Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 17:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
i experienced similar problems on my swift
Oh ok, did you manage to find the root cause of the problem and fix the same.
Old 28th August 2013, 23:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest get it attended asap . Because if the sensor goes completely bad then you may not be able to drive also!!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 22:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gearshift Issues with my I20 Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Nope, i have not tried clutch bleeding. For the clutch bleeding part i should visit a HASS or a local mechanic? As from my limited understanding of clutch bleeding it's not a straightforward affair to be handled by a novice like me.
Go to the HASS. They ll do a a good job. Report back on the result after bleeding. If the system had air and indeed that was the problem, with the bleeding, your gearshifting should become smooth.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 08:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

This is because of a sensor on the clutch pedal! I had the exact same problem.Also, car used to get switched off when shifting down when approachin a speed bump. And it got solved after changing some sensor on the clutch pedal. Dont know the exact name. Can check and revert back. But you can ask the HASS to look into this direction.
I am at HASS at the moment and these guys tell me that it has got nothing to do with sensor, initially they even refused to accept that there is any such sensor. Upon pushing they accepted that yeah we can have a look at the RPM sensor. SA who test drove didnt accept that there is any issue with the RPM fluctuations. He said that if I use half clutch then I may encounter this fluctuation issue due to flywheel movement. Assuming I use half clutch, still I got this problem only 15 days back not once before that. So they will check the sensor for my satisfaction.
Old 31st August 2013, 08:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Go to the HASS. They ll do a a good job. Report back on the result after bleeding. If the system had air and indeed that was the problem, with the bleeding, your gearshifting should become smooth.
After test drive SA is telling me that gearshift is fine. I also accept that 9/10 times it works fine. But that 1 time the gear just refuses to engage especially 2nd and 3rd.

I have still asked the guys to go ahead with clutch bleeding. They warned me though that gear shift may become harder if we do this as in their opinion its not needed as gearshift looks ok.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Gearshift Issues?

Quote:
After test drive SA is telling me that gearshift is fine. I also accept that 9/10 times it works fine. But that 1 time the gear just refuses to engage especially 2nd and 3rd.

I have still asked the guys to go ahead with clutch bleeding. They warned me though that gear shift may become harder if we do this as in their opinion its not needed as gearshift looks ok.

Scare tactics, don't worry. No gear shift has ever become hard because of clutch bleeding. On the contrary, you will observe that your clutch pedal has become a bit lighter after the bleed. If your problem is indeed with air in the clutch lines, then I ll be sorted after the bleed.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am at HASS at the moment and these guys tell me that it has got nothing to do with sensor, initially they even refused to accept that there is any such sensor. Upon pushing they accepted that yeah we can have a look at the RPM sensor. SA who test drove didnt accept that there is any issue with the RPM fluctuations. He said that if I use half clutch then I may encounter this fluctuation issue due to flywheel movement. Assuming I use half clutch, still I got this problem only 15 days back not once before that. So they will check the sensor for my satisfaction.

See the problem of RPM fluctuating when you shift to first gear from neutral can be seen only during cold start . the engine must be totally cold. Once its warmer you can't get this problem

This is the part number and the name of the culprit sensor. Costs around 500 bucks.

938400B000 switch assy ign lock

Hope this info will help you
Old 31st August 2013, 11:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Scare tactics, don't worry. No gear shift has ever become hard because of clutch bleeding. On the contrary, you will observe that your clutch pedal has become a bit lighter after the bleed. If your problem is indeed with air in the clutch lines, then I ll be sorted after the bleed.
Well i got the bleeding done from Advaith HASS guys at BG road, will get back with the observations as i spend some time driving. Thanks for your prompt response.

Quote:
See the problem of RPM fluctuating when you shift to first gear from neutral can be seen only during cold start . the engine must be totally cold. Once its warmer you can't get this problem

This is the part number and the name of the culprit sensor. Costs around 500 bucks.

938400B000 switch assy ign lock

Hope this info will help you
Great thanks for the info. The HASS guy found the RPM sensor to be good (by any chance do you think that the RPM sensor and the switch assy ign lock are the same, doesnt look like to me). They could not find any thing else which was wrong. Though he told me that they have reset the sensor, dont know what that is supposed to mean. Lets see, i'll spend some time driving then only would be able to comment further. Any ways i have the part details handy, so if i see the problem again i'll just tell them to check this particular part.
Old 31st August 2013, 11:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well i got the bleeding done from Advaith HASS guys at BG road, will get back with the observations as i spend some time driving. Thanks for your prompt response.

Great thanks for the info. The HASS guy found the RPM sensor to be good (by any chance do you think that the RPM sensor and the switch assy ign lock are the same, doesnt look like to me). They could not find any thing else which was wrong. Though he told me that they have reset the sensor, dont know what that is supposed to mean. Lets see, i'll spend some time driving then only would be able to comment further. Any ways i have the part details handy, so if i see the problem again i'll just tell them to check this particular part.
Regarding hard gear shift , have you tried getting the transmission oil replaced? Because the manual states transmission oil change at 30k kms

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 31st August 2013 at 12:09.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding hard gear shift , have you tried getting the transmission oil replaced? Because the manual states transmission oil change at 30k kms
Well i've done close to 50,000 kms so i assume that the Pune HASS guys would have changed the transmission oil. I faintly remember that i saw that on the job card / bill of the 30,000 km servicing. Would check back again.
Old 5th September 2013, 13:19   #41
BHPian

Ok guys, so i have completed close to 6 days (and 300+ kms) after visiting Advaith HASS located at BG Road.

The observations are not positive.

1. The subtle screeching noise while engaging 1st, 2nd & reverse gear is still present.
Interesting part here is that i had reported the same issue to Sanjay HASS (Pune) at
40,000 km; they identified it as lubrication issue and fixed the same. However Advaith
HASS was unable to fix the same. Advaith SA was of the opinion that it’s a non issue
and i don’t need to worry; some times such noise may be noticed.

2. RPM fluctuation at cold start and in bumper to bumper traffic is there as well. Some
more observations after discussion with the SA and on the forum, the problem is
noticeable when i am slowing down and using half clutch, SA was able to identify the
same as well and pointed towards half clutch as the reason. But then why did it not
happen in last 2 years was my response. Also after using half clutch even when i
depress the clutch completely with foot off the gas pedal, the problem resurfaces with
the engine about to stall(tried replicating the issue numerous times in last 5 days but
this issue does not happen every time). Ideally even the engine should not stall as a
minimal RPM is being maintained by default. And if a default RPM is being maintained
why is the RPM fluctuating all on its own ?

3. Post the clutch bleeding, i have not faced the gear slotting issue, but then this issue
appears once in a while so will have to observe further.

Not sure what to do now, my 50,000 KM service is almost due, so i can again ask the HASS guys to look at it in detail. But going by my experience so far i am not sure if they have the expertise to handle such things.

Positive part of this entire check up was that HASS did not charge me any thing. But then their lack of expertise is not acceptable. The attitude of the SA was like "don't worry about this minor issue, come back if it becomes a noticeable problem"
Old 28th October 2013, 13:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:

This is because of a sensor on the clutch pedal! I had the exact same problem.Also, car used to get switched off when shifting down when approachin a speed bump. And it got solved after changing some sensor on the clutch pedal. Dont know the exact name. Can check and revert back. But you can ask the HASS to look into this direction.
Hey sagarpadaki, can you give me the exact name of the part and the part number as well, if possible, thanks.
Old 4th March 2014, 23:24   #43
BANNED

Hi All,

We found a peculiar problem with my car , the car was switching off when ever i slow down ,like say stooping for a speed breaker and changing from 4th to 2nd gear ect .

i though it was due to hard clutch ,after test drive we found that it happens only when AC is on and only if any gear is engaged with clutch pressed (not in contact with engine).

i really could not figure out what is wrong , if the car was in neutral and clutch is pressed when car is doing 60 or 20 or 100km/hr it does not switch off even till the car comes to stand still. but if any gear is on and i press the clutch then it switches off.

in my view it should be a sensor problem related to AC but when scanned there was no problem.

Can someone give me any suggestion? i dont want to go for HASS is there any good service station in chennai? Multibrand ect
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:20   #44
BHPian

Folks, need some guidance on a particular issue that I've been facing of late. I have a April 2014 i20(1.2 P) Asta. Recently I've noticed that some times at low speeds the gear shifter gets stuck -
- 1st to 2nd gear --> happens some times & I thought I need to improve my driving habits (Yes I'm pretty much a newbie driver), now I do not rush into gear changes, shift gears gently & I think it's helped.
- 2nd to 3rd gear --> of late while up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd I often experience a violent jerk (as f the car is being thrown forward), I try to up-shift only 1500+RPM in 2nd gear or as suggest by the gear shift indicator, but even then I've experienced this.
I'm trying to avid this by up-shifting to 3rd gear only when the speed is around 31 - 32 km/hr

Just wanted some advice on whether it's on account of my driving style (up-shifting at too low a speed) or should I also pay a visit to the A.S.S to have the car checked out.
Also, is it possible that I may've damaged the car (clutch) on account of accidentally up-shifting at a low speed ?

Also, sometimes while engaging Reverse gear while parking (say on a slope or even on a road with a very gentle slope towards the footpath) the car just keeps moving forward & does not go into reverse. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my clutch control, should I get the car checked at H.A.S.S ?
Old 28th March 2022, 18:54   #45
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2019 Elite I20 Asta (O) 1.4 CRDI and it has run around 39k kilometers till date. Recently, during a regular city drive, all of a sudden I saw some hesitancy in the gearbox while shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I went to the showroom to check this issue and they concluded that there is a problem with the synchronizer in between 3rd and 4th gear, even without opening the gearbox.

The service advisor mentioned he spoke to Hyundai R&D guys and they confirmed it. No idea how they confirmed it without even driving the vehicle or opening the gearbox.

Luckily, my warranty expired on March 1st 2022 and I took an additional 2-year warranty till 100000 kilometers a few days back in Feb 2022 and the labor cost and parts replaced will be covered in warranty.

I have asked them to replace the entire gearbox for which they denied, saying that manual gearboxes are never entirely replaced but only repaired, whereas an automatic gearbox will always be replaced without attempting a repair.

Now, what checks do I need to do to ensure that the work is carried out perfectly? I am scared because it is a major job.

It's been driven only by me for the entire 39k kilometers and I am not a newbie driver and I don't ride my clutch nor drive harshly. They are just blaming premature part failure and not able to tell me what caused this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks