Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 21:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
1. Your car's done only 88,000 Kms, that's not the mileage at which you replace the guts of your engine. An 800's 'half-engine' is ~12K from Maruti & consists of a new block, pistons, con-rods, & crankshaft. You can instead have the old engine taken apart & overhauled, any out-of-spec or worn parts can be replaced as required. By going with the half-engine you'd be replacing the hardiest components of the engine (more than likely they're not the cause of the 'noises' you're hearing).

2. Once again, the quotes seem excessive - the Alto's rack, for example, costs around 2.4K only ! Have the steering system serviced & any worn bearings & seals replaced. These are simple mechanical components & can be serviced easily.

3. Yes, R12 A/C gas is not available at Maruti service centers anymore. You can however find road-side auto A/C shops who will readily fill R12 gas for you.
Yogi, srini's advice is absolutely spot on. Get the engine checked ad overhauled if required, from a small local garage. The Maruti 800 has very basic and robust engineering and any decent local garage should be able to do a fine job. The same with the steering and the A/C.

The 800 should be back in fine nick on the road for something like 20K, after all, it is still India's cheapest car to maintain (not sure about the Nano).

Your wife should polish her driving skills on the 800. It's nice and small, with good visibility and she likes the car. It's perfect. Make sure you teach her everything there is to learn: how to parallel park, road etiquette's, starting on a slope etc.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Yogi, srini's advice is absolutely spot on. Get the engine checked ad overhauled if required, from a small local garage. The Maruti 800 has very basic and robust engineering and any decent local garage should be able to do a fine job. The same with the steering and the A/C.

The 800 should be back in fine nick on the road for something like 20K, after all, it is still India's cheapest car to maintain (not sure about the Nano).

Your wife should polish her driving skills on the 800. It's nice and small, with good visibility and she likes the car. It's perfect. Make sure you teach her everything there is to learn: how to parallel park, road etiquette's, starting on a slope etc.
If you can get it fixed for under 20 grand, go for it. If not, then drive it in its present condition and see if you can pick up a new Nano, or, if you want to stick with Maruti, then see if you can manage to buy a new A-Star (this is the current Alto in other markets, no point buying old tech IMO)
I would stay away from used in this segment. Its hard to find them in good condition and one can never say how badly they have been abused.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:08   #18

I suggest you should sell off your 800. Getting 80K itself is a surprise to me. You might get max 50 k for M800 which has run almost 1lakh kms.
You can buy a secondhand spark for your wife. Two reasons
1) Spark is too good for ladies
2) You will get in cheap rate and that too pretty new ones
Old 27th April 2010, 00:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

If your sole purpose of keeping the car around is for polishing the driving skills, no need to even get a paint job. A peeled off paint would actually help other errant drivers stay clear from the car. So a rule of thumb would be if you are going to keep the car, get all the mechanical work done, leave all the cosmetics for now.

I had a 2002 Maruti 800 5 speed with AC model (purchased used in 2004) and clocked about 60K after I bought it. No engine work was ever required, the steering assembly and clutch assembly were replaced after about 70K, which cost me approximately 10-12 K together. So the steering assembly cost quoted by you doesn't quite match.

You wouldn't get 80K for this car (unless you blackmailed someone into paying you as much). A realistic estimate would be 50K or less. You can spend on the mechanicals, keep the car in good running condition and then use it in the family for the new drivers to learn the ropes on. You could pass it on to your next of kin once your wife learns to drive. This way, you can retain the car in case of emergencies or as a backup (like when your other car goes in for servicing/repairs), your relatives will praise you always and after a couple of years, you may still be able to make about 20K or so on it.
Old 17th July 2010, 09:34   #20
BHPian

Hello Yogi,
You are certainly being conned by MASS. Please check this thread of a Maruti overhaul after 2lack km:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html

The whole job was done at a much cheaper price. I myself have a Maruti 96 model that has done more than 85k and is doing well. Be wise, spend less and keep this car. This car is known for its cheap repair and maintenance cost.

Most Viewed