Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 20:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

TATA nano - List of ALL issues

All nano owners and friends of nano owners. Please post your experiences (issues especially) with your nano's. To begin with...

1) Starter motor Solenoid:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1927258-post17.html

Starter motor getting power even after cranking the engine - leading to smoke without fire. Resolved in a few days and car good as new.

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1923871-post92.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1931025-post96.html

Related to (1) - but no crank sound at times. Yet to rectify since its rare.

(3) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1933773-post100.html

Fuel pipe replaced by the T@$$ themselves when I drove my car in for the 2nd service. Mostly it was of a faulty design??
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 00:14   #2
BHPian

Issues I had with my nano

This is a list of problems I faced with my Nano.

1. The combination switch had to be replaced because the Headlight Dim switch started malfunctioning.

2. Starter motor behaved as if there was a loose contact. Occasionally the motor wouldn't crank when the ignition switch was turned. When the failure frequency increased, the TASS either replaced or serviced the starter motor through Lucas-TVS. They never gave me a straight answer.

3. Starter motor burnt off due to a malfunctioning solenoid and was replaced.

4. Door closing problem. This as far as I'm concerned is the most vexing issue and has not yet been resolved satisfactorily.
All my doors need to be banged to close. I have repeatedly brought this to the notice of my TASS. Initially they glossed over it saying that it quite normal. But when I made them compare it with the other Nanos they had to accept the issue. Still it needed a direction from superiors at Tata Motors, Chennai (to whom I complained) to get them to attend to it and still they couldn't satisfactorily correct it.
kollamraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 07:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Kollamraja & Santosh, this is a good initiative. I am looking at buying a Nano myself, so this thread will help potential buyers like me !

Just one doubt. Are the starter motor solenoid incidents (referred to in the 2 posts above) one and the same incident? From the looks of it above, it sounds as if 2 nanos had this problem ?

Regards
Old 14th June 2010, 08:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

A question to Nano owners,especially North India One's

It has an Air cooled engine,doest it perform normally with AC,when temperature's go as high as 45 degress?
Old 14th June 2010, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Are the starter motor solenoid incidents (referred to in the 2 posts above) one and the same incident? From the looks of it above, it sounds as if 2 nanos had this problem ?
Regards
Sorry about the ambiguity, mooza. Both posts refer to my Nano. In addition to the solenoid, atleast some Nanos seem to have the 'loose contact' type of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It has an Air cooled engine,doest it perform normally with AC,when temperature's go as high as 45 degress?
I'm from the South. As you can see in the pics here, the Nano could chill to 24.3 deg C when the outside was 39.1 deg C
Incidentally, I've measured the temp at delivery point as 10.3 deg C
Old 14th June 2010, 13:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a water cooled engine boss.
Had it been an aircooled engine, it might have been even cheaper. But I still wonder why it was not air-cooled. It is more or less like 2 RE bullet engine (in terms of engine capacity) on the same shaft.
-Ilango
Old 14th June 2010, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, it does not. nano has a water cooled engine. Pic attached. You can see the radiator and coolant overflow tank.

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-100_2281.jpg

More pics here.
Link

To answer your question - The engine is perfectly OK in Chennai conditions. I was there on 4th and 5th of this month, Chennai was around 39-40'C and the AC cooled quickly and stayed like that, and engine did not overheat.

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th June 2010 at 14:34.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I had the fortune of driving my Nano from Mumbai to Delhi via rajasthan. The Airconditioner was satisfactory and kept 2 people comfortable all day.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

2 more (pen it down before I forget them)

1) Horn needs some more muscle. It fades away after 4-5 Secs of continuous usage. The already 'peep peep' goes 'peau--eep', sorry cant write sounds

2) The AC Pre-tensioner belt needs some attention. It takes 2-3Secs before the compressor kicks in. When it does - it is very audible since the belt is so loose!!! Got it fixed in 2nd service, and now OK.

Last edited by svsantosh : 21st June 2010 at 13:05.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:13   #10
BHPian

I have so far faced only one issue with my Nano :
  • The turn indicator malfunctions sometime. It does not 'cancel' itself even after turn is complete. I have to manually do it. Will get it rectified in my next visit to service centre.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nano has a liquid cooled engine as seen in the pictures.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:44   #12
BHPian

I am K. Mohanan from Kochi, Kerala. Got delivery of Nano LX in March, 2010. So far I have
covered more than 7000 kms. The complaints I encountered are given below.
1. Horn stopped working. Tata Service centre checked and told me that the horn is faulty and need replacement. It was not available readily with them. I had to run my car 'hornless' for two weeks in city !!!!! Then when the horn has come, I took my vehicle to the service centre. The mechanic who came to accept my jobwork just tried to remove and reconnect the electrical connector to the horn and the horn started working fine !!!
So far no problem. Nobody answered for my painful 'hornless' two weeks driving....
2. Be very very careful, my friends. There is a blind zone on the right side corner glass
area. When you take a right turn, you may see a car, but you may miss a two wheeler !!! Very dangerous. Be careful.
3. After about 5000 kms running, the starter gave trouble. 3-4 times, it did not start. only a feeble 'click' 'click' sound. If I try again i starts. Since it is likely to out me into
trouble in night drives, I took the car to the service centre. They told that some nanos are showing this complaint and the starter motor needs to re replaced. As usual, the item is not readily available, it has to come from the company. For the last one week, my car is with the service centre and I am suffering with bus journeys.
4. There is a slider on the dash board for selecting either the air recirculation mode or the fresh air mode while using AC. This slider is a plastic one which broke from inside two times. TATA replaced is free of cost first time. Second time, as mentioned in the above point, the car is in the service station. I do not know whether tata will do it free since it is a plastic part.
5. When TATA replaced the slider switch, first time and gave back to me, the AC air flow has drastically reduced. I felt that the some air pipe must have got disconnected inside the AC blower. So, fan speeds 1, 2 and 3 increases the sound of the fan, but quantity of air do not increase. In the current service, I complained this also. The service advisor told they have opened the dash board and checking the blower pipes.
6. Regarding the complaint (raised by one person above) of 'indicator switch lever not automatically returning' after the turn is over : This problem I also faced. I had to manually do it. But, I think, this is because the curve was too small for the auto return to work. In bigger curves, it works.
7. To sum up, My dear friends....... I like the car very much. It is cute, fast and beautiful. Thanks to tata, but service centres are not upto the expectations.
I am very particular to keep my car very clean and use all WHITE TURKEY seat covers stiched for nano (all my previous cars also), but due to the regular trips to the service centre and there below average work (seat covers get dirty etc), I am not able to keep my car clean WHITE like my previous cars.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Mohanan, a nice and frank review !

However, I am yet waiting for full fledged ownership reviews for the Nano on Team BHP. I am sure at least a couple of Nanos would be nearing the 10k kms mark, so a stage by stage review (as was being so nicely done by the late Trrk sir for his Manza) would be most welcome.

Also, since the car looks really nice, Nano owners with pics of this "cute ladybird" would have enough reason to start a separate thread for colourful photographs
Old 17th August 2010, 16:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
2. Be very very careful, my friends. There is a blind zone on the right side corner glass
area. When you take a right turn, you may see a car, but you may miss a two wheeler !!! Very dangerous. Be careful.
3. After about 5000 kms running, the starter gave trouble. 3-4 times, it did not start. only a feeble 'click' 'click' sound. If I try again i starts.
4. There is a slider on the dash board for selecting either the air recirculation mode or the fresh air mode while using AC. This slider is a plastic one which broke from inside two times.
5...... I felt that the some air pipe must have got disconnected inside the AC blower. So, fan speeds 1, 2 and 3 increases the sound of the fan, but quantity of air do not increase....
Hi Mr.Mohanan,

I'm Raja from Kollam and I got delivery of my Nano CX in March 2010. Done a little over 4100 kms so far. I luv my Nano. We seem to have faced similar issues though.

The blind spot: The pillars on either side of the front wind screen ( I think they call it the A-Pillar) are killers. While crossing an intersection or turning into a road, they almost completely obstruct your view. After initial near-misses, I quickly trained myself to check traffic through both my front door glasses.

Starter Motor:My starter motor got burnt a few days after it showed signs of 'missing' just are you are experiencing now. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1927258

A/c circulation selector: I use it very sparingly so haven't given it a chance to break. But twice-in-a-row must take some doing

A/c filter: At around 4000 KMs I felt the a/c blower was weak and got it checked. The mechanic tells me that the filter was clogged with dust. After tolerating the sluggish blower for a few weeks, now the blower feels like gale-force even at level 1. I hope the fellow didn't forget to put back the cleaned filter!

I'd like yours as well as other Nano users' opinion on the Nano's ride comfort. Personally I think its the Nano's weak spot. Travelling even over moderately rough roads is quite jarring, especially if you are travelling alone or with just one passanger. And my town seems to have only rough roads, including the NH 47. I'm not a techie, so I can only say that the suspension is not good enough and the small wheels only compound the problem. The seats too could do with more cushioning.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
@Mohanan, a nice and frank review !

However, I am yet waiting for full fledged ownership reviews for the Nano on Team BHP.
This post of mine may interest you http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1935799

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks