Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:39   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Weird squealing/hissing noise from the back

Lately, I've been getting a weird squealing/hissing noise from the back side of the car while driving.
when i close all the glass and drive i can hear the sound clearly from the rear side.
Off throttle and on throttle, doesn't matter. Doesn't matter what gear, or what RPM. It seems to start making the noise randomly when accelerating it becomes more that too while in top gear and in high speed, when i take off from the accelerating pedal i can hear the noise loud and clear, untill it slows down, Here's the thing though, if I dab the brakes, I can change the pitch/tone of the noise, and if I press down hard on the brakes to the point where I feel the car start to slow down, the noise goes away, again starts when rising to more speed
So i thought it has to be the brakes, but why would it make the hissing noise when I'm NOT on the brakes at all? It seems to come and go, for no real reason, I'll be cruising down the highway in 5th, and it'll start hissing.
i thought wheel bearing, or some exhaust outlets...any idea?
I dab the brakes, and it'll go away, only to come back later. car has about 33k on it right now. mine in Indica Xeta 1.4 GLG

Regards
Srinath N
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:19   #2
BHPian

A Couple of potential candidates:
Rear Break Assembly (look for any visible marks, scratches, cracks on the pads)
Real Wheel Bearing (potential one)
Rear Wheel Axle (lastly)
Old 4th May 2010, 22:38   #3
BHPian

Try this little test drive. Make sure road is empty. Driving about 60km/hr slightly engage the hand brake (be sure not to jam the hand brake.)
If the sound reduces, then it has to be liners or wheel cylinders.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:00   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I got this checked from the concorde motors and they said rear RHS wheel bearing is gone and the LHS is in the initial stage... so replaced both rear wheel bearings and had the general check up. i have driven only 20 -30 KMS after that and i didnt hear the sound
the service advisor has asked me to check for 1 week and if again the noise comes to bring it to the service station..
i am hoping for the best and check next weekend ( as i use my car only during weekends)

total cost of wheel bearing and hub greasing was around 1900 + 300 service charge

regards
srinath N
Old 24th May 2010, 20:38   #5
BHPian

Hi, srinath,
I am glad your car problem is solved as of now, hope it stays that way.
Just for information, did you check the tyre button. If it had uneven were out then the work done on your car is correct. Did you check the old bearing. did it had any un wanted grove or damaged rollers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks