Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 17:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Getting the sound since 2004.
Relax now. Perfectly normal

P.S. The same sound is more pronounced in case of home window ACs.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:55   #17
BHPian

I have a two week old Ritz VXi ( May 2010 ) model. I get the hissing and groaning sound when AC is turned on as well. Sounds terrible. Should this be rectified.
Also tonight the a/c relay makes a tick sound every 10- 15 secs, which can be heard inside the cabin. Very annoying and want this to be rectified by MUL.
On checking with the bonnet open, every time the tick sound comes , the engine alternates like having the ac switched on and off. What could be the problem?

It cant be the thermostat, as the relay sound occurs every few seconds.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:08   #18
BHPian

Seems to be a common problem with Maruti's cars. I have the same problem with my alto, I am not sure if "hissing" is what the sound is, but i think i know what you guys are talking about. My alto emits some weird sound when i switch on the ac for the first time on any given day. At first i thought it had something to do with my dad's wreck-less maintenance of the car, but now I know it is not.
Old 30th June 2010, 10:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if you are reffering to the AC condenser fan sound, the moment you switch on the AC your cars engine has a sudden load, due to this the RPM increases, it can be due to this the third issue is the AC compresser belt loosing tension, you will hear a hissing sound if its just a minute tension loss, but soon this will convert to a squeeling sound as the belt looses further tension.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th June 2010 at 10:35.
Old 1st July 2010, 02:11   #20
BHPian

guys all your cars are fine!!

first of all the click or the metallic thud is the magnetic coil being activated thereby connecting the compressor to the pulley activating the compressor.

Now the hiss that you hear when you first start up is the gas getting pressurized after the expansion valve. if the hiss is too loud then the system is low on freon. and in todays cars most systems have sensors that automatically disable the compressor when the gas is low.

@lemon the clicking sounds you hear intermittently is the relay and the magnetic coil in the compressor working together. you are actually hearing the compressor switching on and off. its good your car does that. in some cars you can adjust the timing.

Gentlemen, a small piece of advice i have for all of you is that if you have any issues with your car AC go to your respective A.S.C. (unless you know a trusted AC mechanic, like i do)

Last edited by msaudf : 1st July 2010 at 02:21. Reason: spaces
Old 5th August 2010, 20:09   #21
BANNED

The sound seems to be very less, since now the weather has changed in Delhi. My car was always parked in sun, could this be the reason for high noise while switching the AC ? I mean may be the change in temperature of the gas is causing the noise. I am no expert but just a guess. Also the Ac gas pressure in my car ( Ritz ZXI) is 350 psi, per the MASS.
Did anyone make some headway on this ?

Last edited by del.guy22 : 5th August 2010 at 20:09. Reason: Formatting
Old 5th August 2010, 20:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have this problem since four tofive months. Initially I thought this as the interference on the audio. Then I noticed that it is heard even if the audio is Off.
Funny thing is it happens only when the AC is switched ON for a half minute or so. A felt as a gas leak but the AC is worked very fine in the Kerala (High Humidity) summer also.
During my last visit to a MASS couple of days back the problem was indicated to the service advisor who could not give me a satisfactory reply. There I noticed that the sound comes from the front, from behind the grill. The sound is a hissing one.

No other symptoms precipitated for the last 4 to 5 months.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by del.guy22 View Post
The sound seems to be very less, since now the weather has changed in Delhi. My car was always parked in sun, could this be the reason for high noise while switching the AC ? I mean may be the change in temperature of the gas is causing the noise. I am no expert but just a guess. Also the Ac gas pressure in my car ( Ritz ZXI) is 350 psi, per the MASS.
Did anyone make some headway on this ?

Get it checked ASAP, as your car is still under warranty.

350psi at what temperature. As refrigerant pressure is dependent on temperature.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:32   #24
BANNED

Hi SirAlec,

Some at Teambhp say the sound is okay, its the gas passing through exhaust valve, I am not sure what it is. I had filled an Technical inquiry at Maruti's website and then got a call from dealer who serviced my car twice ( first two free services), he said they will take the car, keep it overnight and check it. I got a call from them today, that everything is fine and they have checked the AC thoroughly and the sound is not present. He said that they have refilled the gas and the pressure was 350 psi and everything is ok. I am not sure about the temperature and not sure how they took out thge old gas and filled same gas back. I have never seen refilling of AC gas before and hence my knowledge about this is extrmely poor. The sound was never there in winters, started coming in summers, is loud when the temparaure is high and the car has been parked in sun for quite a while, sound is low when the temperature is low like nowdays.

Hoping if someone can help here or Does someone know a good AC mechanic or MASS in North Delhi.

Last edited by del.guy22 : 5th August 2010 at 21:33. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:58   #25

Re: Strange Sound while switching The Car A/C

Spot on ! when a system is low on gas, this sping cn be heard
Old 26th July 2012, 09:39   #26
BHPian

Hissing sound surely means less Gas than prescribed. It can be due to not enough Gas in system or loss due to leakages. If the sound was not previously there and now started it means leakage.

Do get your system tested for leakage. testing is easier part but if the leakage is detected, locating leakage and getting it corrected is time consuming and tedious as many times you need to dismantle the dashboard to rectify. it takes almost 3/4 days to do it all.
Old 8th October 2016, 21:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

The AC of Xylo E8 ABS that has run 271K kms is making hissing sound lasting for 8-10 secs every time the AC Clutch gets engaged. Also the cooling is not good.
Is it due to low gas or some other reason?

How to identify when the Condenser and Evaporator are culprit? What are symptoms of same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks