Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 11:49   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
calling all fiat gurus here when i ask does anyone have any idea of the stock cam profile. i remember the picture put up by MoralFibre in one post about 0 degree overlap and the stuff but that does not have the profiles.
I should have it at home. Will try to post pics today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The first point that has got to be made clear is that if you use a different cam the exhaust has to be calculated correctly. Manifolds from the likes of Supersprint, CSC, Ansa or anyone else producing performance exhaust aren't suitable anymore.
Are stock exhaust manifolds available off the shelf? The Fiat engines that were sold in India are 1580 cc and 1596 cc. The 1580 had a stock 4x2x1 manifold while the 1596 has a 4x1 manifold. I always feel that doing away with the cat con on this engine would help since it is directly bolted on to the exhaust manifold and causes a lot of restriction.

Quote:
The ports on the 1.6 are pretty poor. The 1.6 will most likely not have multi angle valve cuts, which benefit the power greatly. Compression ratio can be raised to about 12:1 before the fuel creates problems. Being a 2008 I assume that a klnock sensor is attached to the engine (Don't know as we haven't got the Palio over here).
Won't 12:1 compression ratio call for higher octane fuel? I think we just get 91 RON here and 97 RON is available scarcely. There is a knock sensor on the Palio sold here.

Quote:
With induction and re-map we get from the equivalent engine spec in the Fait Stilo between 120 and 125bhp. Adding a fast road cam and headwork done anyting from 140 to 160bhp can be achieved.
You've gotten me all interested. Details please.

Quote:
The maximum that can be extracted from the engine is about 240bhp normally aspirated.
WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Coming to the topic, I know of one palio in Chennai which received Piper cams (Remember its got two cams). The engine had a lumpy idle which they corrected using the diagnostics. And "its wheel spinning into the 3rd."
Nitrous, you could post some details on this car in this thread itself.

Quote:
My advise is to start with induction.
If you pm or mail me some shots from under the bonnet I can show you how to make a proper induction kit (we haven't got the Palio over here) or it might be that the Stilo 1.6 induction fits.
CPH, is the long intake pipe between the air filter on the throttle body combined with a long U bend a restriction in delivering power? Alongwith the stupid cat con on the exhaust manifold, I feel this could also help in getting more out of the car.

Quote:
BTW you dcon't need to worry about reliability. The 1.6 is bullet proof.
I only worry about good workmanship. Especially for the head since most porting jobs here are carried out without a proper flow bench apparatus. Don't really blame the tuners for it since the cost of having one isn't justified.

Just wanted to link a previous informative thread on Palio modifications to this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pics-here.html
Old 6th May 2010, 13:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

The following thread may be of some use: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...scanner-3.html

@ MF - even the mechanics at FIAT Authorized Service Center didn't want to mess with the 1.6. anyways...

waiting for updates.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ MF - even the mechanics at FIAT Authorized Service Center didn't want to mess with the 1.6. anyways...

waiting for updates.
Actually i got a lot of information from the FIAT mechs themselves, namely Sameer who was the works manager at BU Bhandari earlier. unfortunately, he also has moved on to the Skoda workshop so dont have much interaction with him now.

Sorry, but talking about the ECU scanner thread, the guys at BU Bhandari have always ben forthcoming in terms of the scanner and aso lettingus take alook at what its monitoring and checking and stuff like that. i think its just about how helpful or dedicated the workshop you get to is towards the FIAT cars. these guys actually moved their Indica service bays out to a different location so they could accomodate more FIAT cars. that says something. man.. i'm ranting again so i gotta stop.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:23   #34
BHPian

Hey, this is a very interesting thread. I am going to keep close watch here. My Petra 1.6 is just great to drive and the only thing I have felt is that it could do with some more low end torque.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:09   #35
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I should have it at home. Will try to post pics today evening.

Are stock exhaust manifolds available off the shelf? The Fiat engines that were sold in India are 1580 cc and 1596 cc. The 1580 had a stock 4x2x1 manifold while the 1596 has a 4x1 manifold. I always feel that doing away with the cat con on this engine would help since it is directly bolted on to the exhaust manifold and causes a lot of restriction.

Won't 12:1 compression ratio call for higher octane fuel? I think we just get 91 RON here and 97 RON is available scarcely. There is a knock sensor on the Palio sold here.

You've gotten me all interested. Details please.

CPH, is the long intake pipe between the air filter on the throttle body combined with a long U bend a restriction in delivering power? Alongwith the stupid cat con on the exhaust manifold, I feel this could also help in getting more out of the car.

I only worry about good workmanship. Especially for the head since most porting jobs here are carried out without a proper flow bench apparatus. Don't really blame the tuners for it since the cost of having one isn't justified.

Just wanted to link a previous informative thread on Palio modifications to this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pics-here.html
No one offers exhaust manifolds any longer for the 1.6 engine. But this is not the end of the road and can bearranged.

Removing the cat is possibly, but I would go for a sports cat for different reasons.

12:1 compression would be an issue with 91 RON.

The long intake pipe was designed to pick up torque, but the whole intake system is losing it because of the convulation, the airbox and the intake mouth and throat before the air box.

Flow benches aren't cheap.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:48   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No one offers exhaust manifolds any longer for the 1.6 engine. But this is not the end of the road and can bearranged.

Removing the cat is possibly, but I would go for a sports cat for different reasons.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/652141-post202.html

What do you think about the headers of the 1580 cc engine v/s the 1596 cc engine?
Old 12th May 2010, 12:24   #37
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/652141-post202.html

What do you think about the headers of the 1580 cc engine v/s the 1596 cc engine?
The 1580cc exhaust manifold is by far not the best you can do, but it is a million miles better than the 1596 with this stupid contraption called catalytic converter.

On some other engines we gained about 5% peak power by replacing the exhaust manifold by an earlier version of the same engine with the cat under the car.
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks