Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 14:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

New oil harmful to the engine? Tata Safari 3.0 - problem

Dear all,

I have a 2007 Safari 3.0. It's covered a shade over 40,000kms. It's been serviced regularly and drives very well. Now recently, it suffered a hiccup. There was a massive oil leak under the car one night.

To be on the safe side, the Safari was towed to the workshop the next day. The source of the leak was the oil filter. The car was delivered back, but the leak returned a few days later. This time, the service centre is telling me it needs to replace:

Crank oil seal
Cam seal
F.B pump gasket
Chamber packing

Now the Safari is covered in the 4 year bumper to bumper extended warranty. But the service guys are telling me that the above parts are not covered. But on their website, it says something to the lines that the seals are covered. Here's the link. If you read to the coverage under Engine, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know

I called up the helpline, but they didn't know much. But they put me on to the Regional service manager who I haven't been able to get in touch with.

Does anybody know anything about the extended warranty coverage.

Important:

All this while, I had been using the Tata supplied engine oil. Last oil change, I shifted to Delo 400. The car had been running on regular oil till 30,000kms. Could the shift to Delo have something to do with sudden leakage from seals? The Delo had run for 10,000kms after the leakage was spotted. The Safari 3.0 has a 10,000kms interval oil change.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Drifter
Old 20th April 2010, 15:34   #2
BHPian

if their website says its covered, why on earth the service guys are putting their own logic ?
ask them to read it and get back to you.

most extended warranties have you covered for OIL seals.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but the service advisor is adamant that the parts aren't covered. This also when the website says that seals are covered. It doesn't say any particular type of seal but seals.

I got in touch with the regional manager. He has asked for details and will get back to me. But in case he doesn't I need to know if someone has dealt with a similar problem.

Drifter
Old 20th April 2010, 16:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the change to Delo 400 would have cause your oil seals to cave in. Did you flush the engine by any chance before the switch?

I have not had an experience similar to yours, but if you have a documentation (paper work) of what is covered / not covered, and if it says oil seals are covered then you are on safe grounds - stand firm. If it is documented in the website alone (no paperwork), have a screenshot / saved copy of the web page least they should change it - again, stand your ground.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

My extended warranty booklet is with the dealership.

No I didn't flush the engine before shifting to new oil. The change was also carried out at the authorised dealership.

Also how long does the suspension last since there are so many owners here with high mileage cars. I've covered 40k, suspension is good enough. It is absorbing most of the bumps, but the sharp joints come through more than usual these days. But to be fair, I don't drive on very good roads and don't slow down much for bumps either.

Drifter
Old 20th April 2010, 17:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Regarding suspension, its the bushes. Get them changed at around 50K or so. Thats the expected life. cost will be close to 4K
As for seals and warranty, raise a stink with Tata customer care. They will eventually give you warranty. Most dealers try to wriggle out of extended warranty, do not let them.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
drifter : The source of the leak was the oil filter.
If the source of the leak was the oil filter, then why are they asking you to get changed the crank oil seals, cam seal etc ?

Quote:
drifter : The car was delivered back, but the leak returned a few days later.
Does this mean that the prev leak was not actually from the oil filter, or is this a new leak ?

I dont think the RSM will help. Better with feedback when TM calls for feedback.

Quote:
drifter : Last oil change, I shifted to Delo 400. The car had been running on regular oil till 30,000kms. Could the shift to Delo have something to do with sudden leakage from seals? The Delo had run for 10,000kms after the leakage was spotted.
When you moved to Delo, where did you do it ? At TAS.S or outside ?

If the Safari has run 10k since the switch, then it shouldn't be the Delo - as much as a resultant of poor servicing at that time. Have you observed any oil leaks in between - something small that you neglected ?

Did you get the oil changed at 40k ? Any other work done just before the oil leak ?

OT: Chevron is said to be out of the Indian market, so you will need to move away from Delo now.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Condor,

The first time the leak was discovered was when the car had covered approximately 8,000kms on Delo 400. This leak was traced to the oil filter. I had seen the leak myself from around the region.

The dealership changed the culprit oil filter and changed the oil as well. This time the regular oil was filled (like you said no delo in the market). After a few days, I saw drops of oil again. Sent the car back. This time they wanted me to change those seals I mentioned.

All the oil changes and services including the Delo 400 filling was done at TASS.

But one thing is there a few months before the leak was actually noticed, my car was parked in the office basement for more than 3 weeks. When I finally drove it out, there was a patch of something wet under the car. But I assumed it was not oil from here because some of our older office cars are also parked there at times. I double checked this in my home parking and didn't find oil drops. Suddenly at 8,000kms, I saw this massive leak, a drop almost every second.

Drifter
Old 27th April 2010, 17:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Update:

I had been in touch with the regional manager over extended warranty issue. I've just been informed by the dealership that the bus is ready and will be delivered at home tonight.

The important bit is that the bill amount is 'zero' and everything has been fixed free of cost. Can only tell the work details once the Safari is back. But I'm surely glad that I'm not paying the initial estimate of Rs 8,000 for the oil seals. Hats off to Tata for their customer service.

Drifter
Old 28th April 2010, 11:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Right. Here are the details of the work done FOC.

1. Oil Sump Gasket
2. Oil Seal Timing G H-Silicon
3. Sealer
4. Gasket-TGH Cover
5. Gasket (Support Inj. Pump)
6. Standard Checks (FIP High Pressure Pipe Packing Replaced)
7. Sump Gasket Renew
8. Crankcase Ventilation Hose-Renew (Replaced Front Oil Seal)
9. Standard Checks (Timing Cover Gasket Replaced)

All this was done at no cost to the me and the bus was delivered home all shiny and gleamy. I'd like to thank the regional manager for his intervention without which I was probably looking at a bill of Rs 8,000.

Problem seems to have gone away, no oil under the car. Will revert after a few days to confirm whether the problem has indeed gone away.

I'd also like to add a word of appreciation for the Tata-Fiat workshop at Worli. These guys are probably the better service centres in Bombay. Both the Palio and Safari are well taken care of here.

Now if only someone could suggest a good Honda dealership for my 2001 City.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks