Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 13:37   #1
BHPian

Replacing Clutch on swift diesel

Hi,
I have a swift vdi and it has done 68000kms until now. Now from last few thousand kms i was finding my top speed reduced considerably and also my FE has gone down. Showed this to Mass and they have said my clutch needs replacement. They have quoted approximately 10,000rs for the replacement, is this the correct amount?? And how would i know if the clutch is at fault? The clutch has to be depressed to the full, to move the car, is this a symptom???

So guys need your suggestions urgently. Thankyou.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

You mean to say that you need to declutch fully to engage gear? Thats not the right way to figure out.

Do you feel any clutch slip? or clutch judder?
Old 13th May 2010, 15:46   #3
BHPian

68,000 kms.. Your clutch sure did last a long ! Did they give you a break-up of parts+labor. The labor should ideally be around 2000-2500.

Compare the price with another service center and go for it - you will love the change it brings to your driving experience.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

The clutch change should not cost you more than 6k. 10,000 looks to be very steep.

Test the clutch first.

Pull the handbrake on. Start the car. Engage 3rd gear. Release the clutch and accelerate a little bit (basically, try pulling on 3rd from stationary). If the car stalls immediately, the clutch might be ok. If it doesn't stall and doesn't move, clutch is gone.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try the primitive clutch test - start the car, engage clutch , put it in second gear, engage handbrake fully, slowly release the clutch while accelerating a bit - see whether engine stalls instantly as expected or it coughs one or two times before dying.

EDIT: I saw Eddy's post which talks about the same thing above right after posting this!

Last edited by clevermax : 13th May 2010 at 15:54.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 01:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^^ You might want to put it in 1st gear instead of 2nd or third.
Quote:
If it doesn't stall (stops) and doesn't move, clutch is gone.
Boing! Boing!

Swift clutch and pressure plate costs about 3600.
Labour is about 800/-

But you might also want to change the clutch release bearing fly wheel etc.

Also drain the gear oil completely. This can all be done in above labour, which may save you money in the long run.

Last edited by SirAlec : 14th May 2010 at 01:25.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^ You might want to put it in 1st gear instead of 2nd or third.
Boing! Boing!

Swift clutch and pressure plate costs about 3600.
Labour is about 800/-

But you might also want to change the clutch release bearing fly wheel etc.

Also drain the gear oil completely. This can all be done in above labour, which may save you money in the long run.
i think your talking about swift petrol, because petrol clutch is cheaper than diesel. i have asked in another service station and they said the clutch cost around 8000 excluding labor.

And whenever i have to pull the car on bridges from stationary it vibrates. And i had shown the car to two or three mechanics and they said i need to change the clutch. I have told the service guy to give me my old clutch back.

thanks alot everybody.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Sammy, confirm with them what parts they are changing. Clutch plate, pressure plate, & release bearing should cost you around 6k including labour. These three are the minimum that would be changed.

The flywheel is approx 1800 bucks and will be changed only if needed.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 10:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

This judder can be a sign of weak clutch (rather pressure plate), but i wouldn't confirm based on that. My SA told i should change clutch when the car was around 24k and now its 43k kms and still on the same plates. Sometimes it judders, its totally unpredictable and irregular. Happened after few months today morning. But car just sings when it revs as it used to earlier.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sammy, confirm with them what parts they are changing. Clutch plate, pressure plate, & release bearing should cost you around 6k including labour. These three are the minimum that would be changed.

The flywheel is approx 1800 bucks and will be changed only if needed.
thanks eddy they are just opening the clutch and would call me in few hours to tell me what to change and what to keep. i will inform here about the rate quoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This judder can be a sign of weak clutch (rather pressure plate), but i wouldn't confirm based on that. My SA told i should change clutch when the car was around 24k and now its 43k kms and still on the same plates. Sometimes it judders, its totally unpredictable and irregular. Happened after few months today morning. But car just sings when it revs as it used to earlier.
Thanks Jaggu the SA would tell me whats the problem and then only i will take any decision. Thanks for the guidance. I will post the picture of my old clutch if at all we change it. And one more thing i have been complaining about reduced top speed which doesn't go beyond 160 for sometime, and the advisor says it is due to the clutch.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Beyond 160 ??

Why do you need to go beyond that ? Totally unsafe.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
i think your talking about swift petrol, because petrol clutch is cheaper than diesel. i have asked in another service station and they said the clutch cost around 8000 excluding labor.

And whenever i have to pull the car on bridges from stationary it vibrates. And i had shown the car to two or three mechanics and they said i need to change the clutch. I have told the service guy to give me my old clutch back.

thanks alot everybody.
I know you are enquiring about diesel, Petrol one cost just 1850.

Swift diesel clutch plate is 3700 with tax. labour is 850.

You see i have a softare of maruti. This is hard to get but my friend own an A.S.S.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Changing the clutch minus a flywheel change in a swift diesel is inviting judder at your door steps. Change the flywheel too. Trust me on this. This is an experience of 3 set of changes to the entire assembly including the flywheel in my Swift Diesel.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 14:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Beyond 160 ??

Why do you need to go beyond that ? Totally unsafe.
just to see how far it goes, i have taken it to 170 easily it was wanting to go more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I know you are enquiring about diesel, Petrol one cost just 1850.

Swift diesel clutch plate is 3700 with tax. labour is 850.

You see i have a softare of maruti. This is hard to get but my friend own an A.S.S.
ok thanks the advisor called up and he said the clutch plate, pressure plate and bearings with oil will cost me around 6500 and labour approx 1500 is it reasonable?

myum;1885489]Changing the clutch minus a flywheel change in a swift diesel is inviting judder at your door steps. Change the flywheel too. Trust me on this. This is an experience of 3 set of changes to the entire assembly including the flywheel in my Swift Diesel.[/quote]
are u sure, is this particularly in your case alone or common to all swift diesel, what everybody says should i go for flywheel change even if it is in good condition.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Check the gear notches on flywheel. and play on centre bearing. If they look fine don't change it.

If a single notch seems to have a hit from starter motor change the flywheel. You will save the labour plus the whole day. ANd its only 1700 for flywheel.

Also do check the clutch release bearing and slave unit for any wear. The unit is very expensive (Part No. 23820N79J00).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks