Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 15:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair Timing belt / chain question

My 5.9 year Ford Ikon will undergo a major suspension overhaul and tyre change this week. I am also trying to get some info on the interval for the timing belt change but could not come up with anything. My car has 52K kms and I plan to use it for at least another year before I change it.

So could the gurus advise me on the things to look for or change, for another year or so of trouble free service. I am particularly concerned about the timing belt and want to change it but am unable to get too much info about the interval or the distance covered before it has to be changed.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Flair has a timing chain, so does not need replacement at 52k. Relax
Old 14th June 2010, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

even the 1.6 comes with a timing chain.

When is the scheduled replacement? 120K kms? but what about other belts?
Old 14th June 2010, 18:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The only belt of major concern in cars is the timing belt, as the failure could result in complete engine overhaul. However the Ford IKON flair, comes equipped with a timing chain, which the company(well, actually PVS Ford, calicut) claims 'need not be changed AT ALL(life = lifetime of the engine)'. 52k is too low a mileage, for change (even if it were timing belt).
If you do need to change it I guess its just below 1800/- (I'm not sure)

I also wonder if the suspension need overhaul?, As I overhauled (front two, rear still stock) it at 80k and my car has undergone a driving terrain similar to an SUV. but I guess it is the '5.9 years' showing its age(mine was just 2 years old). Double check if your car really needs it.

P.S - This suggestion is purely based upon my personal experience. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The only belt of major concern in cars is the timing belt, as the failure could result in complete engine overhaul. However the Ford IKON flair, comes equipped with a timing chain, which the company(well, actually PVS Ford, calicut) claims 'need not be changed AT ALL(life = lifetime of the engine)'. 52k is too low a mileage, for change (even if it were timing belt).
If you do need to change it I guess its just below 1800/- (I'm not sure)

I also wonder if the suspension need overhaul?, As I overhauled (front two, rear still stock) it at 80k and my car has undergone a driving terrain similar to an SUV. but I guess it is the '5.9 years' showing its age(mine was just 2 years old). Double check if your car really needs it.

P.S - This suggestion is purely based upon my personal experience. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks all for your timing belt/chain advise.

About the suspension, I would love to be wrong in my assessment and avoid the suspension overhaul if not needed. But frankly I really don't know. There is a noise like a spring pressing and depressing every time my car goes over a speed breaker and the right tyre has worn off a lot more than the left and yes there is a right steer too when the steering is left straight on and a slight left correction is needed to bring the car back on track. There are some other noises from the front that I cannot really pinpoint. Can any one tell me what all to check for or replace if needed? The rear suspension seems fine except maybe a failed bearing which causes a whining sound at speeds above 80.

Last edited by SPARKled : 15th June 2010 at 12:40.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Thanks all for your timing belt/chain advise.

About the suspension, I would love to be wrong in my assessment and avoid the suspension overhaul if not needed. But frankly I really don't know. There is a noise like a spring pressing and depressing every time my car goes over a speed breaker and the right tyre has worn off a lot more than the left and yes there is a right steer too when the steering is left straight on and a slight left correction is needed to bring the car back on track. There are some other noises from the front that I cannot really pinpoint. Can any one tell me what all to check for or replace if needed? The rear suspension seems fine except maybe a failed bearing which causes a whining sound at speeds above 80.
If the shock absorbers are toast then you can feel your car/suspension unstable at high speeds. I guess... Actually what happnes is that they will lose the shock absorbing capability and only "spring will be acting" and the car will keep bouncing.

Regarding the tyre wear, you will probably also need to check the lower arm, as IKON's are known to 'early lower arm replacement'. A failed lower arm bush causes uneven tyre wear, and that unusual noises from the front. Actually its only the lower arm bush that need replacement, but unfortunately FORD does not offer to replace only the BUSH. They replace the entire arm.

And, yes I guess its time for you to change rear bearing. Also please note that IKON's are prone to tyre noise and if the tyre's are worn unevenly it could create noises. So it may not be the bearing.

If you are planning to change your tyres why dont you opt for 14" wheels as well, they give you a better ride. Also I have changed into Bridgstone TURANZA's and those tyres are really magnificent. Very low tyre noise(as compared to stock MRF's) and absolutely awesome grip and comfort.

P.S - These suggestions are purely based upon my personal experience. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If the shock absorbers are toast then you can feel your car/suspension unstable at high speeds. I guess... Actually what happnes is that they will lose the shock absorbing capability and only "spring will be acting" and the car will keep bouncing.

Regarding the tyre wear, you will probably also need to check the lower arm, as IKON's are known to 'early lower arm replacement'. A failed lower arm bush causes uneven tyre wear, and that unusual noises from the front. Actually its only the lower arm bush that need replacement, but unfortunately FORD does not offer to replace only the BUSH. They replace the entire arm.

And, yes I guess its time for you to change rear bearing. Also please note that IKON's are prone to tyre noise and if the tyre's are worn unevenly it could create noises. So it may not be the bearing.

If you are planning to change your tyres why dont you opt for 14" wheels as well, they give you a better ride. Also I have changed into Bridgstone TURANZA's and those tyres are really magnificent. Very low tyre noise(as compared to stock MRF's) and absolutely awesome grip and comfort.

P.S - These suggestions are purely based upon my personal experience. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hey Thanks!! That was really helpful. I will check the shocks and the lower arm assembly and replace these if necessary. I absolutely agree about the MRFs being too noisy and I wont buy MRFs again. I will replace the tyres but I am not planning to keep the car for more than 1.5 years so let me see what tyres I get as I am sure that the Turanzas must be expensive.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:51   #8
BHPian

i am using ikon 1.3 for 7 years now. I replaced the shock absorbers twice and lower arms once now in last 1 lak KMS !! my 2 observations in last so many years are!

1. Ford lower arms cost only 4.5k to replace totally which is some time equals the price of lower arm bush of some other companies. not doing timely replacement of this will cost you the tyres and suspension system itself !!

2. even though the shock absorbers are little rigid on the cushioning effect to give this car an amazing stability at cornering, i always wanted a gas filled shock absorbers for my ikon like it is available in UK for Ford Zetac S ( predicisor of our Ikon). heard its now aviliable with Koni and some other brands where it cost almost 20k for a set of 4 shocks compared to to 9k of ford genuene part.

Jai Ho..
Old 16th June 2010, 21:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I will replace the tyres but I am not planning to keep the car for more than 1.5 years so let me see what tyres I get as I am sure that the Turanzas must be expensive.
Your description about steering and uneven tyre wear gives the impression that the wheels are not properly aligned. Have you got the wheels aligned and balanced on time?

Reg the sound it may also be the rubber mounting on top of the shockers. That's pretty cheap to replace (less than 1k). You would do well to take the car to a good wheel alignment shop. If anything is wrong with the car's front end the alignment guy will give you a list of parts to replace before the alignment can be done. If you are getting the lower arms replaced then also get the 'ends' and 'jumping rod bushes' replaced (both should cost you less than 2k).

Reg tyres - pick up the Yoko A drives. Very good VFM product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
1. Ford lower arms cost only 4.5k to replace totally which is some time equals the price of lower arm bush of some other companies.

2. heard its now aviliable with Koni and some other brands where it cost almost 20k for a set of 4 shocks compared to to 9k of ford genuene part.
Not to burst your bubble but my friend got both lower arms on his Octy replaced for 4k. And both the front shockers for 6k (gas filled shockers from Bilstein - a German company which is OEM for Volkswagen). And I thought Ford spares are reasonable.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:41   #10
BHPian

not to higjack this thread but, lower arm @ 4k at skoda service center? Unbelievable 9k i mentioned is for entire 4 shocks and mountings at ford service center. but 6 k for belstein gas shocks is alluring !! is it available for ford ikon ??
Old 17th June 2010, 12:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Your description about steering and uneven tyre wear gives the impression that the wheels are not properly aligned. Have you got the wheels aligned and balanced on time?

Reg the sound it may also be the rubber mounting on top of the shockers. That's pretty cheap to replace (less than 1k). You would do well to take the car to a good wheel alignment shop. If anything is wrong with the car's front end the alignment guy will give you a list of parts to replace before the alignment can be done. If you are getting the lower arms replaced then also get the 'ends' and 'jumping rod bushes' replaced (both should cost you less than 2k).

Thanks for the tip. Well I am guilty here. I have never ever done a wheel alignment or balancing in my almost 6 years of ownership. Will get it done asap.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post

Are they avaialble for 13 inchers???...
Old 28th July 2010, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my Ford Ikon the much needed suspension job. The tie rod and the front shocks were replaced. the rear suspension is pretty much fine and surprisingly the front lower arm is fine too. Got the brake pads replaced as they were almost worn out. The service engineer also asked if I wanted the brake discs replaced. But I couldnt find much wrong with them so retained them. Any tips for finding brake disc wear? The disks looked fine to me at least visually. Also got new Apollo Amazer XLs around around and now I find the ride much better and quieter than the horribly noisy MRFs. Wish I had done this change a lot earlier.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sparkled, can you put up the detailed cost of the spares and labour. How much kms are there on the Odo??
Old 28th July 2010, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have done 53K on the odo. But I don't have the bill with me here in Pune, so will post the details this week end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks