Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 01:38   #1

Help Faulty Indigo Alternator

Hi
My Tata Indigo LS suddenly refused to start and after taking it to TASC I discovered that the alternator was faulty. To speed up the repair / replacement I contacted the Lucas TVS Service in Gurgaon. The person suggested me to replace the alternator as the repair charges were high
There are two options
1. A new alternator costs RS 12 k
2. However he is suggesting that I put a Indica's new alternator which is Rs 6.5 k and has the same amperage as 12 k one .

He said that only the pulley size is diff which he would change.
Anyone with knowledge regarding this may please advice me
Can I go for the cheaper one.
Please give me a suggestion soon as I need to replace it by tomorrow

Regards
Vikas
Old 11th May 2010, 10:36   #2
BHPian

Most probably the rectifier unit would have gone kaput. Check with any local electrician. Which are the brand names of the old & new alternators?
If there is a warranty on the new alternator, then I would simply go for the new one.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would replace the entire alternator unit & will stay away from any fixing work. Reason? I need reliability more than anything at any point in time, be it midnight or start of the day the car should do what it is supposed to work as it is expected. If the cost is more, I would wait to replace the entire unit or fix something for now to get it running & fix it permanently as soon as possible, like in a day or a week.

Last edited by aargee : 11th May 2010 at 11:27.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:27   #4
BANNED

[quote=saki76;1879104]Hi
My Tata Indigo LS suddenly refused to start and after taking it to TASC I discovered that the alternator was faulty. To speed up the repair / replacement I contacted the Lucas TVS Service in Gurgaon. The person suggested me to replace the alternator as the repair charges were high
There are two options
1. A new alternator costs RS 12 k
2. However he is suggesting that I put a Indica's new alternator which is Rs 6.5 k and has the same amperage as 12 k one .

First try to find out what is gone wrong . You dont really have to replace the alternator if the bushes , bearings or the regulator is gone . All these are consumables and try to find a local electrician to get the job done . Depending on the job it might cost 250-1,000 .
Old 12th May 2010, 23:22   #5
BHPian

A complete alternator overhaul costs around 6-7K. Try another Lucas workshop if possible

Most Viewed