Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 09:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
After going through all the threads pointed by rutvij and + this one, I kissed my Indica DLS.
As an Alto owner I feel very happy about my car too! I empathize with Skoda owners but I am not "relieved" that I am not one of them. It is a moot point whether I would even have considered the Alto if I was a customer in the Skoda price range!

No offence intended, just wanted to put things in perspective. If you are a customer in the Skoda range, kindly excuse me!
Old 6th May 2010, 10:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have one doubt with respect to Skoda. The cars themselves are not very pricey. They are comparable with others in their class. In that case, why are the parts so expensive. Are they pricier compared to similar parts from other cars?

Also, Is it a way Skoda wants to make money after locking in a customer? The parts that fail are also not always cheap which points to some poor engineering. Would be interesting to see if the sum of money on all parts would exceed the actual cost of a new car.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:21   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaz View Post
A friend told me, “the meaning of word SKODA in Czechoslovakian means “BAD.” Now what more hints do you need?
I couldn't believe it, so i googled to find this:

škoda (n.): damage, detriment, harm, hurt, jammer, pity, shame
škoda (n.): damage

SKODA : translation of SKODA ( Czech - English )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
How many one of those "bad cars" will Skoda sell? Is there no end to it?

PS: Touch wood indra, and don't go shouting from the roof that your Skoda has been trouble free. Kisike buri nazar lag jayegi
It's like they're selling one of those "good cars" once in a while
Old 6th May 2010, 11:14   #34
BHPian

I really feel sorry for all skoda owners including me . After so many issues with so many cars their attitude simply doesn't seem to be changing !!! If we do take the issue legally it will take ages as someone pointed out earlier in the thread.

If you can produce only majority of bad cars I am amazed as to how skoda is still surviving in this country.

The skoda laura 1.8 TPI is arguably one of the best petrol cars in the country at its price but what is the use if the A.S.S is pathetic.

And you will be amazed as to how skoda's warranty procedure works !! The dealer has no authority to even change a clip on the car without the approval of a bunch of guys sitting in banglore !!! And they communicate through e-mails. The whole of the country's warranty issues are handled by these guys. Imagine the number of issues they have to look into in a day. Its immpossible to solve problems quickly.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:16   #35
BHPian

Okay I'm just curious, at the moment I'm pretty pi$$@d off at skoda because my uncles superb is having some major issues.

About your turbos blowing out, do you let the car idle for a minute after cranking? Do you also let it idle for a minute before you switch the car off? These are high boost turbos and as such, you need to make sure that oils is passing through the tubro before you start driving it, and the turbo has stopped spinning before you kill the oil supply.

Skoda knows that there is something wrong with their air-cons,
so they changed some compressor components to increase the ac reliabity. I'd try to tak to someone at skoda to see if they can replace the ac as part of a goodwill warranty. At the end of the day, it can't be denied that you have a very capable car, I'd try and get skoda to repair it out if goodwill, but then I'd take it to an aftermarket tech for maintenance work.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
I`m seriously considering the Superb and the Passat. Between the two...i might well have to go in for the Passat based purely on After sales issues. At least till now haven`t heard anything ridicuolously bad about VW service.
VW is too new in India to have any published customer opinions. Don't forget that SKODA is owned 80% by VW! Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
So has the "complimentary/goodwill" warranty replacement happened? Is this power of T-BHP at work? We do know that there are few from SKODA who lurk here.
No. The honest answer is: this happened concurrently.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 6th May 2010 at 15:54. Reason: See the note in your post
Old 6th May 2010, 12:56   #37
BHPian

Sorry to read about this story- again a skoda Laura AT. I shiver everytime I read such stories and wondering how many days more for my Laura AT gives me the troublefree experience. Keeping fingers crossed.
AC of skoda was never good here in India and in fact , in Dubai , many guys change their european cars acs when they buy a new one and prefer a Japanese ac.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
The dealer has no authority to even change a clip on the car without the approval of a bunch of guys sitting in banglore !!! And they communicate through e-mails. The whole of the country's warranty issues are handled by these guys. Imagine the number of issues they have to look into in a day. Its immpossible to solve problems quickly.
Completely agree. Just a small technical correction - its Aurangabad and not Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
About your turbos blowing out, do you let the car idle for a minute after cranking? Do you also let it idle for a minute before you switch the car off?
I'd try to tak to someone at skoda to see if they can replace the ac as part of a goodwill warranty. At the end of the day, it can't be denied that you have a very capable car, I'd try and get skoda to repair it out if goodwill, but then I'd take it to an aftermarket tech for maintenance work.
1) Yes I follow the 1 minute idling although I'm not sure if the Skoda mauals say so.
2) I have already got a goodwill claim but not 100% & without a time frame.
3) Thanks for offering the help and I gracefully accept it.
4) I agree that when the car is fit, I am madly in love with it - only that kept me going for 2.5 years but when its unwell, you don't know what's going to hit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I couldn't believe it, so i googled to find this:

škoda (n.): damage, detriment, harm, hurt, jammer, pity, shame
škoda (n.): damage

SKODA : translation of SKODA ( Czech - English )
Thanks Sankar - for providing the proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
I`m seriously considering the Superb and the Passat. Between the two...i might well have to go in for the Passat based purely on After sales issues. At least till now haven`t heard anything ridicuolously bad about VW service.
Here Punit, a friend has already put up a proof to what I wrote earlier (Skoda is 80% owned by VW.) Please see the link below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...udi-skoda.html

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 6th May 2010 at 15:55. Reason: See the note at the end of your post.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hey, the 2007 Laura is any different from the one in market these days?
Old 6th May 2010, 14:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Hey, the 2007 Laura is any different from the one in market these days?
The one in the market is the facelift. It brought in the 1.8 TSI engine, and some more features in the car. Since the L&K was priced ridiculously close to the Superb 1.8, they removed some features like the Sunroof from Laura. I still prefer the old Laura looks
Old 6th May 2010, 14:50   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Vinmaz - Faced a similar problem with the AC when i was temporarily using my friends 2007 laura L&K , some valve had failed & it took almost a month to be dispatched from the Skoda warehouse.

I found the service & response to be terrible. The TAFE auto service center in Blore is located inside a narrow lane in godforsaken area & they store the cars out in an open field. No proper security arrangements & constant follow ups required to know the status of repairs.

Going the legal way would take a long time, if not prepared for the long wait & battle, best option is to sell the car, buy Japanese & enjoy peace of mind & reliability.

(Corolla diesel is around the corner )

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 6th May 2010 at 14:52.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaz View Post
1) Yes I follow the 1 minute idling although I'm not sure if the Skoda mauals say so.
2) I have already got a goodwill claim but not 100% & without a time frame.
3) Thanks for offering the help and I gracefully accept it.
4) I agree that when the car is fit, I am madly in love with it - only that kept me going for 2.5 years but when its unwell, you don't know what's going to hit you.
I know man. I own a Laura Petrol and I'm madly in love with the car. It going to be serviced by Vinayak in Bangalore for as long as it is in warranty and then by a mechanic once the warranty has expired! As hard as it is to believe, you can source parts from Dubai/UK for less than what Skoda sells to you. Although, with more and more localization taking place, this should change. PM me if you'd like some contact details. Its beginning to look like some people in Skoda are trying to change the company image. Case-in-point, there are already a couple of superbs that have been replaced.
It may be too late for you to get your car replaced, but you should be able to have someone responsible take a look at your car and figure out what is wrong. Maybe you can get the Skoda India Chief engineer to come down and figure out what is happening.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:20   #43
BHPian

It's just a suggestion. Why don't you try writing to some magazine and may be they can help you out (don't know to what extend) with the situation. Autocar has a section called 'HELPLINE'. Try writing to them.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:29   #44
BANNED

Ouch! Skoda seems to manufacture lemon after lemon! The percentage of lemons frm the skoda stables with sale number in mind id seemgly very high for a company to survive any longer!

I got this off wikipedia.

'In Czech, the word 'škoda' means "damage, detriment, disadvantage", and occurs in the stock phrase "to je škoda", which roughly means, "It's a pity". It has the same meaning in several Slavic languages such as Slovene, Croatian and Polish, though in the latter it is spelled 'szkoda'.

I think the name is befitting!
Old 6th May 2010, 15:36   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I know man. I own a Laura Petrol and I'm madly in love with the car. It going to be serviced by Vinayak in Bangalore for as long as it is in warranty and then by a mechanic once the warranty has expired! As hard as it is to believe, you can source parts from Dubai/UK for less than what Skoda sells to you. .
At last I got someone who has taken car from Vinayaka. I would like to know how is thier service.

They claim they are very different from other dealers since they are new. How has your experience been with them.

Most Viewed