Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 14:28   #1

Pick Up Issues with my Ikon Flair

Hi,

I own an Ikon Flair '06 recently underwent change of the Engine Head because the coolant had mixed with the engine oil and because of excessive heat the head got bent a little.

This change was made outside of the FORD workshop as it was very expensive to get a new engine head there.

the whole job (including new thermostat aseembly, coolant valve, water pump etc) cost me 25k.

But after a few days i started noticing a weird problem. Whenever the AC is on it is virtually impossible to move the car from stationary position in 1st gear. I apply the gear and push the throttle but nothing happens unless i switch the AC off and then try harder by slowly releasing the clutch.

This is very irritating I went to FORD and they told me that its the Head replacement. The pressure inside the Cylinders is less so there is some power loss happening.

But to really analyze the problem they will have to open the Engine Head which will cost another 4k!!

I'm thinking of taking it to the same mechanic but i dont trust him anymore.

What could be the problem here?

thanks
Old 12th May 2010, 15:22   #2
BANNED

[quote=motor-head;1881748]Hi,

I own an Ikon Flair '06 recently underwent change of the Engine Head because the coolant had mixed with the engine oil and because of excessive heat the head got bent a little.

This change was made outside of the FORD workshop as it was very expensive to get a new engine head there.

the whole job (including new thermostat aseembly, coolant valve, water pump etc) cost me 25k.

But after a few days i started noticing a weird problem. Whenever the AC is on it is virtually impossible to move the car from stationary position in 1st gear. I apply the gear and push the throttle but nothing happens unless i switch the AC off and then try harder by slowly releasing the clutch.

Without the A/c is the pickup normal ? If it is normal please check if the a/c compressor is working fine . There are chances that the timing of the vehicle might be set wrong causing u low pickup .

This is very irritating I went to FORD and they told me that its the Head replacement. The pressure inside the Cylinders is less so there is some power loss happening.
They dont have to open the head . They can check with a pressure gauge . Get a compression pressure test done .
Old 13th May 2010, 12:22   #3
BANNED

That's the price you pay when you get such critical things done outside the A.S.S. BTW 4K is small price to diagnose the problem supposedly got by spending 25k.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

How is the vehicle moving otherwise? Is there a symptom of power loss?
Old 15th June 2010, 15:59   #5

@greatmana2000 - Without the AC the pickup is normal in the lower gears and the vehicle runs as it was. I got it checked from the same mechanic and he reportedly found some scraps of metal on the orifice tube in the AC!! which he cleaned but they came back according to him. His pointer was the Compressor which can be faulty. A new compressor costs 26k!!!

@jaggu - While revving the motor hard i do sometimes feel that the adequate power is not coming but frankly i did not use to rev hard earlier and have only started to do so in the last few yrs. I have felt a little decline but attributed that to aging of the car.

Logically the problem seems to be with the AC, because the issue comes only when the AC is on.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford IKON Flair IMO does not show a major power loss with the A/C switched on. And regarding your pick up problem, the Ford guys do not need to actually open the engine up to check. To check if engine overhauling work was done correctly or not you can check the compression 'outside the engine'.

Also may be the cause is that some sensors got damaged and the ECU is not getting the air/fuel ratio correct. For that also you need not open up the engine. However it would be better if you could check your entire sensor/ecu with Ford(Actually I guess its ECM with Ford).

And finally please stick to A.S.S while doing these kind of major works. Not that you wont get a better result outside, but then in my experience these 'outside' workshops are highly inconsistent with their work output. You cannot afford error in these departments. You might have saved about 30k but then you can live with your machine peacefully.

Last edited by dhanushs : 15th June 2010 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks