around the 100K mark. Worth doing in my opinion. I did it with the A.S.S itself for simplicity, but a good FNG can deal with it. Definitely not worth avoiding if a good mechanic recommends it. If you have any doubts about the A.S.S just suggesting it for the extra business, take it to an FNG and check. For my fiesta I recently needed to re-sleeve a cylinder which wasn't firing. Other than that, good engine, provided maintenance is done on time
For Duratec engines, timing belt replacement is a simple affair as long as timing is locked by a timing pin BEFORE loosening the crankshaft pulley. If it's it a big job to fix the timing again. Make sure local FNG knows this before touching the car.
Old 28th February 2019, 20:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
110000km on the odo and 9 years old vehicle,needs a timing kit replacement in my opinion.I previously owned a Figo diesel and am aware of how expensive some parts can be post warranty.Even if a technician says the decision can be postponed,it is better to replace it now.The expenditure is reasonable enough compared to what you will be paying in case of a timing kit failure.
I got my answer here
Attached Thumbnails
The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford-15513663578428673761680245759963.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks