Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 16:08   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off

Hi All

I had bought a Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 LX in September 2007, had faced problems from the very first week I bought the Scorpio.

Please read the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-problems.html on the problems which I faced. This gives only half the problems which I went through owning a scorpio as I have not updated the complete issues.

In December last the final problems I faced was with Brakes. After driving for 30-40 KMs if stop in the signal for few second, on the slightest touch on the pedal, the front brake would lockup and make a screaming noise. After various attempts in the Service Center, the front brake caliper were changed and was told there was no problem with the back brakes. Actually no one knew in the service why it was happening.

Though I was not fully convinced, I kept driving the scorpio only in bangalore city and din't use it for long drive to natives. There was no problems but the brakes never felt right and I had this uncomfortable which I was not able to explain.

Technical everything was right but mind wouldn't accept that everything was right, that strange feeling you have sometime.

In December last week my family had to visit our native and My Dad asked if he can take the scorpio, relectantly I agreed to it. So my Dad, Mom, My 15 month old Son, Maid, Sister, Sisters Kids set off on Tumkur Highway

Got a call at around 12:30 PM from my Dad that he has met with an accident just after the Nelamangala Toll Both. He said everything was fine, no one was hurt and he has not hit any other vehicle but the footpath on the bridge

Reached the spot as quickly as possible and was happy to find everyone safe and unhurt. Now the vehicle and why it happened.

There was a tyre mark from extreme right of the road to the left of the road. Clear indication that the breaks had locked up and dragged for nealy 40 feet. The vehicle hit the footpath build on a bridge and both left wheels went over the footpath which was exactly 30 feet. Height of the footpath was 2 feet. (All measured by the spot inspection guy from insurance compnay).

My Dad said he was at 80 KMPH speed, there was a lorry on the left side which came to right a bit, so he gave slight tough to the brake pedal and the brakes locked up and started dragging the vehicle to left. On left was a 50 feet ditch and a bridge wall and foot path. So he hit the bridge directly and both the vehicle came off and flew away into the ditch and scorpio was only stopped after it hit the mud and dug it self in by 2 feet.

My family was happy that Scorpio saved their life, as any other car would have caused major damage.

My question was, should this accident have had happened in the frist place.

So my family wanted to keep the scorpio and I wanted to sell it off after repairs

Total Repair cost - 1.8 Lakhs

1. Chassis changed
2. 2 Tyres
3. 2 New Wheels
4. Front Left Suspension
5. Back Left Suspension
6. Front Bumper
7. Others

Covered by Insurance 1.25 Lakhs

Finally sold the Scorpio in April. Now the debate has started as to which vehicle should I buy again.

Scorpio again or try Safari

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image032.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image033.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image034.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image035.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image036.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image037.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio Heartburn, Accident & Emotional Send Off-image038.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 17:38   #2
BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident, but happy to hear that all are safe. Well I guess you have the budget to buy Scorpio-Safari kind of vehicles, and then you can definitely consider buying the new Scorpio equipped with ABS.
What you say guys?

Last edited by bblost : 26th May 2010 at 18:04. Reason: font tags removed. please do not copy paste from other editors.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

But what was the problem with the brakes, seems to be some major defect?
Old 26th May 2010, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you consider suing Mahindra for the faulty brakes?

Your father could've been dead.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

You kept the vehicle in that condition for so long, Man! thats crazy.

I think the problem was specific to your vehicle. I have not seen the disc locking up, I have seen drums locking up though.

Anyway since you have sold the vehicle, there is no point giving solutions.

Your next car will be a SUV only?
Old 26th May 2010, 18:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks like a faulty disc brake assembly itself.However wonder why the service center chaps never took the time and trouble to find the root cause.
I had reported a similar issue in the scorp' problems and solutions thread a few days back. But then I never faced it again since the time I reported it on that thread.

Quote:
1. Chassis changed
2. 2 Tyres
3. 2 New Wheels
4. Front Left Suspension
5. Back Left Suspension
6. Front Bumper
7. Others
What about the disc brake assembly ?
Old 26th May 2010, 19:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sorry to hear about your situation. I think you really got unlucky with this vehicle. Since the Scorpio has left a bad taste, maybe you want to consider a Safari for the next vehicle.

Frankly the only reason, I went for the Scorpio was because of better quality control compared to the Safari, and I would be totally disappointed if I my Scorpio becomes problematic.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think this was just a bad piece and not something that is found across the product. Strange that the service center did not understand the criticality of the situation.

Anyway, good to hear the family is fine. The vehicle definitely did its duty.

As for your next vehicle, if you have found the vehicle ride and comfort fine, then you should go for the Scorpio itself. TD the Safari for a comparison and decide.

Just ensure that you have the ABS version regardless of the make.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Just buy an Innova and you've probably bought yourself peace of mind. As of date, the Scorpio or the Safari make sense *only* for the 4x4 they have on offer at the price point.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But what was the problem with the brakes, seems to be some major defect?
Everything was seems to be going wrong with this vehicle apparently, clutch, brakes, vibration, tyres, starter motor & finally brakes. Sometimes I think I was really unlucky, may be Mahindra experimented at my Expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
You kept the vehicle in that condition for so long, Man! thats crazy.
Your next car will be a SUV only?
Not sure why I kept the vehicle so long even after all the problems.

Yes I need a SUV, either Scorpio or Safari as I do a lot of travelling on the highways and use a small car in the city

I am not interested in Innova and Fortunner is out of my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
To me it looks like a faulty disc brake assembly itself.However wonder why the service center chaps never took the time and trouble to find the root cause.
What about the disc brake assembly ?
Sorry forgot to quote, my disc brake assembly was changed after change of caliper din't work. Think the entire braking system was a issue as the body shop manager told me that there was issues with brake and he had overhauled the entire system while changing the chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. I think you really got unlucky with this vehicle. Since the Scorpio has left a bad taste, maybe you want to consider a Safari for the next vehicle
I bought Scorpio since it was better than safari in many terms and ended up getting a lemon I think.

Not sure about Safari, I am TATA employee (not TATA Motors though) and still not convinced to buy Safari. There are 6 company owned Safari in my Company and most of them are in service centers most of the time. There are only 2 or indicas in the entire parking which can hold nearly 200 cars.

Should I still buy Scorpio VLX MT 2WD and expect to be second time lucky?

Regards
Old 26th May 2010, 21:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I bought Scorpio since it was better than safari in many terms and ended up getting a lemon I think.
Should I still buy Scorpio VLX MT 2WD and expect to be second time lucky?
Your earlier Scorpio's story is an extremely rare one, IMO. I have not heard of this experience of brakes locking up, except one case where the ASC guys did not assemble the brake assembly properly, I think.

I feel you could go in for a new Scorpio, and service it at the best Scorpio ASC's in Bangalore (like SKS and the like), I think your beast will be well taken care of, and guzzle miles without much ado
Old 26th May 2010, 22:03   #12
BHPian

How about a second hand CR-V or a Captiva? You would get a CR-V (old gen) for 5-6l, CR-V (new gen) for about 13-16l. A Captiva would also cost you 14-16l. Both are great SUV's. Other option would be a Tuscon for 8-10l.

If it's a new car, I would go for a Scorpio VLX
Old 26th May 2010, 22:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Though i have seen several Scorpios meeting with accidents, those are mainly due to driver errors. I have personally never heard any scorpio owner facing any such issues. Most of them are very happy with their vehicles.

Maybe it was the 1 in a million cases with you. Good that none of your family was hurt.

You can also consider a Xylo, its very comfortable but definitely has more body roll.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:11   #14
BANNED

chandrda,
I am not sure if the uncomfortable feeling of your tires getting locked up will ever go away if there is no ABS. When we react to an impulse, we never know how much pressure we apply, we will need electronics to react much faster and help us retain control. You should certainly consider a vehicle with ABS, and traction control.
-Prasadee
Old 26th May 2010, 22:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats really bad. But the good thing is nothing bad happened to your family. The car bore the brunt. I feel you should do justice to the car's family and by an mhawk this time. No, seriously I would for another one with ABS and other safety features of course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks