Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Palio 1.2 Radiator Fan Not Working

Yesterday while driving I noticed that A/C wasnt cooling properly after which I noticed that temp needle had risen to half way mark and the radiator fan wasnt running.

I switched off the A/C immediately but the needle was still rising. It went to slightly more than the 3/4th mark until I reached my destination. The roads were empty while I was coming back and on the way back it kept within the half way mark.

I spoke to my mechanic on phone today and he said that fan motor's bearing could have gone and the fan motor would have jammed. I checked the fan but its not jammed and is moving as easily and as free as ever so that rules out any mechanical failure. I also checked the fan fuse and that is also fine.

My mechanic is coming down tomorrow to have a look at the car but is there anything that I should keep in mind so that I am not fleeced by the mechanic.

The fan motor would cost me a whopping 5k's if sourced from Fiat dealer but around 2800 if sourced from outside. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:16   #2
BHPian

Ask the mechanic to take out the fan wire and connect it directly to the battery and see if fan runs, also bypass the thermostat switch and check. If fan runs then either its some faulty electrical or thermostat switch failure, else the fan motor is blown. Source it from outside.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:58   #3
BHPian

the palio is known for the fan motor to get jammed due to carbon deposit.

you will most probably have to change the motor
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:15   #4
BHPian

Are you able to turn the fan by hand? If so, it could be an electrical problem.

In case the bearning is seized, the fan would have to be replaced. I would recommend getting it replaced from the Service Center. In case you are getting it from outside, check if all the markings indicate it is an OEM fan.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 23rd May 2010 at 14:17.
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:53   #5
BHPian

as suggested by Hashim,, this is the best method to instantly know if your fan is kaput or not.

As you say its moving freely, either its the motor or the thermostat, the possibility of Bearing failure is not possible as its moving freely.
If the fan motor coil is gone and fan doesn't works with direct connection to battery, you'll need to replace the fan.

Buy from outside, compare 2-3 shops or ask any mech which brand he's installed on other vehicles most.
Old 24th May 2010, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

The one on Palio is a "gates" branded and I am getting same for 2.5k's and 5k's from the Fiat dealer. The dealer is offering me a warranty of 6 months while there is no warranty if I source it from outside.

The mechanic didnt will be coming tomorrow to inspect it, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The one on Palio is a "gates" branded and I am getting same for 2.5k's and 5k's from the Fiat dealer. The dealer is offering me a warranty of 6 months while there is no warranty if I source it from outside.

The mechanic didnt will be coming tomorrow to inspect it, keeping my fingers crossed.
I suggest you to scout around Kashmere gate if you do find your fan faulty. You may get exact fit replacement at a pittance. FIAT dealer prices are usually on the higher side as they don't have much stock & you are required place an 'order' first.

2k is a reasonable price for a fan.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

What if the fuse is blown?
Old 25th May 2010, 14:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax - I have already checked the fuse and its fine. The mechanic came today with a repaired fan motor which was attached to my car. As soon as I started the AC the motor started spinning confirming that fan motor is the culprit. I have asked him to get me a new fan motor.

Just one more question guys? Can the fan motor be repaired?
Old 25th May 2010, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I suggest you to scout around Kashmere gate if you do find your fan faulty. You may get exact fit replacement at a pittance. FIAT dealer prices are usually on the higher side as they don't have much stock & you are required place an 'order' first.

2k is a reasonable price for a fan.
Thanks! My mechanic sources his parts from Kashmere gate only
Old 25th May 2010, 23:04   #11
BANNED

Hi,
My lancer radiator fan also did not work, So i took to an auto electrician friend, an classmate, he said it might be carbon brush, so i asked him to remove. and since i did not get lancers radiator carbon brush, indica's brush fitted with slight alteration and working fine. The cost was around Rs.180 + Rs.100 labour.

So I advice you to go for an friendly electrician, so that he can make it cheap.

Regards
Rajeev

Old 27th May 2010, 11:10   #12
BHPian

Just to add, I hope you have checked the fuse near the battery in the engine bay and not the ones in the fusebox near the driver side seat. Its a 40A fuse.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

@mohit... Yes, the one behind the battery is a 40 AMP fuse.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:01   #14
BHPian

So it seems that the fan motor has gone kaput. Just for reference, you can check with this guy for FIAT OE spares. He is based in Mumbai and is reliable for all kinds of spares for FIAT vehicles.

The contact detils of KAVA Automobiles in Mumbai is

Landline Numbers: 022 - 23827562 / 23853131 / 23828282

Contact Persons:

Mr.Raj Kava

rajkava at in dot com

rajkava@in.com

and

Mr.Vijay Sheth

vijaysheth03 at rediffmail dot com

vijaysheth03@rediffmail.com

Old 13th August 2019, 18:24   #15
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio 1.2 Radiator Fan Not Working

Hi guys,
I need help in procuring a radiator fan motor for Fiat Palio 1.2 on a somewhat urgent basis.
Is there any option apart from 99rpm. On searching online, it seems there might be an option from Hella. Or any other popular car's motor from some other manufacturer that would fit my car.
This is the third motor that has gone caput in the 1.6L kms that I have driven this car. 2 of them were original while one was procured from the local market which only lasted around 15-20k kms.
The distance between the mounting points is 12.1cm while the dia of the motor is 10cm. The fan is screwed onto the shaft of the motor which is threaded.

Fiat Palio 1.2 Radiator Fan Not Working-img20190813wa0001.jpg

Fiat Palio 1.2 Radiator Fan Not Working-img20190813wa0002.jpg

Fiat Palio 1.2 Radiator Fan Not Working-img20190813wa0000.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks