brake pads : 1050
brake disk : he said we can put it under a lathe machine again
rear wheel cylinder : 1400
rear brake liner : 1600
clutch kit : 4500
clutch cylinder (both) 2400
rear tail light : 1800
head light : 2450
fuel pump assy : 6800 (he said for the fuel meter we can change the guage cost : 2400

now look at the price difference. i thought people send their vehicles to outside garages because the labour is cheap but out here i can see even the parts are cheaper and infact much cheaper. for example brake pads are 5 times cheaper than the ones at the A.S.S

i guess i will be sending my car to this guy for the work. i have seen his work as my car has been to him before so no doubts on his work. but regarding the cost can it be true? i mean can there be so much of difference?
Old 28th January 2011, 22:16   #32
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues

I have a 2003 December Palio GTX which has run 35000 KMS. Please help me resolve 2 queries -

1. The clutch needs to be replaced, the quote I got is Rs.7950 for the clutch set, Rs.750 for the release bearing and around Rs.2000 for labour. Is the price correct for the Palio Clutch.

2. When I bought the palio last year it came with 185/65 R14 Tyres which were in decent shape. When ever I turn the wheels to either extreme right or left to turn/u turn, the front wheels kind of skids and jumps as if it has run over a small stone. Is this due to bigger size of the tyre as I believe Palio GTX came with 175/165 R14 as stock tyres.

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Old 28th January 2011, 22:26   #33
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

1. The clutch needs to be replaced, the quote I got is Rs.7950 for the clutch set, Rs.750 for the release bearing and around Rs.2000 for labour. Is the price correct for the Palio Clutch.

Regards
The quote seems more or less correct. I had got mine replaced a few months ago for around 8K but my mechanic had waved off the labour charges. But 35K kms seems too low for the clutch wear out. Mine was replaced after 86K kms

Quote:
2. When I bought the palio last year it came with 185/65 R14 Tyres which were in decent shape. When ever I turn the wheels to either extreme right or left to turn/u turn, the front wheels kind of skids and jumps as if it has run over a small stone. Is this due to bigger size of the tyre as I believe Palio GTX came with 175/165 R14 as stock tyres.
The GTX came with 175/R14. I too have upgraded to 185/R14 but your issue beats me. Have never come across this problem. Maybe tyre gurus can pitch in.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
@chandrda - This seems more like a suspension problem to me. You should get the suspension, especially the Tie rod ends/ tie rods, and steering rack examined at a good garage.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
But 35K kms seems too low for the clutch wear out. Mine was replaced after 86K kms.
Thanks, I am not surprised the clutch gave way at 35K as the previous owner was literally riding the clutch in city traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
@chandrda - This seems more like a suspension problem to me. You should get the suspension, especially the Tie rod ends/ tie rods, and steering rack examined at a good garage.
I am taking the car to the garage today, will get it checked.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2003 December Palio GTX which has run 35000 KMS. Please help me resolve 2 queries -

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Hi Chandrda,

i have replaced the clutch on my car thrice and the quote was 3500 for the clutch and friction plates and the labour was 3500. so total was 7000.

also, listening to the way your tyre is behaving, looks like they are overinflated. please keep the pressure at 30 psi and check if ti still persists.

on a side note, if you think the tyres are old, please replace them. no point risking your life just for a little money.

regards,
Kiran.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The quote seems more or less correct. I had got mine replaced a few months ago for around 8K but my mechanic had waved off the labour charges.
@JVH, please provide the details of the mechanic, would be interested to visit him next if there is any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hi Chandrda,

also, listening to the way your tyre is behaving, looks like they are overinflated. please keep the pressure at 30 psi and check if ti still persists.

on a side note, if you think the tyres are old, please replace them. no point risking your life just for a little money.

regards,
Kiran.
I always keep the pressure at 30 PSI. Replaced the old tyres with michelin 185/65 R14 tyres yesterday. I had got a quote of Rs.3550 in December now its Rs.4400, Prices increased from 10th Jan .

Though the treads of the old tyres were pretty decent, 2 tyres were manufactured in Apr 2003 and 2 in Mar 2007. The side walls of the April 2003 tyres were out of shape and the March 2007 tyres were blading unevenly.

I am taking the car for test drive today and will let you know, if the problem is resolved.

Regards
Old 1st February 2011, 09:16   #38
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@JVH, please provide the details of the mechanic, would be interested to visit him next if there is any issues.
You can find the details here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...tomobiles.html

Just keep in mind that off late he's charging more although his work is top notch. So, don't count on the waving off charges yet
Old 1st February 2011, 15:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
You can find the details here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...tomobiles.html

Just keep in mind that off late he's charging more although his work is top notch. So, don't count on the waving off charges yet
Grrrrrr.. Even I take my palio to Venkatesh.

I am not entirely happy with the work he has done on Saturday. He failed to mention that he has to service another 4 palios on Saturday even though I had informed him 2 days in advance. When I went to collect my palio at 5 PM, it was as it is when I left the previous day. Out of 7 complaint I had given, he attended to only clutch. That too in the dark.

Problems after service -

1. Fog/Water build up in the front headlight - Had asked Venkatesh to adust the focus
2. He lost couple of bolts on the ground while fixing the door pad and the clutch - I am not impressed given his experience and scarcity of palio parts.
3. Front door lock levers are not functioning after fixing new ones - The spring on the old door lock lever had gone kaput, so it was not going to its original position after opening the door. He fixed news ones and both went kaput immediately after fixing. He kept insisting its original even as I was not convinced it is.
4. Car not washed and grease on the front door pads/seats. I did not expect a clean car out of his garage, but should take care not to put grease inside.
5. Rs.3000 as labour for fixing clutch.
6. Brake shudder - Not attended to.

He keeps mentioning the parts are original, but never shows the original packaging or bill even after asking for it. I know he keeps a margin on it, but I have to be sure that its fiat authorised. Does fiat spare parts come in a packing with logo/seal or anything to recongnise?

If a spare part is not available from fiat and he is sourcing it from market, I am obsolutely fine with it as long as he mentions it to me..

Regards

Last edited by chandrda : 1st February 2011 at 15:34.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:49   #40
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Eeeks! Sorry about the bad experience.

Looks like negligence and lack of time towards your car resulted in this kind of impression. Regarding the orginaility of parts, I have only seen him open brand new suspension arms infront of me and yes these were packed with FIAT logo boxes. Apart from these, I was never present in front of him except for regular servicing. But touchwood, no part replaced by him has gone kaput. That includes clutch plate, suspension arms, head lamps, engine mounting bracket (this was an used example though), wipers, brake pads, clutch gear cable and gear bracket.

Am not trying to defend him but trying to say that even if he might not respect others time and committed dates which happened in your case, he is a far better option available to Palio/Petra/Uno/Sienna users than the T.A.S.S. And its quite unlike him actually. But again, its your call to take your car where you wish. I zeroed on him after trying Greentracks, Concore Hosur road and Hariprasad motors.

And did you voice your concern about the neglect? What was his response?
Old 8th February 2011, 09:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
But again, its your call to take your car where you wish. I zeroed on him after trying Greentracks, Concore Hosur road and Hariprasad motors.

And did you voice your concern about the neglect? What was his response?
JVH, I would still persist with him. Agree with you he is better than Greentracks and Concore.

Yes, I did speak to him about the spare part. Have to speak about other issues as I noticed it once I took the vehicle back.

I have a query on the headlight, my palio doesn't a motorised headlight to adjust the focus. If there are 2 people sitting in the front, then the focus just bends down. Have tried couple of times to fix this problem, but the focus just doesn't get any better. Is there a solution for this?

Regards
Old 8th February 2011, 12:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I have a query on the headlight, my palio doesn't a motorised headlight to adjust the focus. If there are 2 people sitting in the front, then the focus just bends down. Have tried couple of times to fix this problem, but the focus just doesn't get any better. Is there a solution for this?

Regards
take it to Vijay aligment center there @VV puram, they will adjust the focal length using a tool & they charge 120 for 4 headlamps, 2-H1 & 2-H7
Old 15th February 2011, 18:06   #43
BHPian

After much looking for a good used car and not finding one i decided to revive my good old palio till i find something better. The palio is here to stay. Had sent the car to tata-fiat A.S.S. a week back for the estimates of the work they sent me a long list amounting to 1,21,000 which I am sure is more than what the car is worth, besides it had all the things which i had taken care of before too namely suspension and stuff which weren't even spoilt, fuel pump assembly, power steering assembly rack and exhaust muffler. I guess they just wanted to assume that these things required changing just for the heck of it. Called my good olf "bawaji" mechanic who knows the history of the car and checked with the prices for all the necessary things like head light assembly, brakes overhauling which require liners, boosters etc and found out that fiat were charging twice and somewhere thrice of what my mechanic had told me.
Asked the A.S.S to leave the car as it is and give it back. Service personal from A.S.S. calls me next day saying the car isn't starting, need to change ignition along with the keys, here i noticed that all my ignition along with locks and keys were changed 6 months back so argued with him a little and then later gave up realizing there's little i can do about it. Gave them a go ahead to change it again. Service guy calls me again and says "sir, it wasn't ignition, its starter. Again starter was repaired/serviced a few months ago along with the ignition. Argued again, gave up again told them to go ahead. This time the car finally started. Bill amount Rs. 3606 which included starter motor service and few fuses.
Went to pick up the car and realized it wasn't even washed at the time of delivery, moreover it had white "chuna" stains all over, didn't care much since i was anyway planing to rebuilt it completely. Took off with the car to my good old mechanic, while driving i realized the ac blower stopped working, the steering was off line and wasn't screwed in properly, side mirror missing, thanks A.S.S.
Dropped the car to the good old mechanic along with a list of all the work. Will continue with what follows next and all the work done along with the cost in the following threads.
Need help from guys on the forum, if you know any person who can repaint my car at a fair price and can do a good job then pls give me his number. I got a least quotation of Rs. 20,000 from my mechanic.
Old 15th February 2011, 19:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the state of affairs at the TATA-FIAT. :(

a decent paint job (entire body) should cost you roughly about 20K.

why do you need to change so many parts?
Old 15th February 2011, 22:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
a decent paint job (entire body) should cost you roughly about 20K.

why do you need to change so many parts?

Ok. So I'm assuming the quotation i got was right and not more, I thought my mechanic would charge a little more because he would outsource the paint job to someone else.

Needed to change parts because of usual wear and tear, moreover the vehicle wasn't used for couple of months since i was out of town plus when I asked tata-fiat to send quotation for everything needed i assume they assumed that I want to change practically everything, in fact the paint job at A.S.S would have set me back by Rs 45000, resulting in the inflated quotation. Most of the parts were available cheap at opera house, like I mentioned before they quoted me twice and somewhere thrice for parts, for eg brake pads were quoted for Rs 6000 for a set of 4 where as opera house charged me 2500.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks