Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 14:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can cars 'self heal'?

Now I know that's theoretically not possible (or maybe it is), but I have come across many instances on this forum and in the offline world where issues get fixed 'on their own' without any explanation

Examples

1. AC blows hot air one day. The next day everything is fine and the issue does not pop up again.
2. Brakes. Feel weird and spongy at times, but feel perfectly alright the next day
3. Car drives sluggishly on certain days as if its sick. Start it again in the night and it revs freely and all eager to run.
4. Random sounds that are heard consistently for a few days and then disappear.

I had two issues on my 800 in the recent past. A squeaking sound from the front right (near the wheel) and a mild tapping noise from the rear left side. Now both the issues have completely disappeared! I am not sure what happened here, but I hope I am not looking at a catastrophic failure sometime in the future.

Please post other instances where cars 'healed themselves' or rather appeared to. And technical explanations on what really could have happened would be greatly appreciated too.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh!!! Yes Gilead, I've two such instances.
My car was switching off when the head lights are turned ON sometimes during March. Initially all of us thought it was wiring issue, but then the problem never happened without even having to check the electricals. Here's the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ff-engine.html

About a month ago, we made a trip to Erode & at one of the toll, I switched off my engine during payment. When I tried starting, absolutely nothing happened, means, not even a single crank, no sound, absolute silence. Imagine as if the battery is not there in the car when the keys are turned ON. So I thought this was a loose contact on the battery terminal & opened up the bonnet to check & I found everything is fine; note that I didn't even touch anything. Now I came back to push the car to leave way for others & on a hunch I gave another attempt, boom the car started & till date it runs fine.

I know there's some electrical fault somewhere, hope it doesn't burst to flames one day.

Last edited by aargee : 10th June 2010 at 14:59.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

One fine day my Swifty refused to start. For next 20 min i was continously cranking - but it never budged. I opened the bonnet (like in most films, when car stops suddenly, driver/hero will open the bonnet and say no fuel ) I dont know what to see or what to do !!! Starred and closed it. Went to nair shop had hot chai + samosa and came back and Cranked..whoa..started!! Noone know why it happened, but actually no one bothered, because it 'self-healed'
Old 10th June 2010, 15:05   #4
BHPian

Ok, heres my story. I had this instance about 4 years back. One fine day when me and my family where planning for a one day trip. When we got into the car and cranked it. It started, revved up to 1500rpm and then suddenly stalled. I tried cranking it a couple more times. Then opened up the bonnet and removed the battery lead to reset the ECU. After 15 mins or so I tried again. And this happened the next month I got my car. Screwed up like anything and seeing all those angry faces of my parents and cousin, I called up the service center guys. They told in one shot, its the battery. I asked them then why the car should rev up to 1500 rpm and then stop. They had no reply. After an hour they came to my home and tried with a different battery. Again nothing happened. Finally they gave up and re fixed my old battery and told me that they will tow the car to the service center the next morning. I told fine, what else can I. The next morning, I just decided to give a try and gave her a shot. It started normally as if nothing had happened the previous day. Never had that problem from then. Don't know who did the magic to her overnight.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

aargee, mi10, i have had the exact same issue in my 800. Just once though. I came out of a shop and cranked the engine. Only a click sound. Tried again and yet another click. I also opened the bonnet and stared at the engine bay for a while as if I knew what to look for. The battery connections looked okay. Tried again and it started. I have never faced that issue again in about 4 years now. I figure it was some issue with the starter motor but I have no idea what.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Overheated starter motor solenoid creates such incidents.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hell yeah, I think they can

I have also had such instances wherein the car would not start. It would crank, all the lights etc would work but then the engine won't start. And then after half an hour of trying to find the reason in vain, it finally starts. Such episodes had happened a few times but I finally discovered the cause accidently (explained at end of post).

Just yesterday, the blower in my car suddenly stopped working, & then after about 5 minutes when I tried again, voila!

Just like the thread starter mentioned, I also feel that at times the car doesn't respond well & then on some ocassions it feels as if it can put most of the other cars out there to shame.

But on a factual note, in the peculiar problem of starting that I had faced, all the things used to work in the car but those lights that come on the console just before you turn the key to crank were not coming. The problem was due to loose connections. There is some sort of bundle of wires that goes under or around the steering column to connect to the key-hole (ignition switch) where we put our keys to start the car. Now, I had once removed a part of my Alto's dashboard for cleaning & that's when this problem happened. But since I had removed a lot of things, I saw this bundle hanging there & fiddled with it. I could see that at times those lights would come back on the instrument console & then go away. Finally took it to MASS who then tightened the clamp or whatever.

Thanks.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 10th June 2010 at 15:21.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it can.*

*: Provided the vehicle is built by DC, is called Tarzan, has a Tarzan toy hanging from the ORVM and acts in the movies.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:41   #9
BHPian

I had the same issue on my Esteem. The problem by the end of the troubleshooting was the Central Locking which disables the engine. you lock the car and unlock it again and there it goes as good as always.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:25   #10
BHPian

To be honest, I love and loathe such self healing ,
I love because your problem is solved for that moment,
And loathe because you can never explain what happened so that you can get a permanent fix and I am the types who will be paranoid of reoccurence till the issue is identified and resolved.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Well this happens a lot with computers - why not cars.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
AC blows hot air one day. The next day everything is fine and the issue does not pop up again.
Exact same thing happened in my Zen. Magically self healed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
hope it doesn't burst to flames one day.
Is it a Nano ?
Old 10th June 2010, 18:13   #13
BHPian

Yes happens with my car too, I posted a video here of my car with unusual clutch sound coming from gear box side which would increase on revving and after few days it disappeared and since then never had that problem. Also the clutch was bit tight, now it has become soft again. So 2 problems healed itself.
And #3 is something I am amused with, sometimes car feels tired and don't rev freely but some days it runs like a rocket. I feel it has something to do with weather. Car runs really good with lot more torque (less gear shift) when it has just rained a bit and weather is cold (due to cold air?)
Old 10th June 2010, 19:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Yes happens with my car too, I posted a video here of my car with unusual clutch sound coming from gear box side which would increase on revving and after few days it disappeared and since then never had that problem. Also the clutch was bit tight, now it has become soft again. So 2 problems healed itself.
And #3 is something I am amused with, sometimes car feels tired and don't rev freely but some days it runs like a rocket. I feel it has something to do with weather. Car runs really good with lot more torque (less gear shift) when it has just rained a bit and weather is cold (due to cold air?)
Probably its the cold air thats helping. I have experienced the same with the cars I've drove, especially the petrols.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:33   #15
BHPian

As observed: given the car for repairs, at known local work shop. It can be engine rebuild or suspension overhaul . Any sound or driving not to your comfort , you complain it to the mechanic reply will be keep using the car it will become alright. Some times it does become all right. don’t ask me how. (baghta baghta barober hotha hi. Hindi version )

Most Viewed