Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 10:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Keys by mahindra are like,as if they were making them to be sold as toys by a roadside balloon seller

Quality seems to have gone down.
two days ago i had gone to check out Bolero VLX and Pathetic would be a small word for its key,my 10 year old Bolero's key and ignition switch feel better.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thats right GTO.

We need not follow up with individual parts maker for our issues. In this case, I guess the key might be the culprit! sometimes, we also tend to pull the keys out at an odd angle and if the key is defective can break off!(like in old Bajaj Chetaks!!)
Old 5th May 2010, 11:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When I buy a Mahindra, am I paying singularly to the Mahindra dealer (and thus to Mahindra) or each vendor individually? It is the brand that is responsible for the quality of parts that are fitted onto its vehicles...no manufacturer can simply wash its hands off and blame the vendor. Today, a marque like Toyota hardly manufactures any of its vehicle components itself. Yet, Toyota remains SINGULARLY responsible to its customers, for the quality of those parts, and how they work in sync with each other.

If Mahindra indeed has a problem with its vendors, its probably best to change them and find high quality suppliers instead.
GTO i agree with you that it is the manufacturer who is singularly responsible for the quality of the final product. Here, the intention was not to blame the vendor. Remember the overheating problems with Nokias BL-5C series of batteries, who manufactured them?-Matsushita from Japan. Although Nokia accepted the overheating problem, finally who replaced the 46 million batteries- Matsushita.
Nokia announces Product Advisory for BL-5C Battery manufactured by Matsushita - TechShout
Nokia Offers Free BL-5C Battery Replacement for Overheating

Why didn't Nokia find these quality defects before it reached its customers? simply because the supplier nowadays are "self certified" this means they declare the products offered by them are complying to all the prescribed parameters. Now regarding the key part, i hope it will be replaced by the dealer under warranty. The part once replaced under warranty is jointly examined by the OEM with the supplier. Now how far these investigation succeed is a point of concern. I hope you understand.

Spike

P.S. This is my unbiased opinion, what do you say?
Old 5th May 2010, 12:11   #19
BHPian

The key was finally changed yesterday. The dealer sent someone home with the new key where the column was fitted and the vehicle had to be driven back to change the remaining locks.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:29   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why didn't Nokia find these quality defects before it reached its customers? simply because the supplier nowadays are "self certified" this means they declare the products offered by them are complying to all the prescribed parameters.
Not that I know anything about the mobile phone industry, and we shouldn't go off-topic, but probably there's something wrong with the prescribed parameters then? How else can one explain the poor unreliability of one brand, and the supreme reliability of another? Making cars is no longer rocket science. It's the SUM of those vendor parts that make the WHOLE car...the car that your customer is paying you a hefty price for. That price includes the effort that goes into choosing the right vendors & ensuring the right quality. No ones doing community service to us by selling us cars. If any of those parts fail, then your product has failed to meet the customer's expectations.

I reiterate that, I as a customer, am paying the manufacturer / assembler. Its not my business to worry about who the vendors are. I have faith in the brand, like the car and make the downpayment. If the car falls apart, I could care less about the vendors. I WILL point a finger to the manufacturer, hold him fully responsible, never return as a customer and make sure to spread the word. Even the courts agree with me and hold the manufacturer singularly responsible. Who loses the most? The manufacturer first, then the vendor. I think its in the manufacturer's best interests to choose the right vendors, and ensure the right standards in part quality. Quality standards - in design, production, procurement, installation etc. - is what make or break a brand.

Most Viewed