Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2005, 19:55   #1
BHPian

Zen - Running in (engine noise)

I have a new zen .. now 370kms old and i am following all the run-in instructions. Right from the first day, whether the engine is hot or not, i keep giving some low level screetching noises (barely heard from inside). Actually i never hear the engine from inside, but today i opened the doors and i kept listening to it.
Whenever i revv, the noise goes off, and then when i release my accelerator, and the engine goes down to normal idling, and the moment it reaches idling it makes this noise and it comes quite regulary, though not constantly.

Any issues with the car ? Should i get it checked even before the first service scheduled for 24th october.
Old 11th October 2005, 20:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Could be belt noise. Take it back to the dealer and let him have a look.
Old 11th October 2005, 20:31   #3
BHPian

It is the fan belt noise, and it seems is normal for all Zens, that is what I was told by the Service Centre guys.
Old 11th October 2005, 20:50   #4
BHPian

the screeching noise is common in the zen..I hear this everyday when my car is started and idling...it goes on untill u rev the engine and then it disappears...
What I did was applied a bit of engine oil and the sound disappeared, but again when the belt became dry and after some dust deposited on the belt, it started making noise again....
looks like I need to make that a weekly routine, by oiling the belt a bit...
The reason what I found is the splashing mud that comes from the right wheel and deposits on the belt....if there is an option to cover that open patch, the prob will be solved...
Old 11th October 2005, 21:18   #5
BHPian

right ...

It does seem to be a normal thing, based on the posts and a pm that i got. thank god now i am a bit relieved. otherwise the zen works great and runs smoothly.
Also I am making sure that i follow the rules of run-in. Actually i am used to fast acceleration (as i do with my current bike yamaha ybx), there are times when at red lights i am the one who is so much in front the moment the red light turns into green that most often i keep wondering if green light travels into my head faster than other souls or .... . Anyways i have resisted my natural desire to revv hard, even if that means hearing honking , i dont care .

Also when people talk of revv so much i feel, every car should have a rev meter (tacho) even if that means taking some more money. Why only highend (vxi) have it, now with an Lxi Zen black , i have to be satisfied with understanding the engine by feeling how hard its working... its like trying to understand and read the engine from the way it sounds ... (might be a good exercise for the brain). And of course the headache of keeping my black car clean, though yes it looks too good, and i know everything good comes with a price and not everything that glitters is black

ps: hope i am sticking to the only 1 smilies rule, sometimes i actually put it more.
Old 11th October 2005, 21:39   #6
BHPian

Yeah, its a pity that the Zen does not have a tacho...anyways, I'm gonna plonk a pricol tacho that costed me just 950rs and its cool.....need to complete the wriring and find a good place on the dash to fix it..
otherwise the zen runs great and its mileage is really good!
Old 12th October 2005, 09:06   #7
BHPian

tacho in hyderabad

I did ask a car accessory dealer here in hyderabad, he was scratching his head on hearing about tacho/rpm meter, he kept on saying that its there in all cars (he thought its speedometer), the with a lot of difficulty he understood, and he said he will look for one, but i was myself afraid since a person who had no clue about tachos, might as well put in anything.... and i will have holes everywhere.

Now coming to the point, where will i get this pricol tacho in hyderabad, i would love it get it on my zen. Also does this have those red and green indicators where whenever the red blinks it gives a warning that the revvs are higher that the set value (lets say 2000 rpm).

(Is there something like that or did i dream about it ?????? )
Old 12th October 2005, 12:50   #8
BHPian

Fieroid, where did you get that pricol tacho from ? I would like to get one for my zen , I've been trying for so long.
Old 12th October 2005, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Tacho Tacho ... please

Even i want one, i think there are quite a few threads with this information like this one

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6757

But i think its not available in hyderabad :-( , maybe i have to search myself ... i know its a hard work, but i make it a point to search in bike and not cars :-) , bikes are anytime useful for such things .. park anywhere jump out , and then next shop again repeat the process. :-)

But yes please let us know where we can get the tachos ... or atleast better references to threads where this information is available. The thought of green and red lights and the meter showing the revvs is making me happy, unfortunately i did not know about this else i would have gone in for Vxi. Anyways its not too late , i can do mods now ....
Old 12th October 2005, 16:00   #10
BHPian

Tacho again ...

skidrock ... I said its not available in hyderabad based on your feedback in one of the posts the one for which i gave a link in the last post :-) did not realize that its you here too. So maybe i will start a fresh search and to people who have got it in hyderabad it would be nice if they can tell where its available.

Or any online way of getting it ?

Lemme know i will surely search for it on ministers road atleast to start with.

Last edited by gchandra : 12th October 2005 at 16:01.
Old 12th October 2005, 18:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrock
Fieroid, where did you get that pricol tacho from ? I would like to get one for my zen , I've been trying for so long.
I got mine thru my electrician at TVS express car care. He picked it for 950 and it works really neat..gotta find a good place on the dash to mount it. The tacho has a redlining needle, so u can set your own peak points for shifting. This tacho is for all 4 cylinder cars and the best part is that its still cheap at 950rs for a car. thanks pricol!
Old 12th October 2005, 20:33   #12
BHPian

Tacho - some more gyaan

Actually read some websites. There are some others like the autogauge meters and seems they have a distribution in india too, see this link http://www.autogauge.com.tw/web/comp...stribution.asp and the only thing they goofed up is the fact that they put india in middle east instead of asia :-) seems geographical knowledge of people outside india about india is low.

Anyways the product lines are at http://www.autogauge.com.tw/web/products/products.asp

There are quite a lot of tachos with shift lights and also digital ones... man these people are great.
Seems they are taiwan based. My brother is in Hong Kong lemme see if he can get one for me , but the only question, will it work in india ? I have sent a mail to them lets see when they reply (hope they understand english) and i asked them where in india i can get this that too in hyderabad (i am sure they might be searching for hyderabad now). They seem to have an add to shopping cart button, but i have to create an id and see what they add and where they distribute i am sure getting it online might not be possible for india, since the international courier would be very costly.

Pricol since its an indian company will surely have better availablity i guess, but then the only issue being these people are distributors for automobile companies, today i checked my bike and i was surprised to see that the gauges are from pricol, never in my 5 years i saw that ;-) , might have to see my cars gauges they too might be from pricol !!! Anyways my bike gauges have stopped working ..

Seems the more i know about the non availablities the more eager i am getting ...
Old 12th October 2005, 21:21   #13
BHPian

so many tachos !!!!

see this

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...r+shift+lights

Interesting to see so many tachos, there are even digital ones, and there are some as simple as an LED which lights up and tells you to change the gears (possibly the cheapest and yet best option)

Though i know its way off the original posting i made, but anyways its related to engine , so i went ahead and continued. Lets see where it leads to, lemme do some more research.

people in US are also lucky

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tle=tachometer

Last edited by gchandra : 12th October 2005 at 21:25.
Old 12th October 2005, 21:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchandra
today i checked my bike and i was surprised to see that the gauges are from pricol, never in my 5 years i saw that ;-) , might have to see my cars gauges they too might be from pricol !!! .
yes the car gauges are also from pricol atleast all maruti cars have pricol speedometers.

hey fieroid
is your zen a carb zen or mpfi. and where are you planning to place the tacho.

rev
Old 13th October 2005, 18:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
yes the car gauges are also from pricol atleast all maruti cars have pricol speedometers.

hey fieroid
is your zen a carb zen or mpfi. and where are you planning to place the tacho.

rev
My ZEN has an mpfi engine.
I'm planning to mount the tacho on the right pillar...so what i plan to do is rotate the inside dial so that I can fix the tacho using a 3M sticker. I found that I have an option of either mounting it on the pillar or the winshield...infact it looks classy from inside wid the tacho on the windshield...I'll complete the mount this weekend and post the pics. i dont wanna make any hole on teh dash!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks