Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 23:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@Eddy: You mentioned that the same meter from your car worked fine in an other car? Which means , the problem is not really with the tachometer, but the one that gives the required inputs to it. And most probably your issue won't be solved even if you get a new meter!
Hey, it was the other way round. Another meter worked fine on my car.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hey, it was the other way round. Another meter worked fine on my car.
Oops! Sorry. If that is the case, never mind, get a a spanking new scratch-less meter assembly under warranty.

If there is no harm in advancing the odo by the required kms, go ahead.
Old 8th May 2010, 17:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am in a dilemma. The tachometer of my Swift VDi has started malfunctioning intermittently. Basically, it shows funny readings (like 0 when the car is on etc). Took it to a MASS where they switched it with another car and the readings were fine.

Even at 75,000 kms, they have agreed to cover this under extended warranty. The entire instrument cluster comes as a single piece and will be replaced. So what's bothering me ?

- The new cluster will have the odometer start afresh. From 0. Will this be a problem while I am selling the car ? I might sound funny, and I can't express it in words, but I feel an emotional connect with the odo reading.

I mean, the reading will no longer reflect the true mileage. I will miss capturing the magical 100,000 mark and so and so forth. Its stupid, I know.

Is there any way that the new odometer can be recalibrated to reflect the true mileage ? MASS has refused to do so.

Do you suggest going ahead and changing it ? Or shall I live with the old one ?

PS: Had it not been covered under warranty, this thread would not have existed. I would easily live with a faulty tacho rather than spend 7.5k on it.
ODO reading should not get reset if you replace the instrument cluster. The ODO reading must be stored in EMS and not in the instrument cluster. Normally only trip meters are stored in the instrument cluster.
Could you please tell, what was the reading when another instrument cluster was used.
Old 8th May 2010, 19:18   #19
BHPian

Eddy this can easily be done, and i dont think there will be any signs of tampering. Vinay can provide details of where to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
A friend of mine had got it done (backwords in his accent). Its a 5 min job and costs Rs 500. You or for that matter no one can ever make out. He might be able to help. Let me ask. The +ves are the same as mentioned by ashthedivx and they are worth it.
@Vinay: I think i know this friend of yours
Old 8th May 2010, 19:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
ODO reading should not get reset if you replace the instrument cluster. The ODO reading must be stored in EMS and not in the instrument cluster. Normally only trip meters are stored in the instrument cluster.
Could you please tell, what was the reading when another instrument cluster was used.
Even I was under the same impression that only the trip-meters would reset and the main odometer would be linked to the ECM maybe. But the meter they fitted onto my car carried forward the 21k odd reading from the other car
Old 8th May 2010, 20:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@Eddy: You mentioned that the same meter from your car worked fine in an other car? Which means , the problem is not really with the tachometer, but the one that gives the required inputs to it. And most probably your issue won't be solved even if you get a new meter!

Check for how the tacho gets the required inputs, for a Swift.

Various types are explained here.

How Do Tachometers Work? | eHow.com
^ I second that.

Eddy did your meter worked fine on other car ?

Also getting the meter reading reset for Rs.200-300 is the best way out to save yourself from pains of explaining things in future.
Just get it done, or find instructions online as iam sure the info is available on internet.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

He did not connect my meter to the other car.
Old 8th May 2010, 22:31   #23
BHPian

^^ ok. check youtube, there are videos on resetting the ODO Readings.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
He did not connect my meter to the other car.
Was this done at Galaxy Motors?
I ask this because, I think they lack competency. I was facing a strange noise issue with my car, and after trying for about an hour, they referred me to Maruti Naraina saying that Maruti Naraina has more expertise in this car.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Noida sector 16 has lots of such small shots which reset meters etc., You could probably try those. Its a huge auto market.
I am sure there are such auto markets in Delhi also, for example karol bagh etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks