Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Hissing sound from a/c and low cooling- Scorpio MHawk VLX

I have a Scorpio M Hawk VLx oct 2008 model which has done abut 24k kms. The Scorps a/c has been very efficient and it usually chills the car within minutes even at the a/c low setting. I have never felt the need to engage A/c hi. Not even during a road trip through Gujarat in scorching heat.

For the past few days there has been a hissing sound coming from the vents. This hissing persists for a minute or two even after the car is switched off. Today I noticed that the cooling has drastically reduced and one of the vents from the passenger's just gives out warm air even when the a/c is engaged. The air from the driver side vents is cooler.

I took the car to Mahindra ASC and the A/c tech cleaned the filter and blew dust out from near the compressor. This didn't help mich. Then he said that he would have to examine the expansion valve or the cooling coil. At this point the smart alec service advisor barged in and started implying that he had initially suspected a gas leak and they would possibly have to replace the cooling coil. The technician initially didn't say that the cooling coil had to be replaced. However after this guy barged in, he started singing the same tune.

So I told them to go ahead and check the cooling coil to which they replied that it's not possible today since they will have to open the entire dash board, wiring and it needs a lot of time. They will need to keep the car for two days! I mentioned to him that change the coil if you want, it should be covered under warranty since the car hasn't completed 2 years yet. So he said that he will have to check with Mahindra and cannot commit. So I have taken an appointmemnt for tomorrow morning to drop the car off.

Judging by the rep's behavior, I suspect that the problem is not as serious. It's only a two year old (pampered)car and a gas leak or something major is quite unlikely. I have a few doubts:

1. Does the cooling coil conk off so early?
2. Is it very difficult to reach the coil? Do you have to remove the dash board and a lot of other things to reach it?
3. They had replaced the expansion valve a few months ago because there was a whistling sound coming from the A/C. This was done under warranty.
4.Does the low cooling and hissing problem seem related to the expansion valve and/ or the cooling coil or is it somethin else altogether?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th June 2010 at 15:41. Reason: corrrecting typo
Old 17th June 2010, 17:27   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I have a Scorpio M Hawk VLx oct 2008 model which has done abut 24k kms. The Scorps a/c has been very efficient and it usually chills the car within minutes even at the a/c low setting. I have never felt the need to engage A/c hi. Not even during a road trip through Gujarat in scorching heat.

For the past few days there has been a hissing sound coming from the vents. This hissing persists for a minute or two even after the car is switched off. Today I noticed that the cooling has drastically reduced and one of the vents from the passenger's just gives out warm air even when the a/c is engaged. The air from the driver side vents is cooler.

I took the car to Mahindra ASC and the A/c tech cleaned the filter and blew dust out from near the compressor. This didn't help mich. Then he said that he would have to examine the expansion valve or the cooling coil. At this point the smart alec service advisor barged in and started implying that he had initially suspected a gas leak and they would possibly have to replace the cooling coil. The technician initially didn't say that the cooling coil had to be replaced. However after this guy barged in, he started singing the same tune.

So I told them to go ahead and check the cooling coil to which they replied that it's not possible today since they will have to open the entire dash board, wiring and it needs a lot of time. They will need to keep the car for two days! I mentioned to him that change the coil if you want, it should be covered under warranty since the car hasn't completed 2 years yet. So he said that he will have to check with Mahindra and cannot commit. So I have taken an appointmemnt for tomorrow morning to drop the car off.

Judging by the rep's behavior, I suspect that the problem is not as serious. It's only a two year old (pampered)car and a gas leak or something major is quite unlikely. I have a few doubts:

1. Does the cooling coil conk off so early?
2. Is it very difficult to reach the coil? Do you have to remove the dash board and a lot of other things to reach it?
3. They had replaced the expansion valve a few months ago because there was a whistling sound coming from the A/C. This was done under warranty.
4.Does the low cooling and hissing problem seem related to the expansion valve and/ or the cooling coil or is it somethin else altogether?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
We can't completely rule out what the rep has said. The issue can be due to a leakage. However as he said, if that is the issue then reaching for it and checking is a time consuming job, and I suggest you to let them have their time. Whatever thing to be done regarding dashboard or any plastic materials, be sure we are not arguing with them for time. Or else they may end up doing something in the rush and make long term issues like rattles due to broken/teared-off plastic parts. I am telling this from my experience. The hissing sound probably seems to be the leakage problem. However if you suspect the service advisor, do visit another service center to get their word on the issue. Also make sure you get a word regarding the warranty claim before changing any parts.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:09   #3
BHPian

Thanx Bhp Maniac

I went to a couple of local garages and asked them to diagnose the hissing. However, they were of the opinion that it's normal and I need not bother. And I didn't. Until the cooling started diminishing today.

I'll make sure that the faulty part is replaced under warranty because they had changed the expansion valve under warranty during the last service. It was changed because it used to make a funny hooting whistle occasionally. I wonder if that has something to do with the current problem.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th June 2010 at 19:13.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Seems like there is definitely a leak. However, I doubht it is the coil itself. Most likely from where the pipes connect to the coil. Either way this is a warranty issue and put your foot down for that. Don't pay for this !!
Old 18th June 2010, 08:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Seems like there is definitely a leak. However, I doubht it is the coil itself. Most likely from where the pipes connect to the coil. Either way this is a warranty issue and put your foot down for that. Don't pay for this !!
+1 to that. If you tell them to repair cooling coil then, its a demanded repair not a warranty repair & they'll charge you for it to the tune of 10-20k. They could have yanked something in the expansion valve change to make way for more repair jobs. Insist on the problem cropping up after expansion valve change & never go by what they say.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:04   #6
BANNED

Looks like you are low on refrigerant.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some amount of hissing is normal while its charging, but if its accompanied by loss of colling can be symptoms of a leak, get it checked outside and no harm in getting the gas refilled once and check if it sustains itself.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Go to a/c repair person, ask him to fill nitrogen, keep it that way for few hours to check for any leakage if the pressure stays, then the system is OK. If not he will check the line from condenser to blower by using soap oil.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:15   #9
BHPian

Hello,

Firstly, thanks to all of you for your replies. Guys I couldn't bear the heat while driving today so finally decided to drop the car at the ASC so that the A/c is back in action soon.

The a/c technician had another look and said that it appears to be a leak from the cooling coil. They say that the cooling coil needs to be replaced. The advisor also confirmed (verbally) that the new cooling coil will be replaced under warranty.

I've left the car with them and they will complete the job by tomorrow evening. Now assuming that the cooling coil is at fault, they will also have to refill the refrigerant after replacing it. Would the customer normally bear the additional costs (labor, refrigerant, etc) or should that also covered under warranty? Sorry if that is a daft question but I really don't have much experience with these matters.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 18th June 2010 at 15:16.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:02   #10

Any updates ??

Hi Wolfheart,
I have got the exact same problem like yours since today morning in my Mhawk Vlx which has done 27000 kms on odo and 21 months old, it was fine till Friday i never felt that my A/C is under performing when i switched it on today morning to my surprise it was not responding with only the blower working, as i was in a hurry to office i switched it off thinking of checking it in the evening. I checked it this evening and am getting a same hissing sound from the left side vent on the passenger side and absolutely no cooling. I would feel great if you can respond with exact details of the issues and how you got them fixed, is it working fine after you have fixed it and was it covered under warranty. Am planning to take it to *** tomorrow, your reply could be very handy as i don't want the *** persons to get under my skin.

Thanks!
Old 21st June 2010, 23:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhawk.madhan View Post
Hi Wolfheart,
I have got the exact same problem like yours since today morning in my Mhawk Vlx which has done 27000 kms on odo and 21 months old, it was fine till Friday i never felt that my A/C is under performing when i switched it on today morning to my surprise it was not responding with only the blower working, as i was in a hurry to office i switched it off thinking of checking it in the evening. I checked it this evening and am getting a same hissing sound from the left side vent on the passenger side and absolutely no cooling. I would feel great if you can respond with exact details of the issues and how you got them fixed, is it working fine after you have fixed it and was it covered under warranty. Am planning to take it to *** tomorrow, your reply could be very handy as i don't want the *** persons to get under my skin.

Thanks!
Hi Madhan,

Welcome to TBHP! I have had some complications with the ASC regarding their delivery commitments. To cut a long story short eventually the A/C cooling coil was changed and it's cooling as good as new. The parts as well as labor were covered under warranty and I didn't have to pay anything at all.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:53   #12

Thanks buddy

Thank you Wolfheart for the quick response , I had it checked with a A/C mechanic and he hit the nail on its head by saying its a cooling coil leak. My next destination is MASS, will I have any problems getting the warranty cover for this defective part ?
Also can someone throw some light on what will be the cause for the leak, as its just a 21 months old vehicle with 27k on odo.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhawk.madhan View Post
Thank you Wolfheart for the quick response , I had it checked with a A/C mechanic and he hit the nail on its head by saying its a cooling coil leak. My next destination is MASS, will I have any problems getting the warranty cover for this defective part ?
Also can someone throw some light on what will be the cause for the leak, as its just a 21 months old vehicle with 27k on odo.
If you have any problems getting the warranty cover or are being tricked into paying anything, just call Mahindra's customer service. They are very prompt and will communicate with the Service Centre on your behalf.

Funny thing is that my car as well as Raj (another Member ) had the exact same problem! Do I smell a fish here?
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Madhan,

Welcome to TBHP! I have had some complications with the ASC regarding their delivery commitments. To cut a long story short eventually the A/C cooling coil was changed and it's cooling as good as new. The parts as well as labor were covered under warranty and I didn't have to pay anything at all.
good to hear that the problems are sorted out buddy.

Quote:
If you have any problems getting the warranty cover or are being tricked into paying anything, just call Mahindra's customer service. They are very prompt and will communicate with the Service Centre on your behalf.

Funny thing is that my car as well as Raj (another Member ) had the exact same problem! Do I smell a fish here?
NO! funny thing is, you paid nothing for the repair whereas i had to pay for everything except the cooling coil even though my car was under warranty!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1302334

i wish even i had called the customer care like you did!
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:35   #15
BHPian

Raj I've sent you a pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks