Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 23:46   #1
BHPian

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems

Hi, I have a Mahindra Bolero GLX that I bought in 2001. It came fitted with a Mico Alternator. The Car or MUV is superb. Ive clocked 2Lakhs on the Mile o' meter, had the engine overhauled at around 1,70,000 kms and the car is still as trust worthy as the first day that I bought it. I've posted some pictures of them below and in some other posts (yet another modified bolero).

Of late for the Past 3 Years I have started having problems with my alternator and battery & the charing. The Bolero GLX used to come fitted with a Battrey Charging Meter (which I feel is very essential for all cars but I dont see any in the new cars or models of today) & the Charger level used to stay at a constant of 14 v or in between the 12v - 16 v mark without the AC & Lights on but now it shows only 12 v even when i rev up the engine, without the lights or the AC on & I cant even think of putting on the AC on coz then even my horn wont function!!!.

I have been to every garage avilable in the state and even in West Bengal but the problem is still not detected. I have repaired the alternator almost a dozen times now & I have changed the Battery every year For the past 7 years but the problem still persisted. I now have a brand new alternator MICO installed & another new AMARON Battery Installed but the problem is still there. When i change either of the battery or the alternator replaced the problem is solved for about a day or two but after that it's back to square one. Even the garages & Electricians are so baffeled that they now tell me that its perfectly ok and that the car or alternator is functioning exactly the way it should be! I know that the problem is not solved as even my lights (that I had replaced) have become dimmer!!

Is there anyone who can help me with this & Help me solve this problem? Other than this problem the car is still fine & I don't want to considering selling this car but I need to have the problem fixed. If anyone can help than I'd greatly apreciate it. thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd May 2010 at 00:01. Reason: Please post in relevant section and paragraph do help with reading. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked the wiring, i think the wiring is messed up and burning the alternator up. Thats why it works for few days and then goes kaput!
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sathi! Timro tio kalo Bolero 7471??

As already said by Jaggu, just check the wiring.

ALso check those various plastic connectors. This kind of problem is common in Hills.

If you somehow visit DJ and (not siliguri), Even the Mahindra dealer there Ravi Auto is shitty.

PM me I will have someone check it for you.

Coming few week is out of question though as you know the unrest there.

BTW how often do you use your Bolero. IN hills I have seen battery going flat without any reasons, I had a Mahindra Voyager that had this problem, because it was not used often.

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd May 2010 at 00:56.
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerkarma View Post
Hi, I have a Mahindra Bolero GLX that I bought in 2001. It came fitted with a Mico Alternator. The Car or MUV is superb. Ive clocked 2Lakhs on the Mile o' meter, had the engine overhauled at around 1,70,000 kms and the car is still as trust worthy as the first day that I bought it. I've posted some pictures of them below and in some other posts (yet another modified bolero).

Of late for the Past 3 Years I have started having problems with my alternator and battery & the charing. The Bolero GLX used to come fitted with a Battrey Charging Meter (which I feel is very essential for all cars but I dont see any in the new cars or models of today) & the Charger level used to stay at a constant of 14 v or in between the 12v - 16 v mark without the AC & Lights on but now it shows only 12 v even when i rev up the engine, without the lights or the AC on & I cant even think of putting on the AC on coz then even my horn wont function!!!.

I have been to every garage avilable in the state and even in West Bengal but the problem is still not detected. I have repaired the alternator almost a dozen times now & I have changed the Battery every year For the past 7 years but the problem still persisted. I now have a brand new alternator MICO installed & another new AMARON Battery Installed but the problem is still there. When i change either of the battery or the alternator replaced the problem is solved for about a day or two but after that it's back to square one. Even the garages & Electricians are so baffeled that they now tell me that its perfectly ok and that the car or alternator is functioning exactly the way it should be! I know that the problem is not solved as even my lights (that I had replaced) have become dimmer!!
Hi,
Why are you replacing the alternator, and not just the voltage regulator? How does the replaced alternator work on another vehicle.

The self starter managing to start the engine in this circumstance is surprising.

Where is the battery earth connected? Check out all earthing straps. Esp. engine block, and instrument panel.

What is the actual battery float voltage measured at battery terminals? And the alternator output voltage measured between alternator output terminal and alternator body. Pls. use a high quality analogue meter for this measurement.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Innerkarma: As already mentioned in the other check your rectifier regulator unit. I think that is suspect apart from the wiring. Have a feeling that there is current leak somewhere
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Hi again guys,
Thaks for the reply. I did have the regulator checked also and the alternator n the battery's fine coz they do fine on my armada grand. One thing i didnt do is check the earththing so I'll do that myself. I think its better

SirAlec, ManU fan? yeah my car is the one u talking about. where u frm dude? Irecently upgraded the suspenion & I have a crazy 3.5 " lift in the front & about 4.5" to the rear. You should check it out. I'll post the new pics soon. &

Thanks all onve againg. Will get back
Cheers!!
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:09   #7
BHPian

Hi

here are a few pics of my bolero from time to time. I'll have the latest pics updated soon.
Attached Thumbnails
BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-karmas-pics-4.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-karmas-pics-5.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-karmas-pics-10.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-web4.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-web9.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-web12.jpg  

BOLERO GLX 2001 Alternator Problems-web10.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2010, 22:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerkarma View Post
Hi again guys,
Thaks for the reply. I did have the regulator checked also and the alternator n the battery's fine coz they do fine on my armada grand. One thing i didnt do is check the earththing so I'll do that myself. I think its better

SirAlec, ManU fan? yeah my car is the one u talking about. where u frm dude? Irecently upgraded the suspenion & I have a crazy 3.5 " lift in the front & about 4.5" to the rear. You should check it out. I'll post the new pics soon. &

Thanks all onve againg. Will get back
Cheers!!
Am a chelsea fan.? what makes you think I am a ManU fan?

You couldn't guess from where I am.??

I will not recommend the lift of that sort in hills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks