Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 09:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Odometer / Instrument Cluster Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkonline View Post
Hi team,

I own a ford endeavour 4x4, recently i have been having problems with its instrument cluster, it seems that the speedometer, tacho and fuel gauge is dead. Rest of the LED indications are working fine. Ford service engineer replace the cluster with another cars cluster and decleared that my cluster need replacement. --Price 41k and the worse part the part is -- not in stock.

Well I would like to know if these clusters can be repaired in and around GOA or any place were i can find a old working instrument cluster. If any of the team members can provide some contact details it would be of great help.

Waiting for response
I'm sure a competent electronics engineer can troubleshoot the console. Could probably build you a new one as well. Shouldn't be too difficult. Kurla Scrap Yard would be my best bet for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me about where to repair the fused bulbs of the instrument cluster of ford figo, in and around Delhi? The service center changes the whole console, which i think is unnecessary.Thanks in advance.
If the console for the Figo is anything like the one in the Ikon, you can replace it with LEDs. No replacement required, EVER. My profile picture is of the instrument cluster replaced with LEDs (I found the default green too dim and annoying). If it is backlit, you may have to open it up a bit more.

Last edited by RM2488 : 16th September 2012 at 09:43.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
If the console for the Figo is anything like the one in the Ikon, you can replace it with LEDs. No replacement required, EVER. My profile picture is of the instrument cluster replaced with LEDs (I found the default green too dim and annoying). If it is backlit, you may have to open it up a bit more.
That is exactly what I have been trying to do. But then I am a doctor and not very good with ammeter and electronic stuff, but I am very OK to opening things up and tinkering. The problem is, I generally deal with different "models" and it took me eight loong years to read it's "service manual" which I must say, is very well documented .

So, my first step was to get a service manual for Ford Figo, which I managed to get last month from SA. (I have posted it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2882840 )

Unfortunately, it is not well documented and does not tell me about the bulbs inside the cluster.

Second, I have combed the internet for DIY, and have got some excellent discussions here: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...evised-270511/

and here

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum...ised-24052011/

(Mods: Is it OK to give links to other forums?)

Third, I can source the LEDs from here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/i...cluster-gauge/

(I suffer from Friends in US (FUSS) syndrome.)

But the problem is I need someone with the expertise to tell me what LEDs to order. I am kind of lost after this step. The website tells you which LEDs replace bulbs of which number. But the Ford manual does not tell me the number of the bulbs used in the cluster. Alternative option would be to take the cluster to any electrical engineer who repairs these consoles, who can tell me the wattage/voltage etc of the stock bulbs. There are specification charts from which I can then proceed.

I can also source a LCD grade Polarizer film for the two displays in the car.

I will be overjoyed if you or any one else can guide me from here. I generally don't like to open "it" up till I am very sure of success of the "operation" . A very bad habit hammered by years of training, you see. So I was looking for an electrical engineer in and around Delhi.

By buddy you are an amazing diagnostician, to have hit the "beemari" from the vague symptom I posted.

Cheers!
Old 17th September 2012, 01:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
But the problem is I need someone with the expertise to tell me what LEDs to order. I am kind of lost after this step. The website tells you which LEDs replace bulbs of which number.

But the Ford manual does not tell me the number of the bulbs used in the cluster. Alternative option would be to take the cluster to any electrical engineer who repairs these consoles, who can tell me the wattage/voltage etc of the stock bulbs. There are specification charts from which I can then proceed.
The LEDs you link to are drop-in replacements for the bulbs, i.e. the socket will fit. They run on 12V as well, but the light output may be different.

For practically every incandescent bulb used in a car, the voltage is always 12V, it's the current that differs- hence the wattage also differs. Technically, you could connect one of the instrument cluster bulbs to your headlights without blowing them up- they work off the same voltage. If you can extract one of the bulbs, the wattage will be stamped on it.

In my experience (although you need the technical chart for the LED in question for real analysis- lumen output, wattage, diffraction angle, etc.), LEDs consuming around 20% of the wattage of an incandescent bulb give similar output.

Quote:
I can also source a LCD grade Polarizer film for the two displays in the car.
Not all LCDs are the same. At times it is not a tinted polarizer, but a coloured LED in the diffuser which gives a characteristic glow.

Quote:
I will be overjoyed if you or any one else can guide me from here. I generally don't like to open "it" up till I am very sure of success of the "operation" . A very bad habit hammered by years of training, you see. So I was looking for an electrical engineer in and around Delhi.

By buddy you are an amazing diagnostician, to have hit the "beemari" from the vague symptom I posted.

Cheers!
I don't know about diagnostics I've done- YOU yourself posted that the bulbs were fused, I did no detective work- but thanks for the complement
Don't worry about things going wrong, just open up the console and have a look. As long as you can put it back together, there is no problem. The bulbs are already shot as it is, and if you can't get this fixed then you're going for a new cluster anyway- what do you have to lose? I'm sure a lot of Team-BHP members will help out with the "operation" if you post your progress. Additionally, I'll go through the manual and tell you if I come up with something.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
So, my first step was to get a service manual for Ford Figo, which I managed to get last month from SA. (I have posted it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2882840 )

Unfortunately, it is not well documented and does not tell me about the bulbs inside the cluster.
If you mean the 129 MB manual, then it seems to indicate (GROUP 4 - ELECTRICAL- INSTRUMENTATION AND WARNING SYSTEMS- Instrument Cluster) that the existing lighting is also via LEDs. However, the car model you have may differ.

In case your cluster does indeed have LEDs, I doubt they're burnt out- it's probably a fuse or wiring issue somewhere.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 10:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
If you mean the 129 MB manual, then it seems to indicate (GROUP 4 - ELECTRICAL- INSTRUMENTATION AND WARNING SYSTEMS- Instrument Cluster) that the existing lighting is also via LEDs. However, the car model you have may differ.

In case your cluster does indeed have LEDs, I doubt they're burnt out- it's probably a fuse or wiring issue somewhere.
OK, Let me open up the cluster and take some pics. Will post them by tomorrow. Thanks for giving me the confidence to go ahead.
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:00   #21
BHPian

Recently, speedometer, odometer and trip meter of my Fiat Palio Stile stopped working. Other instruments like the fuel level guage, temperature guage and tachymeter were working fine.

Took it to my trusted local mechanic who diagnosed it correctly. The sensor had gone bad. He got a new one from JC Road for about 1800/- and installed it last evening. It seems to have fixed the problem.

The original sensor which has gone bad has 'Padmini' on it...
Old 1st November 2014, 04:43   #22
BHPian

My S60 instrument cluster (DIM) stopped giving the audio alarms and now only the visual indications work.
The Volvo ASS is telling me to renew the part, which obviously doesn't come cheap.
I thought that I will seek help here first before doing anything else.
Anyone who is technically inclined or familiar with similar systems, please advise.
If anyone can give me the contact details of someone who does repair the instrument clusters, it will be of great help. Thanks.
Anyone who had one a repair of the instrument cluster, help

Last edited by jfxavier : 1st November 2014 at 04:56.
Old 21st June 2020, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Re: Palio Odometer repair in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Roadie View Post
I had the exact same problem with my Palio Stile. The entire cluster works fine accept the odometer and tripmeter. After learning from TATA sevices in Goa that the price for a replacement is 16K I decided to go ahead and open the cluster hoping that it was just a 'loose connector'.
I own a Palio Stile 1.1 and have the same issue nowadays. A guy from a Maruti service center told me that the issue is with the sensor, which has to be replaced. Since I am apprehensive about the competence of non-Fiat experts about this vehicle, I took it to a Fiat mechanic. However, when we took the car out and for weeks afterwards, the speedo/odo combo worked well. Now it has started misbehaving again.
Can anybody comment on the possible fault/issue here?
How much is the possibility of the sensor being the culprit here?
Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an intermittent problem - could be associated with the wires coming out of the sensor.

The speedometer signal cable is located behind the engine - low down and after the clutch cylinder. You will be able to see a three pin connector (with wire protector). It can be pulled out. Check whether there is a loose connection or a cut wire.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this old thread. Does anyone know where the instrument cluster can be repaired in Mumbai. I have a Laura and the LED lights on the needles have gone off.
Old 29th March 2024, 13:03   #26

I am reviving this thread again to highlight and point out the instrument cluster issue in my 13 year old Indica Vista, Diesel Quadrajet engine and 115K Kms on the odometer.
The LCD display on the instrument cluster unit had conked off multiple times and I was forced to go for an used one, since ASC's were least interested to order and buy the original one even though I was prepared to buy one. Going forward I fitted an used one sourced from the Kurla market and thankfully it worked fine for 2 years, but the infamous LCD display issue cropped up again.
I repaired the cluster unit with a new LCD display, but the LCD display levels are not bright enough and simply not readable in the bright sunshine. Now going forward I am at my wits end on the decision i.e. whether to keep on buying the used ones or replace the unit with a brand new one which costs around Rs 13,000/- as I would like to keep the car for some more time. Hence request the forum members to guide me on this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks