Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 08:44   #1
BHPian

Verna AC Problem

Hi All,

First of all pardon me if this is the wrong place for this post. I am in considerable distress and need help.

I own an Oct 2007 Verna VGT non ABS. Currently I am facing a problem with its AC. My car’s AC stops working in afternoon when outside temperature is high. It starts happening at Low RPMs first (i.e. AC stops working at red lights) and gradually it stops working altogether. This first happened about a week back. I reside in Noida and I gave my car to Nimbus Hyundai for repair. I was told that car’s coolant was old and there was less than adequate gas in AC. I asked them to carry out repairs, and after repairs car was returned to me. AC was still doing the same thing and I gave the car back, this time I was told that there was problem with engine head and as a result car is getting heated and ECU is shutting off the AC. They have told me Engine head needs overhauling and in worst case replacement and expenses can range from 25000 to 50000(car is out of warranty). Now I have following questions.

1. I have never noticed temperature gauge going beyond normal. Is it possible that engine heats and it does not register on gauge? If that’s the case how can Nimbus’s deduction be right?
2. Do you think Nimbus can be trusted to carry out repairs suggested by them?
3. Should I get my car checked at other Hyundai dealership like Hyundai motor plaza? There is always a long waiting time at HMP for appointment.
4. Can you suggest some place other than Hyundai dealerships that can check my car and give me honest feedback and possibly carry out repairs?
5. My car met with an accident in May 2008 and there was no damage caused to AC or Engine but still could it be related to present problem?

help me.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Post edited since it contained various [FONT],[COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th April 2010 at 09:15.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

The symptoms you describe is quite consistent with engine coolant leakage. The coolant has leaked out somehow and you've run the car without coolant for a while. The headgasket has blown and your engine is quite possibly ruined.

This had happened to a friend of mine's dad's car recently. The AC kept getting cut off and he gave it to a Hyundai A.S.S. They couldn't find out what's wrong. A couple of days later, the engine seized and they found out that it's been running without coolant for several days. However, Hyundai did the whole work under warranty. The bill was 2L+.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does not seem to be an engine problem I would think ( But then again I am no auto tech person )

Your best bet would be to get your car checked at - HMP - agreed there is a long waiting list BUT try speaking to someone, they are mostly helpful. Waiting list is mainly for periodical service and free services. In your case it's an AC problem. Maybe they will give you an appointment in a 1-2 days. At least get one.

The other service centres I can vouch for is Safdarjung Hyundai ( Gurgaon ). They are excellent and honest people.

Also you can show your car to Moolchand Hyundai - the service centre behind the petrol pump in Vasant Vihar ( of the imported cars fame ) His is an ASC of Hyundai.

Coolant could be a reason BUT if you topped up then I do not think so.

Did you top up the gas as well ?
Old 19th April 2010, 11:53   #4
BHPian

vickey_jai, a few months ago, my SA in advaith hyundai Bangalore was telling me about a similar issue he handled. I am not sure if it is exactly the same but i have a gut feeling that it might be. If you wish to get his number, PM me. I will PM you his number. He said he spent almost a fortnight solving that issue and he was telling that it was a very tricky issue and that he was relieved to have solved. Just try your luck before spending your hard earned money.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The symptoms you describe is quite consistent with engine coolant leakage. The coolant has leaked out somehow and you've run the car without coolant for a while. The headgasket has blown and your engine is quite possibly ruined.
Thats quite disappointing to know. Infact the radiator was changed this december for quite a different reason. I gave my car to Hyundai A.S.S because heating was not working. They said radiator was not providing adequate pressure hence no heating. I did not understand the reason but trusted them and got the radiator changed.But at no point did I notice my car getting heated.
In case of your friend's car, was it noticed on Temprature gauge ? In my case I have never seen Temprature gauge going beyond normal. Without coolant will it not reach red zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Your best bet would be to get your car checked at - HMP - agreed there is a long waiting list BUT try speaking to someone, they are mostly helpful. Waiting list is mainly for periodical service and free services. In your case it's an AC problem. Maybe they will give you an appointment in a 1-2 days. At least get one.
I have tried calling different numbers but everyone tells me to go through appointment route.Can you suggest whom shuold I contact to get an early appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Did you top up the gas as well ?
Yes I topped up the gas

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th April 2010 at 12:26. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for moderator approval to edit the original post.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickey_jai View Post

3. Should I get my car checked at other Hyundai dealership like Hyundai motor plaza? There is always a long waiting time at HMP for appointment.

4. Can you suggest some place other than Hyundai dealerships that can check my car and give me honest feedback and possibly carry out repairs?
Since this is a expensive repair job, i would suggest you to get the car checked at as many other places as possible. Please stick to Hyundai authorised service centers only.

Drop me a PM If you plan to visit Gurgaon anytime soon, i'll get it checked through my trusted Service advisor at Superon Hyundai.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to TECHNICAL SECTION.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Check with another hyundai dealer? yes AC can get cut off if engine overheats, ECU's have these override programs built in. First and foremost confirm if its the engine overheating and decent workshop could help you with this. If thats the case, check the coolant circuit first, if not move towards head etc.

Strongly suggest you take a second opinion from another workshop before you proceed further.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Drop me a PM If you plan to visit Gurgaon anytime soon, i'll get it checked through my trusted Service advisor at Superon Hyundai.
Thanks a lot anshuman. I will definately trouble you with a request for help. At the moment I have got an appointment at HMP on 23rd. I am hoping guys there will honestly tell me whats wrong. If they repeat the same story I have no option but to ask for your help.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:57   #10
BHPian

sorry if i am OT. my friends accent viva has a burned smell when switching on the ac (ac is not working also) . what could be the reason?? . he took it to H.A.S.S. and they said would need a day to fix
Old 21st April 2010, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
sorry if i am OT. my friends accent viva has a burned smell when switching on the ac (ac is not working also) . what could be the reason?? . he took it to H.A.S.S. and they said would need a day to fix
More info please.. (compressor clutch sound coming? etc) and does the blower work when you switch it on? I mean atleast hot air is thrown ? if no then it might be burnt blower motor and hence the smell.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:53   #12
BHPian

I am quoting from Indica Vista Thread...

"The AC problem was due to the auto cutoff of AC before reaching the desired temperature. So the defect had been taken care of in the newer version of ECU's software. The happy news is, this ECU reconfiguration will done at all cities gradually."

Could there be a problem with my Verna's ECU. Could the temp sensors be faulty or ECU program is malfunctioning. Will HASS rewrite ECU firmware on my request?
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:01   #13
BHPian

I have finally given my car to HMP.I was told that they will get back to me around 1:30 PM after a test drive. Yet to hear from them.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
More info please.. (compressor clutch sound coming? etc) and does the blower work when you switch it on? I mean atleast hot air is thrown ? if no then it might be burnt blower motor and hence the smell.
H.A.S.S has reverted saying the compressor coil have burned off . 6K is quoted for replacement
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
H.A.S.S has reverted saying the compressor coil have burned off . 6K is quoted for replacement
H.A.S.S. always quotes a premium price.
you can check with any good Car A.C. Mechanic and I am sure it would be 50% of the quoted amount for the coil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks