Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 18:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. I fail to understand the topic "Indian made vs Hungary made" cars. IMO both are Japanese designed cars and it is the design that matters rather than where it is made - unless the comparison is between a Indian spec car with an Euro spec version.
+1, would be better to compare Swift that is made in India with the one that is made in EU.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:36   #32
BHPian

What has Indian made or XYZ made to do with this? If you want to compare something, compare made for India model with say made for Europe of the same model - else this is a useless comparison.
Old 29th October 2010, 18:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Model that is made in India (Even for Export) will use OEM suppliers and Quality Control from India.
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:02   #34
BHPian

i feel that even though the cars may have 5* NCAP rating but the cars made in india may be compromised by not only less airbags but also strength of steel used in construction just to keep costs down?

like using a less gauge steel for part fabrication then the one used abroad. just my guess only industry insiders can confirm
Old 13th June 2011, 14:42   #35
BHPian

Re: Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India

Reviving this thread after a long time.

Any idea on India NCAP being formulated/put into effect anytime soon?? Wonder how the car sales would be affected once the NCAP ratings for all models are sold in India are out.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:03   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Nano does well in this test by Autocar UK

Old 24th July 2012, 12:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV500 gets 4 star rating from ANCAP(Australian NCAP).

Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-xuv.jpg

Quote:
The tested model of the XUV500 was introduced in Australia during 2012. This ANCAP rating applies to the all-wheel-drive variant. Dual front airbags, side airbags and head-protecting side curtains are standard equipment. Antilock brakes (ABS), electronic brake distribution (EBD) and electronic stability control (ESC) are also standard.
4 stars. The XUV500 scored 10 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment lost structural integrity. Protection from serious leg injury was poor for the driver due to excessive rearward movement of the brake pedal. The vehicle scored a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test.
Quote:
4 stars. The XUV500 scored 10 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment lost structural integrity. Protection from serious leg injury was poor for the driver due to excessive rearward movement of the brake pedal. The vehicle scored a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. Frontal Offset Crash Test Body region scores out of 4 points each: Head/neck 3 pts, chest 3 pts, upper legs 4 pts, lower legs zero pts. The passenger compartment held its shape reasonably well in the offset crash test however the structure supporting the trans-fascia tube had partially separated from the A-pillar resulting in a structural modifier. The brake pedal moved rearwards by 258 mm and upwards 135 mm. The steering wheel hub moved 45 mm rearward, 135 mm upward and 8 mm sideways. The A-pillar moved 18 mm rearwards. The tailgate opened during the crash but Mahindra demonstrated that a software upgrade would eliminate this problem and so no modifier was applied. After the crash the driver's door could be opened with high manual effort. Contact with the driveshaft appears to have caused a rupture in the fuel line. The exhaust pipe contacted the fuel tank but did not cause a puncture. The airbag cushioned the head of the driver and contact was stable. The passenger's head was cushioned by the airbag. There was concern about driver knee hazards but the components were just outside the assessment zone and so no modifiers were applied.

While Scorpio based Pickup (Getaway in India) got a 2 star rating earlier, this year with some structural changes and Airbags it has managed better 3 star rating for 2012 version. AFAIK they have also been struggling with american crash tests earlier, with Scorpio faring poorly in the tests. Also remember, the international models might be spruced up versions to meet these crash norms, our local variants might not be as safe.

Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-pikup.jpg

Quote:
The Mahindra Pikup was introduced in Australia during 2007. This 3-star rating applies dual cab 4x4 Pikups built from January 2012, when several production changes were introduced. Dual cab vehicles built prior to this date have a 2-star ANCAP rating (see separate ratings). Dual front airbags, antilock brakes (ABS) and electronic brake distribution (EBD) are standard. Electronic stability control (ESC) is not available. Pretensioners are fitted to the front seat belts to reduce slack in the event of a crash. There are no top tether anchorages for child restraints so this vehicle is unsuitable for transporting children under the age of four.
3 stars. The Pikup scored 6.6 out of 16 in the offset crash test. The passenger compartment held its shape reasonably well, except for footwell and firewall intrusion. Protection from serious leg injury was poor for the driver. Chest protection was marginal for the driver and passenger. The vehicle was awarded a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test.
Source: Mahindra safety | XUV500 crash test - ANCAP
Mahindra safety | Pik-Up crash test - ANCAP

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th July 2012 at 13:01. Reason: added video
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 23:49   #38
BHPian

very informative thread.

i remember that in one of the Top Gear episodes they explained in very simple terms on how a car is rated 2-3 or 5 stars. the episode was season 2 - episode 7 - towards the end of it.

on youtube i could only find the part after which the explanation thing starts.

infotech58 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 00:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Nano does well in this test by Autocar UK
Agree with the comments in YouTube. That's quite bad an angle to showcase a crash test.

But proud the little Nano came out well. The crashed car doesn't look bad in that picture on the video clip.

Last edited by deetjohn : 26th July 2012 at 00:16. Reason: Removing the YT link.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:11   #40
MHG
BHPian

Is there any information on Indian-spec (meaning: the same specifications tested are also available for legal purchase in India) cars going through Euro NCAP testing ?
Old 5th December 2013, 09:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

While all these tests are being discussed and talked about, I am still not sure of the use hard body shell (strong steel) being used by players like VW, Fiat etc vs soft body shell being used by Japanese players like Suzuki, Honda etc, atleast for upto C segment. I have seen stronger sheet metal use by Honda in Accord etc.

There are discussions about crumple zones and allied things, while these discussions do talk about usage of crumple zones and therefore energy absorption, I am still not clear as to what is better for the occupants - a strong body vs a soft body or the story behind crumple zone is just to hide poor sheet metal / cost cutting by these companies?

Can someone please elaborate?

Last edited by i74js : 5th December 2013 at 09:56.
Old 31st January 2014, 11:15   #42
BHPian

There is a new item in NDTV website today about how Indian spec cars of global models are fairing poorly while the Europe cars are doing bad. he has mentioned the I10. This is really worrying since i believe lot of people (including me) believed that if the car has performed well in crash tests abroad the same will hold good here too. Maybe the difference in performance is due to the absence of Airbags but if it is due to structural reasons then it is really worrying.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/ma...-lateststories

Mods: Please merge it with any other thread which might be more relevant and recent
Mohan Mathew A is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:53   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
There is a new item in NDTV website today about how Indian spec cars of global models are fairing poorly while the Europe cars are doing bad. he has mentioned the I10. This is really worrying since i believe lot of people (including me) believed that if the car has performed well in crash tests abroad the same will hold good here too. Maybe the difference in performance is due to the absence of Airbags but if it is due to structural reasons then it is really worrying.
This is the report that they have given for the Hyundai i10 (2008 model).

Quote:
Front impact
The passenger compartment remained stable in the impact. Protection of the driver's chest was rated as weak owing to the extent to which it was compressed during the test. Structures in the dashboard presented a risk of injury to the knees and femurs of the front seat passengers.

Side impact
A head-protecting airbag is not available for the i10 so no pole test was performed.

Child occupant
Based on the dummy response in the dynamic tests, the i10 scored maximum points for its protection of the 3 year dummy. The passenger airbag can be deactivated by means of a switch, allowing a rearward-facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. However, information provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag is not sufficiently clear. No clear warning is given of the dangers of using a rearward facing child seat in that seat without first disabling the airbag. The presence of ISOFIX and top-tether anchorages in the rear outboard seats was not clearly marked.

Pedestrian
The bumper scored maximum points for the protection it offered pedestrians' legs. However, the front edge of the bonnet offered poor protection.
Attaching a few pictures of the car too.

Overall Rating and performance
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-i10vert.jpg

CRS
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-hyundai-i10_crs.jpg

Frontal impact
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-hyundai-i10_front.jpg

Driver impact
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-hyundai-i10_driver.jpg

Side Imapct
Euro NCAP Ratings of cars sold in India-hyundai-i10_side.jpg

Source: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_i10_2008/323.aspx

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 31st January 2014 at 12:11.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 12:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice compilation of the report Anurag. Thanks a lot.
So what was the final score for i10 against a rating of 5 stars?

Also, don't you think that if the cars sold (& tested) in Europe are different in terms of protection they offer as sold in India, it is grossly unethical for them to wear a '5-star safety' sticker all around them like the i20?
Old 31st January 2014, 12:16   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Very nice compilation of the report Anurag. Thanks a lot.
So what was the final score for i10 against a rating of 5 stars?

Also, don't you think that if the cars sold (& tested) in Europe are different in terms of protection they offer as sold in India, it is grossly unethical for them to wear a '5-star safety' sticker all around them like the i20?
I guess the Hyundai i10 would be overall 4 stars which is good enough.

Regarding the i20, here is the link for the analysis and rating:

http://www.euroncap.com/results/hyundai/i20.aspx

The Overall rating is 5 stars which is what is stuck on the rear windshield of all i20's

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed