Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 23:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

I used the term off-road liberally. What would be a term for just off the metal road? -snip-

Jeeps are not an option, as they would be very uncomfortable for others.
That's way too liberal, no?
The kind of "off roading " that implies, I've done in my fiesta, and a friend's city enroute to kufri, and in lansdowne. As long as its a track, cars are fine.
Caught TG's Patagonia special?
Do consider the weight and the length of your innova, though. Get some chunky tyres and underbody protection, to start with.

Last edited by mayankk : 20th September 2016 at 23:46.
Old 21st September 2016, 07:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to make Innova more capable off road?

Ideally, in your shoes and having got a Fortuner, I would have upgraded the suspension and got an aftermarket suspension which was less wallowy than stock, Michelin AT tires would have replaced the stock ones and that would have been more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The innova is a rear wheel drive, so, you can use the handbrake to get out in sticky slushy situations.
Could you please explain as to how to go about this? I am sometimes forced to drive a 2WD trucks or vans, will help here

In the last week of July had to take a detour because of a road-block. This detour went through tarred roads but tractors and trucks had put a good amount of mud on these roads and it was all slush. Tar below and thick slush on top of it. A UP-65 [Varanasi] registered Innova simply went and banged itself into a parked truck when it hit its brakes, there was no traction to speak of. What could one do here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
The X5 with x drive and Q7 with quattro, they are beats which can tackle just about anything.
Q7, Q7 as a beast? Source

How to make a 2WD more capable in offroad conditions?-20160820_152305.jpg

I am sure the X5 or most soft roaders will meet the same fate. These Germans don't make their SUV's reliable enough and nor can they properly off-road.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 21:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to make Innova more capable off road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Could you please explain as to how to go about this? I am sometimes forced to drive a 2WD trucks or vans, will help here
Well, in case of a vehicle getting stuck with an open differential, ie one wheel in slush, and the other wheel which has traction getting zero torque, you just need to pull the hand brakes not really tight, but, to some extent, and drive.

Instead of zero torque which was delivered to the wheel with traction, pulling up hand brakes will deliver atleast torque which is necessary to overcome the brakes, and hence the vehicle moves.

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st September 2016 at 21:18.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed