Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Water found with Diesel in my Getz CRDi - Fuel Tank

Well, I have posted my Getz CRDi issues a while ago, i.e. Turbo loss, Stalling time and again, etc. etc., though nothing major but definitely put me in a spot of bother each time every time.

Well I had this stalling problem well 3 months ago, which used to happen once in a week of sorts, this clubbed with the Turbo loss, led to a premature servicing of my car with fuel filter, & the injectors cleaned and with the turbo indepth check. All izzz Well for a month or so and then I am in Tirupati, an early morning drive to have breakfast, the car stalls again and I struggle to start it . Now that's crazy and I am at loss now do not know what I am supposed to do. Well, I try to crank the car a few more times with the same result. I remove the keys from the ignition get out of the car, lock and open it and get back to start the car a la MS Windows and guess what the car starts, yipppeeee. Now I have to drive from Tirupati to Chennai to visit the US consulate for my stamping. Hmm the car stalls few more times till I reach Chennai and the same issue continues for all the 3 days I am in Chennai.

I drive back to Bengaluru and car stalls amidst traffic in Chennai just once and with people honking like mad, I am unable to start the car, and here is what I do.. I put the car of first, and with the clutch depressed fully, crank the engine while slowly releasing the clutch, the car fails to start but starts moving with each crank. I continue doing this till I move to the left most side of the road, whew now that ensures I dont have people behind me honking like mad and that too a KA registered vehicle in peak Chennai Traffic, imagine my plight whew. I do the same thing I did i.e. what Bill bro recommends shutdown and restart and voila the car putters to a start, I slowly cruise out of the city taking care not to be in the middle of the road and ensuring I do not depress the clutch without the RPM needle hovering below 1500 RPM I manage to get out of the city.

No issues at all on the highway cruise even at the Toll gates where I had to stop and also to catch up on Lunch at Ambur (famous STAR Biryani - Yummy) now this biryani makes me forget the hassles I had to go through enroute. I reach good ol'd Bengaluru and halt at Bull Temple as my wife and her niece want to visit this temple. I dare not switch off the car and I waited for a good long 10 minutes afraid the car will stall and it happens just when the clouds opened up and what I saw the heaviest rains in BLR for quite sometime now (I've been living in Bangalore all of 30 years out of the 37 years). I manage to start the car and am worried about the traffic in this heavy rains till I get back home to Rajajinagar. Man the car stalls twice again and I use the same technique first gear release the clutch and the car moves to the side of the road near Sirsi circle and guess what I manage to get my left front tyres in a deep sink hole which was hidden by the puddble of water.

The car stalled and no way its starting and the left side of my baby is in this hell hole, I have this good Samaritan Army chap who comes out of nowhere and helps get the car back on road even when he was getting soaked in the heavy rains and his hands dirty from the muck on the road, he manages to give me a lever just behind my left front tyre and I manage to crank start the car and with pedal to metal I get the car to jerk forward with a couple a wheel spins, I thank the army chap who in fact was piss drunk and he denies my continuous request to give him a drop someplace and even when I offered money. He just walked away, I am sure he was god sent whew, reach home and rest for the day getting nightmares thinking of the eventful day I had with my rocket hatch.

next day head out to Advaith SS on Outer Ring road on the way to work drop the car and am told they need to keep the car for two days if not three to assess what was the problem and repair it for good.

Next day I get a call from the SE, he says he was shocked to see water with the diesel in the tank. the reason given was... this does happen once in a while and this was the second case they had recently the previous was a Verna CRDi filled up Diesel at Shell (imagine that) and found the tank half full of water and the rest of it was sticky fuel. he also told me that shell pump offered to pay for the damage and get the car repaired. Well in my case, they drained the tank found 15 litres of the sticky fuel mixed with water with no Diesel pungent smell emanating from it too. Everything starting from the tank to the injectors are cleaned and the car today is back to normal. My 500 KM drive to and fro Mysore and near by places was fault free and the car moving like a dream and the best mileage I got in the last 1.5 years of ownership, i.e. 16 KMPL.

The SE says this is very rare case and the explanation given was the fuel station have to check for Density every hour before dispensing diesel which they rarely do and when the mositure in the tank comes along with the tank and condenses to water once it reaches the tank this happens. There is no way to prevent this and one has to pray that this doesnt happen.

I have never heard of such a thing ever not even in this forum. I am flabbergasted beyond any damn thing hearing this. Want to hear from all sticky fuel car owners if they have experienced similar situations.

Whew now enough of this long long sob story of my horrid experience in the pocket rocket. Your feedback suggestions welcome shoot away!!!!.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am curious why the warning light did not turn up - there a fuel filter warning that is supposed to come on if water is detected, right?

And dude, you were in Chennai - could have PM'ed / given me a ring before you came, could have met even otherwise, and could have been of help with the whole stalling episode!
Old 27th April 2010, 13:26   #3
BHPian

I asked the same question on the warning light with the SE, he said the water sensor will not return any info and make the warning light blink, he said this is available in Sonata and Elantra and not in the Getz nor Verna. I am sorry dude I was busy with the visa stamping and with the car in the shape that it was I did not move out of my Bro's place for anything else. Next time I am in Chennai will give you a buzz.. Until then..
Old 27th April 2010, 14:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I am curious why the warning light did not turn up - there a fuel filter warning that is supposed to come on if water is detected, right?
ph03n!x, the indicator in the instrument cluster indicates if there is water in the sedimentation unit. The Vista manual says so. Not very sure if it can sense water in the fuel.

Can others shed more light on this topic?
Old 27th April 2010, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I asked the same question on the warning light with the SE, he said the water sensor will not return any info and make the warning light blink, he said this is available in Sonata and Elantra and not in the Getz nor Verna.
That's funny, coz this is what the manual says:
Water found with Diesel in my Getz CRDi - Fuel Tank-getz.jpg

So either Hyundai is bluffing in its manual, or the SE needs to find a better job - one where he is in the know

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS-II View Post
ph03n!x, the indicator in the instrument cluster indicates if there is water in the sedimentation unit. The Vista manual says so. Not very sure if it can sense water in the fuel.

Can others shed more light on this topic?
Yup, it means the same (sedimentation unit = fuel filter). And if water has reached the engine, it has to pass the fuel filter, right?!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th April 2010 at 14:49.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:46   #6
BANNED

The water/slush in the diesel maybe due to the fact that recently from April all pumps/bunks had to empty their storage tanks and fill the new BS-IV fuel.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:46   #7
BHPian

This warning light is indeed present in Verna CRDi, and with Getz CRDisharing the same mechanicals, I guess it should have it too.

I have seen it glow once during my trip. Got the tank cleaned.

Now the water sensor has conked off, which initiates the warning light sometimes on its own limiting the revs to 3000rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
I asked the same question on the warning light with the SE, he said the water sensor will not return any info and make the warning light blink, he said this is available in Sonata and Elantra and not in the Getz nor Verna.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Now the water sensor has conked off, which initiates the warning light sometimes on its own limiting the revs to 3000rpm.
This is exactly my concern for @anarchist - sensor conking off (and SE not knowing how to diagnose a conked off sensor ).

How did you find out that it is indeed a conked off sensor that is limiting your revs? And the warning light is indeed false, there is no water in the fuel?

I had the car shudder a lot during idle when I stopped for a break while doing the Banglore -> Chennai. The warning light flickered for a few seconds and went off. Never saw the light come on, nor felt the shudder henceforth. Had filled in a 24 hour BP in Marthahalli as well as in Shell Binaganahalli during that visit. Though I have no unusual symptoms, I am worried what if my sensor too has conked off!
Old 27th April 2010, 14:59   #9
BANNED

Diesel and water being miscible, water in the fuel is quite common. This is why the majority of heavy duty vehicles have elaborate separators/filters.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
How did you find out that it is indeed a conked off sensor that is limiting your revs? And the warning light is indeed false, there is no water in the fuel?

The warning light flickered for a few seconds and went off. Never saw the light come on, nor felt the shudder henceforth. Had filled in a 24 hour BP in Marthahalli as well as in Shell Binaganahalli during that visit. Though I have no unusual symptoms, I am worried what if my sensor too has conked off!
The entire fuel system was flushed with the old fuel discarded and fresh Diesel put in. That rules out the presence of water in the tank/fuel lines.

Now, the warning light glows intermittently on its own at no fixed intervals. Note that ECU goes into the limp mode(limiting the revs to 3000K) only when the warning light is glowing. Things get normal as soon as the light goes off.

As per a detailed discussion with my SA at HMP, this water sensor issue is too common in Hyundai diesels and there's no permanent fix for it. IIRC, hellstar too had some trouble with the water sensor and eventually got it replaced.

Regarding your particular case, I suggest you get your fuel filter thoroughly cleaned once at the AS*. Ask them to delete the error code. Drive for a few days and pray that damn thing never glows again.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Diesel and water being miscible, water in the fuel is quite common. This is why the majority of heavy duty vehicles have elaborate separators/filters.
Well this is what I heard from the SE too, he also gave him one more of his kick a$$ funda's i.e. the water sensor might have failed due to the large amount of water found in my fuel tank. D'uh, don't Hyundai test these sensor's to the fullest extent???.

sgiitk: I persume you have heard about this problem before.. do let us know if there is a solution to eliminate this from recurring again, well as you can see the pains one has to go through if one happens to get into a situation like mine.??
Old 30th July 2010, 21:03   #12

well the fuel filter light in my verna diesel doesnt glow at ignition..as per the manual it should glow at ignition and then go out after some secs..it has never remained on though once the car has started..does it mean that the water sensor has conked off? should i get it checked?
Old 30th July 2010, 23:10   #13
BANNED

@anarchist: There is very little you can do. As I mentioned heavy machinery often has filters to remove the water. I guess you have to just grin and bear it unless you want to tamper with the fuel filtration system!
Old 30th July 2010, 23:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This something new I am hearing. How can oil and water mix? Are we talking of emulsion of Oil and water or mixing like salt and water?
Old 30th July 2010, 23:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwiz View Post
well the fuel filter light in my verna diesel doesnt glow at ignition..as per the manual it should glow at ignition and then go out after some secs..it has never remained on though once the car has started..does it mean that the water sensor has conked off? should i get it checked?
If it NEVER comes on at all when you turn on the key (not crank), then you have a problem. If it comes on and goes off before you start the car, then its fine.

It may be a loose connection, because if the sensor is faulty, the light should still come on - just that it WONT come one when there is water in the filter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks