Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 13:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
The Only Adavantage Shell and reliance have over Psu Pumps is that they have no Known history of Adulteration and are a boon On highways where Fuel quality Is suspect, Other than that All the talk of better mileage and better fuel is MOre Of Hearsay than anything else fuel if its not tampered with is the same as sold at any pump, as long as the fuel is pure there is no difference between Reliance shell or Oil Psu Pumps.
That is the crux of the matter! Fuel quality/quantityis mostly tampered with in PSU bunks, hence the problem with smoothness/mileage. AFAIK there is no monkey business in Shell pumps, no idea about Reliance ones.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is the crux of the matter! Fuel quality/quantityis mostly tampered with in PSU bunks, hence the problem with smoothness/mileage. AFAIK there is no monkey business in Shell pumps, no idea about Reliance ones.
One of shells's Sales officer recently quit and has joined HPCL here at delhi, I had a chance of meeting him and was curious about why They were doing so well down south and had a An almost nil prescence up North, To this he said adulteration is the biggest problem down south plus the cost per litre there is closer to shell prices thats why the educated aware customers are drifting towards shell.

However shell and reliance have an almost nil prescence in Delhi NCR, There is absolutely no adulteration here as on date . Which is a comendable job by The OMC's.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Born 2 Be Wild

It is not close to Shell prices here. PSU premium petrol is Rs 54.xx per litre whereas Shell super is 63.xx.

Glad to know there is no hanky-panky in any PSU bunks at NCR, though I find that hard to swallow! There may be a few of them which may be good, and they will be only an exception rather than the rule. A leopard does not change it's spots, whether it is NCR or Timbucktoo!
Old 21st June 2010, 20:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know there is no hanky-panky in any PSU bunks at NCR, though I find that hard to swallow! There may be a few of them which may be good, and they will be only an exception rather than the rule. A leopard does not change it's spots, whether it is NCR or Timbucktoo!
I agree, with exceptions, that there are national specifications and there are PSU specifications which they need to maintain to run business.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is absolutely no adulteration here as on date . Which is a comendable job by The OMC's.
Correct and the Sun rises from the West here in the NCR.
Old 21st June 2010, 22:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
@Born 2 Be Wild

It is not close to Shell prices here. PSU premium petrol is Rs 54.xx per litre whereas Shell super is 63.xx.

I agree a leopard doesnt change its spot and i do agree that they themselves are to blame for the reputation that they have now, But The Times when Adulteration was Rampant, nobody at once paused to think how the dealers did it without being caught well every Tom Dick and Harry was in on the take at that point of time!! Each and everybody was paid off from the inspection teams to the OMC Officials, which isnt the case now In the NCR atleast and i support my statements with what i know as i am in this business and I dont stand to gain anything by saying adulteration aint here in Delhi, Instead i should be bad mouthing everyone saying everyone is selling kerosene , That would certainly kill the competion But that would be unethical!! Yes there are chances that One may encounter Short delivery which is one thing which is very hard to clamp down on but people try nonetheless , hence i never state that you cant be cheated here.

Last Month The Vigillance Dept Conducted special raids on pumps they had under survelliance and all came out clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Correct and the Sun rises from the West here in the NCR.
Still rises from the East last time i checked :-D. I take My business seriously and what i state is what i am absolutely sure off, So sir if you can prove me wrong by telling me something i may not be aware of it would be benefical for one and ALL on the Forum .

I am going OT with this discussion, My Apologies.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 13:07. Reason: A max of 2 smileys as per the Team-BHP rules please.
Old 22nd June 2010, 00:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

My comment is in view of another thread that exists here on the forum namely http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...delhi-ncr.html

I am a contributor to the same and IMHO the need and the feed for this thread exist only because there is still some mischief going on.

EDIT

Just revisited the said thread and noticed that you are a contributor and a pump owner/franchise. This is interesting! I can see that you have cautioned us against several pumps so where is the need to do that if those guys are not playing 'mix it'.

Do note I am just wondering what the is scene and not pointing any fingers. BTW having read the location of your pump I think I have filled up there too

Last edited by khoj : 22nd June 2010 at 01:02.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My comment is in view of another thread that exists here on the forum namely http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...delhi-ncr.html

I am a contributor to the same and IMHO the need and the feed for this thread exist only because there is still some mischief going on.

EDIT

I can see that you have cautioned us against several pumps so where is the need to do that if those guys are not playing 'mix it'.

Do note I am just wondering what the is scene and not pointing any fingers
I would like to state again that The Pumps that i have mentioned in the other Thread, I have done so not because they Adulterate,but because the sales staff try their level best to rip off the customer. Also I have stopped contributing to that thread as i feel it would not be prudent for me to say stuff about other dealers, which would make people feel that i have something to gain by doing so hence if you ever would like to know anything in detail i am just a Pm away .
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:53   #39
BHPian

OK guys… here is a firsthand information from a colleague of mine who was a Petroleum Retail Manager with Reliance for 3 years.
  • As most of us must be aware, Reliance shut its shop because of no subsidy from Indian government. Oil prices zoomed to way above 100 USD per barrel and Reliance would have had to sell fuel with loss.
  • Reliance has enough muscle power to get the subsidies from government. Had the government given subsidy to Reliance, it would have had to give it to all other private players.
  • The initial investment from pump owners was very high, subsequently outlets were closed. Owners were later cajoled by offering LPG automotive stations.
  • Fuel quality; surprisingly he said that the their petrol is of inferior quality as compared to other companies. Though he had all praises for diesel quality.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:00   #40
BANNED

I am surprised about the 'Reliance has better calibration' bit. If some one has poorer calibration then the error can be both positive and negative! Not a single post about PSU fuel giving better economy.

The case rests!
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not a single post about PSU fuel giving better economy.
My roommate's father was with IOCL. I clearly remembering him saying once that Xtra Premium is the best available high octane fuel in India. Any takers?

I once tanked up with Xtra Premium, mileage tanked down by half a kmpl. Never tried after that.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:43   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
My roommate's father was with IOCL. I clearly remembering him saying once that Xtra Premium is the best available high octane fuel in India. Any takers?

I once tanked up with Xtra Premium, mileage tanked down by half a kmpl. Never tried after that.
Yes. XP is misnamed since BS3 and 4 demands that it be 95RON min to be called Premium while it is 93RON. They should have changed the name, since at least in 13 cities it has not been PREMIUM for over five years. In fact they know that they are cheating since the ads no longer talk of Octane, but only of Friction Busters. BS3 and 4 regular is 91RON, so why pay the Premium!

Also as per their site it is only BS2- i.e., high Sulphur, benzene, etc. If they were not a PSY they would have been sued out of existence!!
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:11   #43
BHPian

My Dad is in Reliance.

He said that the pumps/dispensers are engineered in such a way that adulteration/tampering is not possible. And Reliance can monitor the tankers from a central location. So no hanky panky in between.

They shut shop due to lack of subsidies, but now a level playing field has been provided. So they are open.

One downer of Reliance is that - they take cash or Debit card. And if debit card, a transaction fee is charged. Not much, but its there.

When Reliance opened its outlets, they achieved a 25% market share in South. This was a superb achievement. After they opened the A1 plazas, the other outlets also followed suit. Its profitable to mix Auto fuel and Human fuel. :-)
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
One downer of Reliance is that - they take cash or Debit card. And if debit card, a transaction fee is charged. Not much, but its there.
Don't know about debit cards but all PSU bunks charge a transaction fee for using credit cards.
Some card companies reimburse the charge if its a co-branded card
or if it is some 'special card'.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have had the transaction fee charged by the fuel bunks reverted back to my account after a few days by the bank itself. I have seen those entires. It is not a huge amount but my account was credited back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks