Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 22:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

The oil was on the cold side of spark plug, not inside the cylinder. there is no oil fouling on plug hot side, thank god. exhaust smoke is clean.
What could have caused the corrosion/burnt deposit take place in this location?
Old 16th May 2010, 01:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
What could have caused the corrosion/burnt deposit take place in this location?
Maybe the high voltage in HT cable was escaping from the rubber caps, and getting to that metal part causing it corrode ? Good that you replaced them It can be one reason of vibration too.
Old 16th May 2010, 05:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

My car vibrates too. But probably not as much as you indicate. The symptom I have is.

Car idles normally at 800ish. No major vibrations. Switch on Auto AC. AC kicks in and immediately revvs drop to 500 or less. Engine knocks I guess, and that gets transmitted quite a bit inside the cabin. Am sure it was not this much earlier. Has been there since the last 10-15K kms. Then once the AC has settled in revvs move to 1Kish and vibrations are lesser.

IIRC the revvs used to fluctuate with AC on/off earlier too, but a bit too much vibration seems to be getting into the cabin. Overall, the NVH levels in the cabin has increased.

MASS has checked mounts, plugs (stock NGK), cleaned TB. Scan shows no errors. They say all cylinders, injectors fine. Running on synthetic.

Maybe I'm being extra finicky !

Would changing the plug wires help? How much do OE wires cost?
Old 16th May 2010, 07:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

shuv, i am having the same problem, but rpm drops to 700 on ac starting in idle, climbs back to 900-1000 after 5-8 seconds. the vibration is during this period only. mass guys are saying this is normal in a old car.
changing ignition coils and cable didnt help. could not get oe cables and coils. i got lucas coils and this cable is malaysian make and packing said for swift2000.
will change timing belt and mounts and see.
Old 16th May 2010, 13:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the vibration is during this period only. mass guys are saying this is normal in a old car
My friend has a 2002 Baleno. When the AC kicks in it can be felt. But the vibrations are much less than that in my car. Yet overall my car feels a lot more 'tighter' than his.

I don't think the engine itself is vibrating abnormally. It's just that whenever the engine knocks (low idling, wrong revvs in gear), the 'transmission' of vibration into the cabin seems to have increased. It also happens at times when I switch off the engine.

But MASS was confident that the mounts are fine.

Strange things do happen though. I was getting a thudding sound when starting off in 1st, then shifting to 2nd and 3rd. There after it was less. Also in reverse gear. Read some threads and wondered it could be a driveshaft issue or maybe a suspension issue. Turned out that the buzzer for the security system (a small megaphone lookalike) had come slightly loose and was banging against something! A slightly jerky shift in 1st, 2nd, reverse used to make the sound !
Old 16th May 2010, 13:33   #21
BHPian

This is indeed a problem, when the AC cut off happens there is vibration from the engine, it is felt in the A,B & C-pillars, annoying at times in creeping traffic..

Gigy, shuvc, do you people observe jerks in lower gears while decelerating & passengers in the car can also feel it. This is more prominent with AC on & happens even when i am in proper revv band, if I am in wrong revv band the engine only knocks but does not jerk..
Old 16th May 2010, 14:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Gigy, shuvc, do you people observe jerks in lower gears while decelerating & passengers in the car can also feel it. This is more prominent with AC on & happens even when i am in proper revv band, if I am in wrong revv band the engine only knocks but does not jerk..
Yes. It does happen at times. When trying to modulate speed using the throttle/ engine braking.
Old 16th May 2010, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

traces of oil on the top side of plug or plug housing is the spillage that may have occurred during refill.

Rust is common, due to water entering during wash.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

got a chance to replace the ecu yesterday but the vibrations in idle when ac comes on remain. still not finding time to replace timing belt. replaced three of the engine mounts. right one is remaining due no stock.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:04   #25

Gigy, did you get a chance to replace the timing belt and did it help? I am facing the same problem and every time the engine is at 750 or lower RPM there is this vibration which even sounds like a shudder at times. And yes, its more evident with AC.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

ditto problem on my alto too. when headlights are on the engine vibrates a lot on idling. it also vibrates if any other electrical load is given.
checked at MASS on tech2. everything seems to be fine. replaced sparkplugs with NGK platinums. still no change.
i think its something to do with the drop in current at the sparks when electrical load is more.

RPM remains the same. timing is also perfect.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
got a chance to replace the ecu yesterday but the vibrations in idle when ac comes on remain. still not finding time to replace timing belt. replaced three of the engine mounts. right one is remaining due no stock.
Folks, I too get a vibration when switching on the AC. I think it is normal, as there is an increased load on the engine. ECU takes a moment to realize it and raise the RPM. The moment RPM raises, the vibration is gone.

Is this the same scenario for you?

Additionally, I get a resonance vibration exactly at 1900 rpm.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:59   #28
BHPian

Hi gigy

Quote:
Hi all,
I need help in finding the AC amplifier in a baleno. i suppose there is something like that in the 2002 model sold here. i have a diagram of older ones with distributor ignition. the ECU gets signal of AC selected, electricals coming on through this thing in that model. can anybody give its location in car and cost of replacement. can idle air control valve cause this?

the problem:
engine vibrates very visibly and annoying when car is idling. rpm is always steady. its maximum with ac on. it vibrates even with hazard lights coming on when in idle rpm.

i tried increasing idling but the ecu brings it back to 700 after restart.
My friends ford had a similar problem and what the service person found out was that one of it's pistons were not firing.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno engine vibration

As I had said earlier, it's not that the engine vibrates un-naturally. It's just that the revs drop below normal and ends up vibrating the car.

I was reading up on this and one of the probable issues (other than those discussed in this thread) was a malfunctioning Idle Air Control valve. During the 10th service (today) I had asked the mechanic to diagnose the problem. I did not mention IAC to him. His final take was it could be a combination of IAC and mounts. Although he too feels that the IAC seems most probable. This, without me mentioning it.

I'm now more inclined to replace the valve. Only deterrent - it costs around 8.5K !
Old 22nd June 2012, 00:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno engine vibration

Quote:
alternator is less than two years old
Gigy, do you recall the price of the alternator?

The one on my car may have failed. The battery loses power and is unable to crank the engine once in a while. Never on cold starts. It has happened a few times when the car has been switched off at traffic lights etc.

Went to a battery shop today. When I tried to crank. It choked. They took a reading at crank. Apparently the voltage was dropping to 7ish ! Jump started the car and then checked. The voltage reading never crossed 13.5 ... so .. suspected bad alternator. Hence the price enquiry

Most Viewed