Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2005, 17:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

pushing the carb zen.

today i drove my carb zen after a gap of several months and i was trying to push it to see what top speed it can achive...and i could take it to 140 kmph max..also it seems to have a wheel alignment problem cos when i brake it hard it pulls to the left side...the car also seems to be revving less freely...i am going to take it for a check up tommorow will proberbly get the carb and the air filter cleaned...what could have gone wrong.? and i am also planning to use a synthetic engine oil..which one is recommended? ..what is the max speed a carb zen can achive?.
Old 21st October 2005, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your brakes are grabbing...thats the reason for the pulling to the left. When was the car last serviced? How many kms has it covered? A normal service and tune up should have things back to normal.

Mobil 1 seems to be the widely recommended brand for synthetic oils.
Top speed of 140 seems correct...but others would know better...as i've never owned the carb zen.

Drifter
Old 21st October 2005, 18:36   #3
BHPian

I guess a carb zen can achieve a top-speed of 150kmph on speedo...coz I've read that the top-speed gain is arnd 8kmph on the mpfi zen than the carb zen...i have touched a max of 155kmph on my mpfi zen and it was still going pretty strong....
guess u should push a little more hard...try after the service!
Old 23rd October 2005, 20:29   #4
BHPian

the reason for ur car pulling 2 one side is worn out brake pads, n not wheel alignment get them changed . about the engine not revving freely, do wat ever drifter had suggested n ur zen will burn the tyres as usual.....
Old 23rd October 2005, 23:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

thank you guys for ur opinions..got the wheel balancing and alignment done today and now it is running like a dream...also got the right side drive shaft replaced..the brakes seems to be working fine..today when i removed the air filter i found that the carb was oily , is this a normal occurance?.
Old 24th October 2005, 02:12   #6
lancer_mania

i got a very stupid question for you gurus.

is the k&n oe replacement filter an oil filter or air filter ? where can i get one for my carb zen ? what would the cost be like ? and what would the changes be ? and how long does it last ?

Rev

Old 24th October 2005, 06:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

@lancer mania - k & N only make air induction systems sa intake systems and air filters ...
Old 24th October 2005, 12:03   #8

hi
the k&n filters r usually for the air intake , u can place a k&n on the carb of ur zen , it wouldnt cost u much becaus u dont have to buy the whole assembly, and that would cost u any where around 3500 to 5500, and they surely improve the performance .
Old 26th October 2005, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

comon experts your opinion needed ...is a oily carburetor normal? i have heard that it is due to compression loss.
Old 26th October 2005, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot
comon experts your opinion needed ...is a oily carburetor normal? i have heard that it is due to compression loss.
You are bang on target, this happens when oil is pushed up from the breather tube on the head cover into the intake just above the carb, key reason for this would be blowby due to weakened rings. However to cross check if this is true you also need to see the base plate of the air filter box for oil.
Old 26th October 2005, 15:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
You are bang on target, this happens when oil is pushed up from the breather tube on the head cover into the intake just above the carb, key reason for this would be blowby due to weakened rings. However to cross check if this is true you also need to see the base plate of the air filter box for oil.
the air filter box itself is little bit oily from inside...when i was cleaning the filter with compressed air some amount of oil came out from the filter also..guess its time to rip the engine apart and change the piston rings.
Old 26th October 2005, 15:22   #12
BANNED

Apart from rings, try replacing the PCV and see of the problem goes away.
Old 2nd November 2005, 16:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

what is the specs of the mobil 1 which can be used in the carb zen..ie the viscosity?? where is it available in mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks