Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 14:41   #16
BHPian

I own an i20 Magna. The gear shifts are generally smooth. Occasionally the first gear and reverse gear dont engage properly.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Have an i20 Crdi

The gearbox / gear change is very smooth...

However, note that the i20 requires you to completely press the clutch before a gear change.

So in your next TD, move the seat a little forward, press the clutch into the floor, and then try changing gears..s
Old 17th May 2010, 17:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
some of the i10’s and i20’s came out with faulty gear boxes about a month ago and they were quietly recalled and the gear boxes changed to avoid Media Glare

- Source XYZ Hyundai, Bangalore spy
One of my friends advised this to me last week! is it true?
Old 17th May 2010, 23:36   #19
BHPian

i20 Gear-shift / Clutch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
...i20 failed to impress.

Gear shift was pretty bad, Clutch had a fairly long play. The person suggested that I push the clutch all the way down. The gearshift quality in comparison to i10 was glaring.

My question, is this an exception rather than the rule?.. Has others experienced the same?.. Can i20 owners please comment.
I've been driving my i20 Asta Petrol for the last 3.5 months and I too have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
even i felt that the gears were not smooth during the test drive of i20 crdi. particularly the first gear wont engage easily. also i found that the clutch had to be pressed a long way down..
The gear shift is not smooth and usually its the 1st & 2nd gear which have this issue and they too will smoothen out if I try it second or third time (as if gears have moved to proper position for smooth shift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
Was it the gear shift or the clutch release that you had an issue with... It maybe something to do with the clutch play. If you are not used to a long clutch play in a car you may feel the shift to be a little rough... especially if you are already throttling the accelerator while the clutch is not fully engaged.
Note that I experience this when the clutch is fully pressed. And this is observed, at times even when the vehicle is idle & I showed this to the service centre guy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvj1976 View Post
I own a i20 CRDi and the gearbox is pretty smooth. There is a little hesitation when slotting from 1st to 2nd. But everything else is silky smooth. Since my car has only seen 1 servicing so far, I am hoping that will also improve after the 2nd servicing.

The clutch does have a long play and that is something you need to get used to. But it is a matter of driving it for a few days and then you don't even notice it.
During my 1st service in Mar first week, I mentioned this at the service centre. At the end of the service, I was told the clutch plate was not proper & that they have fixed it.

This did improve the feel but it was back to square-1 within 2 weeks. So I went to the service centre in Apr first week again and asked them to look into it (apart from getting the Auto-Lock @ 40Km/h feature enabled) -- Once again I was told they have fixed the clutch plate and it was ok for couple of weeks only. I'm thinking whether its time for another service centre visit.

Another aspect I noticed: If the car has been idle for one day or more, the gear shift is very smooth when I drive after that before resurfacing again in few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

Quote:
some of the i10’s and i20’s came out with faulty gear boxes about a month ago and they were quietly recalled and the gear boxes changed to avoid Media Glare

- Source XYZ Hyundai, Bangalore spy
One of my friends advised this to me last week! is it true?
I hope & prey this is not true -- I really like almost everything else about i20 and don't want this to be true.

To other i20 Owners & Team-BHP Experts:
  1. What could be the possible cause?
  2. Is it really with the clutch plate or could it be a problem with gears? How could it be checked & fixed?
  3. I'm also worried what impact it'll have on the long run.. What is your recommendation?
- ShanG
------------------------------
1991 Geo Metro (Sold)
2009 Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 11th June 2010, 07:45   #20
BHPian

i20 Gear-shift / Clutch issue (update)

This is further to my earlier post...

I was out-of-town for around 10 days and came back this Monday -- after this 10-day rest, when I took out my i20 the gear-shift & clutch were smooth as it was when I took delivery.

But the gear-shift issue for 1st & 2nd gear reappeared from the 3rd day.

Thinking of visiting my service guy, if possible this week -- any suggestions on how I should have this issue addressed?

Still looking for responses from other i20 Owners / T-BHP Experts on the below:
  2. Is it really with the clutch plate or could it be a problem with gears? How could it be checked & fixed?
  3. I'm also worried what impact it'll have on the long run.. What is your recommendation?
- ShanG
1991 Geo Metro (Sold)
2009 Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 25th June 2010, 18:02   #21
BHPian

My i20 is now more than a year old, and yes changing gears is problematic when you dont press the clutch completely. Also, when putting into reverse I have to completely press the clutch or else it wont go in one shot. But all in all, frankly ive got used to it and accepted it, for it is otherwise an excellent city car with a couple of luxuries thrown in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanG View Post
This is further to my earlier post...

I was out-of-town for around 10 days and came back this Monday -- after this 10-day rest, when I took out my i20 the gear-shift & clutch were smooth as it was when I took delivery.

But the gear-shift issue for 1st & 2nd gear reappeared from the 3rd day.

Thinking of visiting my service guy, if possible this week -- any suggestions on how I should have this issue addressed?

Still looking for responses from other i20 Owners / T-BHP Experts on the below:
- ShanG
1991 Geo Metro (Sold)
2009 Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 25th June 2010, 18:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

I never had any issue with gears not engaging(except the reverse gear! that too rarely)

In my case I've never had to press the clutch fully and the gear engages fairly smoothly!
Old 25th June 2010, 21:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

My colleagues i10's clutch plates and related parts were changed at 20k due to wear and tear. The second change happened today, 8k kms after the last change!

He has shot a mailer to Hyundai. Lets see what the famed Hyundai CS handles this.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:51   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
My i20 is now more than a year old, and yes changing gears is problematic when you dont press the clutch completely. Also, when putting into reverse I have to completely press the clutch or else it wont go in one shot. But all in all, frankly ive got used to it and accepted it, for it is otherwise an excellent city car with a couple of luxuries thrown in!
You must press the clutch fully always.Don't blame the car for your follies !
Old 26th August 2013, 12:07   #25
BHPian

Gearshift Issues with my I20 Crdi

Hello All,

I could not find a thread on this, hence starting a new one.

Background, i own a i20 Crdi 2011 which has done 48,750 KM's approx. Driven solely by me and my wife. Currently located at Bangalore.

I have two peculiar issues that have cropped up off late.

1. Issue 1 - Two parts to this story

a)The i20 gearshift is known to be butter smooth, off late slotting the car into 1st and 2nd gear(some times even 3rd refuses to engage) takes some effort, especially from a standstill in traffic.

b)Every time i engage 1st/2nd/Reverse, basically when i move the gear stick towards the left it makes a mild noise which can be heard only in parking lot silence. Dont know how to describe this sound but it feels like some part has lost lubrication.

Guess what both the above issues started after the 30,000 KM's servicing done at Garve Hyundai, Pune. Before that i never had any such problems. For the gear slotting thing, i felt the difference immediately(but intermittently). Reported back to Garve, they sent a test person and service guy for a test run, but their test person never agreed that its a problem.

Discussion with the test guy while test drive (in Hindi, followed by English translation in brackets)

Me - Yaar, i20 ka gearshift to bahut hi smooth hota hai, ishare se gear padte hai, mai ek ungli se gear dal leta tha (Dude, i20's gearshift is butter smooth, you can slot a gear with just a finger of yours, it requires only that much effort)

Test engineer - Thoda effort to lagta hai, abhi bhi dal raha hai gear (It requires some effort, i am still able to slot a gear)

Me - Dal to raha hi hai yaar, but mehnat lag rahi hai na bhai, pura clutch depress hai, fir bhi jor lagana pad raha hai (Obviously you can slot a gear, but the effort required is much more, the clutch pedal is completely depressed still so much effort is needed)

Test engineer - Kaha lag raha hai, aisa hi to hota hai, mujhe nahi lagta hai koi problem hai, kuch ho aage to aap wapas le aana (I dont feel so, its like that only, i dont think there is any issue with gearshift, you can come back again later if you still see this as an issue)

Me - Mere pas aur bhi kaam hai bhai yahi nahi hai(i give up) (Dude, i have other things to do, apart from this)

Meanwhile during this drive, test guy is abusing the vehicle, accelerating unnecessarily then slotting gears on a non existent road. I was like 'just get out of my car and leave it to me i'll figure out what needs to be done'. But i hold on to my emotions and hope that the problem resurfaces on this test drive. But it was not to be.

After this test drive i was wondering is there at all an issue with the gearshift or i am being overcautious. As it was not happening on a regular basis, but some times the gear would refuse to engage literally. Probably i got used to this new behaviour.

Later at 40,000 KM service i took it to Sanjay Hyundai, Pune they identified the noise as lubrication issues and fixed it. Did'nt raise the slotting issue as it was difficult to identify and demonstrate.

However the noise resurfaced after 5000 odd KM's.

2. Issue 2 - From a cold start when i slot the car into 1st gear (foot off the gas pedal) the rev counter misses a beat. The Rev counter
idle's at around 900 RPM but when i slot 1st gear it dips to 700 RPM and returns to 900 RPM mark upon completion of gear shift.

Same thing has started happening when we slot the car into 1st/2nd gear or release the clutch from standstill in traffic, leading to the car stalling.
Earlier it used to be only at cold starts, looks like the issue is getting worse and needs attention.

My 50,000 KM's service would be due soon, so was planning to tackle these issues there only with the Authorised ASS guys.

Need advise on what can be the possible issues here.

Last edited by somitra1981 : 26th August 2013 at 13:33. Reason: English translation for the Hindi portion, as requested by the moderator
Old 26th August 2013, 15:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gearshift Issues with my I20 Crdi

Looks like a clutch problem to me.

Have you noticed the pedal becoming hard, or a drop in the FE ?
Old 26th August 2013, 16:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
2. Issue 2 - From a cold start when i slot the car into 1st gear (foot off the gas pedal) the rev counter misses a beat. The Rev counter
idle's at around 900 RPM but when i slot 1st gear it dips to 700 RPM and returns to 900 RPM mark upon completion of gear shift.

Same thing has started happening when we slot the car into 1st/2nd gear or release the clutch from standstill in traffic, leading to the car stalling.
Earlier it used to be only at cold starts, looks like the issue is getting worse and needs attention.

My 50,000 KM's service would be due soon, so was planning to tackle these issues there only with the Authorised ASS guys.

Need advise on what can be the possible issues here.

This is because of a sensor on the clutch pedal! I had the exact same problem.Also, car used to get switched off when shifting down when approachin a speed bump. And it got solved after changing some sensor on the clutch pedal. Dont know the exact name. Can check and revert back. But you can ask the HASS to look into this direction.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 16:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried bleeding the clutch ?

If Yes,

The next step, this looks like a clutch issue to be specific to me, where in its not disengaging entirely when you are changing the gears.
Old 26th August 2013, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Looks like a clutch problem to me.

Have you noticed the pedal becoming hard, or a drop in the FE ?
I have not noticed a change in the clutch pedal behaviour so far. About drop in FE, there has been a fall but i think that's due to the Bangalore traffic conditions. I moved from Pune only in Mid June, but since the last 2 odd months FE has been more or less the same in Bangalore(on the lower side as compared to Pune).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This is because of a sensor on the clutch pedal! I had the exact same problem.Also, car used to get switched off when shifting down when approachin a speed bump. And it got solved after changing some sensor on the clutch pedal. Dont know the exact name. Can check and revert back. But you can ask the HASS to look into this direction.
Yeah, thats the kind of problem, we've been facing as well. I'll check with the HASS guys some time next month when my servicing becomes due. Any idea if this can become worse and lead to some other problems as well, if solution is delayed by a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Have you tried bleeding the clutch ?

If Yes,

The next step, this looks like a clutch issue to be specific to me, where in its not disengaging entirely when you are changing the gears.
Nope, i have not tried clutch bleeding. For the clutch bleeding part i should visit a HASS or a local mechanic? As from my limited understanding of clutch bleeding it's not a straightforward affair to be handled by a novice like me.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:18   #30
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Gearshift Issues?

i experienced similar problems on my swift

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks