Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Vibrations in Corolla

Description of problem/s:

1. When 1st gear is engaged and let the clutch pedal loose, the car shudders. If I revv to 1000+ RPM, then there is no vibration and car moves as usual.

2. When in neutral, if I keep my foot on the clutch pedal and press it to about 10% down, I can feel vibration

3. When I take turn the car extreme left/right (while making my way in the basement), I can feel the wheel getting stuck/tight. If I let go, then it is fine. The disk feel very hot.

4. When I floored the accelerator, the car used to 'take off', now i see a delay in the response i get. Once it is there, it flies.

What has been done:

1. Pads are new
2. Clutch plates are new. Clutch bearings and flywheel was not changed
3. mountings were assessed to be good
4. throttle body cleaning was done
5. Front shocks are new

Toyota says change change clutch kit, flywheel everything!
Local mechanics giving multiple reasons
I dont mind taking a day off and sitting with the mechanic, but need help with where to start and what to investigate?
Old 30th May 2010, 12:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejai View Post

1. When 1st gear is engaged and let the clutch pedal loose, the car shudders. If I revv to 1000+ RPM, then there is no vibration and car moves as usual.

2. When in neutral, if I keep my foot on the clutch pedal and press it to about 10% down, I can feel vibration

3. When I take turn the car extreme left/right (while making my way in the basement), I can feel the wheel getting stuck/tight. If I let go, then it is fine. The disk feel very hot.

4. When I floored the accelerator, the car used to 'take off', now i see a delay in the response i get. Once it is there, it flies.

What has been done:

1. Pads are new
2. Clutch plates are new. Clutch bearings and flywheel was not changed
5. Front shocks are new

I dont mind taking a day off and sitting with the mechanic, but need help with where to start and what to investigate?
Mind you, this could be something as simple as a clutch and brake adjustment.

If adjustments are in line with specs, I'd suspect the clutch pressure plate (explains the judder when operating the clutch). A weak pressure plate can lead to the clutch slipping which explains the lack of pickup and delayed response. You have one or more wheels with sticking brakes another reason for poor pickup.

I am curious to know where you got this work done from. Was it the ASC or elsewhere?

The ASC should have checked all the calipers when changing the pads (I assume front brakes) and the pressure plate assembly when replacing the clutch. If these jobs are recent i.e. done within a month back, I'd take the car back to them and ask for an explanation on why they have done a shoddy job.

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2010, 14:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you started seeing this just after the adjustments, its the brake adjustment, usually the front discs, do a simple test, after a short drive of 7-10kms, park your vehicle and cautiously touch the wheel rims in the front (or back).

If its hot (i.e. you can't keep your hand on it for more than a sec or 2), brakes are the culprit. Ideally rims should get warm but not hot.
Old 30th May 2010, 18:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestions in line in italics

Quote:

1. When 1st gear is engaged and let the clutch pedal loose, the car shudders. If I revv to 1000+ RPM, then there is no vibration and car moves as usual - how many kms has the car done after the last clutch&pressure plate replacement?

2. When in neutral, if I keep my foot on the clutch pedal and press it to about 10% down, I can feel vibration - it could be that the pressure plate is packing up

3. When I take turn the car extreme left/right (while making my way in the basement), I can feel the wheel getting stuck/tight. If I let go, then it is fine. The disk feel very hot. - please test it this way - drive for 10 mins on a straight road,using brakes in between - touch all 4 wheels after you stop - see if any wheel feels hotter than the rest.If both fronts OR both rears feel equally hot,no problems.If left feels hotter than right,there is a problem there

4. When I floored the accelerator, the car used to 'take off', now i see a delay in the response i get. Once it is there, it flies - do you feel some kind of jerk before it sets off?If yes, please get your injectors cleaned and then see.

What has been done:

1. Pads are new
2. Clutch plates are new. Clutch bearings and flywheel was not changed-it is recommended to change clutch bearing whenever clutch is replaced
5. Front shocks are new

Old 30th May 2010, 19:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Likely to be a worn clutch release bearing or worn out (unbalanced) flywheel. Could also be because of jamming brakes, though it shouldn't vibrate as you describe in point #2 in that case. When you had the clutch job done, did you have the flywheel machined and faced?

Quote:
Usually due to brake pads jamming, or a problem with the driveshaft. Any noise from the driveshaft on full lock turns?

Quote:
More likely to be a clutch issue than a brake issue - but check disc temperature as dadu described. With a jamming brake the 'take off' part won't be there - the car should feel heavy and sluggish all the way.

IMO there's an issue with the workmanship when the clutch (friction) plate was changed.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:36   #6
BHPian

Your clutch seems misaligned a little. It is called clutch judder. Normally an alignment tool is used to align the clutch exactly with the flywheel. If that is not done, or done improperly, this is what happens. Also, expect some judder if your clutch is aftermarket. If your clutch is stock, give it some time - around 500 kms & then check again. Also, what is your cars milage? If you have done lots of kilometers, i also suggest that you get the bearings & flywheel changed.

Last edited by 1self : 30th May 2010 at 21:38.
Old 1st June 2010, 19:31   #7
BHPian

Thank you all for the help.

I started with a break inspection and overhauling. It was identified that the break cylinder was jammed. Got this rectified and break oil changed. There is an improvement in the 'free glide' movement.

The vibration on the clutch pedal is there. The mechanic said it is because of worn out clutch bearings and not much can be done right now. The mountings were again checked and they are good.

I changed the tyres about 6 months ago to 205/65/R15. Not sure if this has anything to do with the vibrations.

BTW, the injector cleaning was done recently. The flywheel was skimmed when clutch kit was being installed. I personally saw this done.

Last edited by weejai : 1st June 2010 at 19:33. Reason: additional points to include in the same message
Old 1st June 2010, 20:58   #8
BHPian

BTW, the injector cleaning was done recently. The flywheel was skimmed when clutch kit was being installed. I personally saw this done.[/quote]

I feel the main culprit is your fly wheel. why did you skim it. did it had any scares. did you run the car until clutch plate rivits scarped the fly wheel. replace fly wheel, realizer bearing(see that bearing seating is proper) and cable. this should solve the problem. hoping pressure plate is OK.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I started with a break inspection and overhauling. It was identified that the break cylinder was jammed. Got this rectified and break oil changed. There is an improvement in the 'free glide' movement.
Now that the wheel cylinder's been changed, do you get this any more?...
Quote:
...feel the wheel getting stuck/tight. If I let go, then it is fine. The disk feel very hot.
Quote:
The vibration on the clutch pedal is there. The mechanic said it is because of worn out clutch bearings and not much can be done right now. The mountings were again checked and they are good.

I changed the tyres about 6 months ago to 205/65/R15. Not sure if this has anything to do with the vibrations.
Get the bearings changed at your convenience, without waiting for them to fail completely and leave you with a jammed clutch. Tyres won't contribute to the vibrations you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
I feel the main culprit is your fly wheel. why did you skim it. did it had any scares. did you run the car until clutch plate rivits scarped the fly wheel. replace fly wheel, realizer bearing(see that bearing seating is proper) and cable. this should solve the problem. hoping pressure plate is OK.
It's standard operating procedure to face the flywheel when a clutch overhaul is done. Nothing wrong in it.

What's a "realizer bearing"? And AFAIK, the Corolla has a hydraulic clutch, no cables there.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st June 2010 at 22:46.
Old 3rd June 2010, 05:15   #10
BHPian

What's a "realizer bearing"? And AFAIK, the Corolla has a hydraulic clutch, no cables there.[/quote]

I guess what he meant was 'release' bearing.

Even hydraulic clutch cars have cables running from the passenger compartment to the clutch master & slave cylinders.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:38   #11
BHPian

Re: Vibrations in Corolla

Hi Team; i have a 4yr(approx) old Corolla with about 17000km on the ODO. So far, it has been driven most of the time by the company drivers who tend to change after a regular interval of time.

I am noticing vibrations in the car, coming up to the steering and the front driver & passenger seats also.

This is happening around the time that iam reaching around 1500-1800 rpm and shfting from the 3rd gear to the 4th. Speed is around 40kmph at this time. Once past the 45-50kmph mark, the vibrations stop. The clutch, gearbox is also very hard. Can someone please tell me what could be the issue? Yet to show it to the ASC.

Thanks!
Varun
Old 4th January 2011, 21:10   #12
BHPian

1) Weejel,
Why don’t you check M/cylinder & wheel cylinder condition, replace new brake fluid to the cylinders .this may make sticky brakes free.
2)Misguidedmisile,
Go for wheel alignment and proper wheel balancing . Check the tie rod ends life of steering box. Alignment person can do this job.
Old 4th January 2011, 22:04   #13
AWD
BHPian

The tyre size you are using is not the ideal upsize, rather bad for suspension setup. After playing around with a no. of sizes, Im back to 195/60/15.

Get the basic wheel balancing, Alignment right, things may get better. My car used to vibrate a lot, balancing & alignment took care of it.
Old 4th January 2011, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

my take would be clutch releasing bearing.

ALso a small mistake can be attributed to this situation. If the clutch is not bolted properly on the flywheel, this kind of jitter is experienced.
Old 15th November 2015, 15:09   #15

Hello Everyone.

I am facing a somewhat similar problem. I currently own a 2010 Corolla Altis petrol which i picked from a friend very recently. I changed the entire suspension setup , front shocks and the clutch plates, pressure plates and the clutch bearings after the purchase. Now this is the first time I have owned a Toyota vehicle and i believe each car behaves differently so it did not strike me at first till I came across this post. So here goes - Ideally when a vehicle is in first gear and the clutch is released even without pressing the throttle the car should start moving. That is how I am used to get my cars moving from stagnation. However with the Corolla I realized that you have to press the throttle slightly otherwise there is a lot of vibration and this gets really problematic in bumper to bumper traffic. I got the throttle body cleaned but to no avail. What else can I do top get this fixed.

Also one more issue that I face is that ideally when we press the clutch pedal the tacho should drop immediately. However i feel in my car it kind of keeps rising for a nano second and then drops on leaving the throttle and pressing the clutch.
Besides these minor niggles the car runs perfectly smooth and I have not noticed any issues with the pick up or any other aspect of the vehicle.

Would request your help in troubleshooting this problem.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks