Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Esteem Diesel AC Compressor Needs Replacment

Hi Team,

I drive an Esteem Diesel (yes u read that right friends)

Its been my workhorse for quite some time now.Recently the AC compressor died on me . I need advice from the forum of a good AC mechanic in Bombay who can help me get a replacement .

The parts are hard to find since the casing/fittings for the Esteem petrol and Diesel are different, i have checked and verified this information,rest of the parts are same .

If someone knows a good mechanic who is reliable and know his stuff please advice me asap. The heat here in Bombay is killing as you all would know.

Thanks & Regards.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:11   #2
BHPian

what is the exact issue you are suffering, as my compressor's bearing are making a lot of noise, and car's a/c is not cooling if car is stationery. (my mechanic told me compressor cant be repaired and even if you repair its temporary and waste of money) When I am driving a/c works fine.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I go, and have been going for over a decade, to Four Seasons (Tardeo) for all my air-conditioning requirements. They are amongst the best when it comes to a/c's. Drop them a call & book an appointment. I'm sure they'd easily be able to fix your unit.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Hello GTO,

Thanks for the update.

This is the info i found online

4 Seasons Automobiles P L

24 Tardeo Rd , Jaywant Indl Estate ,
Tardeo , Mumbai: 400034
Tel. No.56633993

Please let me knwo if this info is correct .....
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
what is the exact issue you are suffering, as my compressor's bearing are making a lot of noise, and car's a/c is not cooling if car is stationery. (my mechanic told me compressor cant be repaired and even if you repair its temporary and waste of money) When I am driving a/c works fine.

It started on a Similar note and the car when stationary started to heat up.
In a couple of days driving with the noise sparks were observed when i switch on the ac , the pully which is connected the power steering belt for the ac was producing sparks ,got it checked and found that ac compressor was dead

Will be going to the place suggested by GTO and update you if they are able to solve the issue.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
It started on a Similar note and the car when stationary started to heat up.
In a couple of days driving with the noise sparks were observed when i switch on the ac , the pully which is connected the power steering belt for the ac was producing sparks ,got it checked and found that ac compressor was dead

Will be going to the place suggested by GTO and update you if they are able to solve the issue.
@jimmy_u: I too own an esteem diesel and had the exact same problem. I got my AC compressor changed at vashi. If you need any info on this then let me konw.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
@jimmy_u: I too own an esteem diesel and had the exact same problem. I got my AC compressor changed at vashi. If you need any info on this then let me konw.
Hi ,

Thanks for the update.

It would be great if you could share the details of the place where you had the compressor replaced.

If you can also share the cost and time it took i would really appriciate it .

Thanks & Regards.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ,

Thanks for the update.

It would be great if you could share the details of the place where you had the compressor replaced.

If you can also share the cost and time it took i would really appriciate it .

Thanks & Regards.

The esteel Di is mostly driven by my father and also maintained by him. He recommends not to go to this guy unless you are out of optioins.

AC compressor + gas charging + Labor: 15000.
Cooling coil: another 5000.

The AC compressor was replaced about a year ago. The job was done well and my father was satisfied with this guy. But, some months ago, when the evaoprator was to be changed, thats when he lost trust in this guy. The quality of work was not upto the mark and he tends to overcharge. Parts quality also cant be trusted. The evaporator that he had fit was faulty and my father faced a lot of problem till the problem was ultimately solved

Currently, all the AC system is working fine, but my dad has decided not to go to him in future.

This is where I got the job done:
Aircon
Behind Neel Sidhi Towers.
Sector 12, Vashi.
Mr. Sonu (27801019).

My suggestion: Parts availability is a problem for Esteem Di. I suggest that you go to Shetty Motors and get the parts and get it fit at some reputed mechanic. Four Seasons at Tardeo is good.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Hi benzinblut,

Thanks for the update.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:54   #10

I think The Compressor is Same in Esteem D and Zen D, A new compressor from Subros will cost around 10 K
Old 4th May 2010, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avis_gan View Post
I think The Compressor is Same in Esteem D and Zen D, A new compressor from Subros will cost around 10 K
Hi avis_gan,

You are correct my friend.

They are the same.

I am contemplating to exchange this car as the exchange and repair are costing me the same price of 20000/- .
Old 4th May 2010, 13:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi avis_gan,

You are correct my friend.

They are the same.
Yes Esteel Di and Zen Di had the same engine and the AC parts are the same as well. Infact its easy to procure if you ask for ZenD parts rather than EsteemD parts. I think there were more ZenD sold than EsteemD.

Quote:
I am contemplating to exchange this car as the exchange and repair are costing me the same price of 20000/- .
What does that mean? You will be getting a difference of 20K on a new buy against this esteemD? what year and model is your car?
Old 4th May 2010, 14:36   #13
BHPian

Dear benzinblut,1868618]

I have asked for zen and esteem di parts but its like finding a needle in a haystack.

i am exchanging my old Esteem Diesel with this car and the difference quoted is Rs 22500/-

Specifications of the car !!!

Opel corsa 1.6 GLS
37000 KMs run
single owner
Dec 2003

Please let me know your feedback , if this car is a good buy !!!
Old 4th May 2010, 15:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dear benzinblut,1868618]

I have asked for zen and esteem di parts but its like finding a needle in a haystack.

i am exchanging my old Esteem Diesel with this car and the difference quoted is Rs 22500/-

Specifications of the car !!!

Opel corsa 1.6 GLS
37000 KMs run
single owner
Dec 2003

Please let me know your feedback , if this car is a good buy !!!
Did you enquiry at MarutiASS? Theres also a shop 'Shetty Motors' in bombay (near keneddy bridge/opera house) and in new bombay. They could have this AC compressor.

Before doing any comparison, i need the following info:
Whats the year and month of your Esteem?
Is it Esteem D or Di?
What FE do you get in the Esteem?
how many km has it done?
Apart from ac compressor, are any other non standard parts (not sharing parts from petrol esteem) that are due for replacement?

I suggest that you read on ownership reviews of the opel corsa. I think that older cars are high on maintenance costs and parts availability is a problem.
Old 5th May 2010, 06:30   #15
BHPian

Dear benzinblut;

following info:

Whats the year and month of your Esteem?
may 2003

Is it Esteem D or Di?
Di

What FE do you get in the Esteem?
15 appox

how many km has it done?
1.2 lacs

Apart from ac compressor, are any other non standard parts (not sharing parts from petrol esteem) that are due for replacement?

The cars cooling system
shocks

nothing else i can think of now

I suggest that you read on ownership reviews of the opel corsa. I think that older cars are high on maintenance costs and parts availability is a problem.[/quote]

I agree, maintenance i can live with as the parts for diesel esteem are also expensive when found , also my running was around 2000 kms a month which has now reduced to 1000 kms .

Let me know ur thoughs !!

Most Viewed