Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 15:37   #1
BHPian

REVOLO – Ready To Fit Hybrid Technology

Bharat Forge Ltd. & KPIT Cummins have announced a joint venture 4th June 2010, at Delhi for providing ready to deploy Hybrid technology solution to be fitted in Indian automobiles. The system is known as REVOLO – Revolutionary Solution for converting any car from 800 CC to 3000 CC into a parallel hybrid without tampering with the transmission of the car.

Linky : KPIT Cummins & Bharat Forge Launch REVOLO Hybrid Car Kit
sreedotk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2010, 16:23   #2
BANNED

Wow, this is great news. Moreover being developed by well known companies only means that it would have been sufficiently tested and the ARAI certification means that it is homologated as well.

Glued to this thread for more info.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fuel Efficiency Improvements of over 40 % as tested by ARAI
ARAI tested! This definitely adds some credibility to the claims. However, if ARAI says 40%, that's in ideal conditions.

Quote:
The solution is a Full Parallel Plug-in Hybrid, which means that the engine and motor will always run simultaneously and give the required boost and fuel efficiency. Plug-in means that you can connect it to the normal electrical power supply at home and charge the batteries. This means a significant reduction in running cost because the batteries are not charged by burning petrol or diesel.
The single largest restrictor! Plug-in hybrid? Not everyone has a power socket available at their parking spot. I guess this is a very basic hybrid implementation, compared to the Prius (and other cars) that charge "on the go".

On first impression, it looks promising enough. Concerned about the battery weight though. 140 kilos is effectively increasing the weight of a Maruti 800 by 20%. The Prius' battery, on the other hand, weighs like 50 kilos!

Whats the exact pricing like?
Old 8th June 2010, 14:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good innovation, will improve over time.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:50   #5
BHPian

Price announced in the same link was The Price of REVOLO will be between Rs. 65,000 and Rs. 1,50,000 for various car segments.

Need to wait until end of the year if some manufacturers get hooked on it.

If for eg it increased the cost by 65,000 for an Alto, A-star or Wagon R. I am sure there will be some takers if the mileage goes up by 3- 4 kms per litre.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic concept...

140 kg batteries in your average car = No boot.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:52   #7

I am seriosly doubting that article...come on guys!!! we can't believe everything we are reading
Old 8th June 2010, 17:38   #8
BHPian

Here are a few More links in case it helps

http://www.kpitcummins.com/downloads...10%20Final.pdf

http://www.bharatforge.com/Press%20R...0%20Sarita.pdf

Both the links actually show the same Press release. Since there was a doubt on the article i am linking press releases from the protagonists.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:46   #9
BHPian

How can they use regenerative braking without replacing stock brakes with hub motors? Seems too good to be true, otherwise impressive and should be the innovation of the decade!
Old 8th June 2010, 19:10   #10
BHPian

I think in the present model it is a plugin Hybrid(i.e charge the battery and it helps in running of the car; battery down run on petrol). It would depend on the end user Carmaker to incorporate the regenerative system.

I am just Speculating since i did not read anything on the regeneration part
Old 9th June 2010, 12:47   #11
BHPian

Great technological induction into aftermarket car upgrades and surely quite a fascinating one.

As far their plans for getting them fitted in the cars before they come on roads, if it goes well, it sure will see a surge in hybrid technology cars.

You will see another variant attached to every car available in India like:

Marurti: HXi
Hyundai: HLS
GM: HTZ and so on
Old 9th June 2010, 13:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdisdesi View Post
I am seriosly doubting that article...come on guys!!! we can't believe everything we are reading
Whats the part that you are finding hard to swallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
How can they use regenerative braking without replacing stock brakes with hub motors? Seems too good to be true, otherwise impressive and should be the innovation of the decade!
Seems like they might be using the crank-attached motor to regenerate power during engine braking ? (This is my guess, haven't researched it much).

Also it could be something like THIS

cya
R

PS - Does anyone have specs on the electric motors being used in these kits?
Old 9th June 2010, 14:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

In my place the aftermarket LPG kits were an instant hit for cars like 800,alto,santro, wagon R, matiz, esteem, baleno, swift etc..

Even though the LPG kits were highly unreliable, reduced pick up/power considerably and were priced at 25,000 (10-15% of an 800's on road price) the ONLY factor that made them sell like hot cakes was the improved cost efficiency.

As long as this hybrid technology does what it claims - practically, I guess people, atleast in my place, would definitely run for it, however crude/unreliable the technology is.

but then, I hope this works out well as it is one of the best things we could implement immediately/practically in INDIA to save oil.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:11   #14
BHPian

KPIT & Bharat Forge indeed to develop a hybrid solution - Revolo

- KPIT Cummins has filed 11 patents for Revolo.

- It can be fitted onto any engine between 800 CC to 3000 CC including cars, trucks - diesel and petrol vehicles.

- The batteries used in the solution can be charged from a standard external electricity source such as a domestic power outlet.

- This is a Parallel hybrid solution which means the motor and engine work simultaneously at all times. At no point in time will the vehicle work like an
electric vehicle only and hence will continue to operate as a conventional fuel vehicle if the batteries are fully discharged.

- The batteries will be recharged through opportunity based regeneration and regenerative braking thereby enhancing the range per charge.

- The solution also has in-built intelligence which recognizes driving patterns and self adjusts to provide optimum efficiency.

Old 10th June 2010, 14:18   #15
BHPian

Congrats to Bforge and KPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Bharat Forge Ltd. & KPIT Cummins have announced a joint venture 4th June 2010, at Delhi for providing ready to deploy Hybrid technology solution to be fitted in Indian automobiles. The system is known as REVOLO – Revolutionary Solution for converting any car from 800 CC to 3000 CC into a parallel hybrid without tampering with the transmission of the car.

Linky : KPIT Cummins & Bharat Forge Launch REVOLO Hybrid Car Kit
Amazing product. If it works as claimed, this would turn out to be a revolutionary product in world automotive scene with a "Made in India" badge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks