Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 08:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Noise from Brakes in my Ford Fiesta

I have experiencing noise from the brakes in my Ford Fiesta esp when the brakes are gradually released. Dont know if its from the front and rear brakes. I feel its from the front since they are disc brakes and maybe the brakes are not getting released smoothly. I had mentioned this to the dealer during the regular service and was told that it was common. But these days the growling noise which I hear when I release the brake pedal has increased. Is it because of the wet monsoon conditions that the brakes are sticking more or is ti due to rust as seen in the attachment.
What could be the reason for the same, BHPians advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Noise from Brakes in my Ford Fiesta-photo0125.jpg  

Old 25th June 2010, 10:02   #2
BHPian

Did you try bleeding the brakes, Just a wild guess that if there is small air buble the brakes will take time to release.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you drive through water, upto or above the tyre centre line?
Then there are chances to get the brake discs WET which may result in
reducing braking efficiency and some noises also. Or the brake may not be getting released due to rust formation (that too might have happened due to tyre immersed in the water for some time)?
Old 25th June 2010, 10:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
Did you try bleeding the brakes, Just a wild guess that if there is small air buble the brakes will take time to release.
Can you let me know how to do that, can it be done by me or should i take it to the service workshop.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

My colleague had a similar issue, and the Ford Authorized in Trivandrum asked him to get the discs grinded/polished (Not the brake pads, only the discs).
He is yet to get this done because he doubts whether the dealer is trying to fleece him (He was quoted Rs 4000 for polishing four discs).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th June 2010 at 10:47.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:30   #6
BHPian

I think this is quite normal in monsoon. It normally happens if the tires and breaks are wet.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:37   #7

ABS?? Dirt ??

You said the brakes were "growling"? Are you sure you didn't mean squealing? - A high-pitched sound? If they were squealing, there are several possible reasons - dirt/rust, worn pads, or even as someone else mentioned a slightly bent or scarred disc - all of which require a trained mechanic.

If on the other hand you are referring to a low-pitched sound, I can only think of ABS as the culprit, but does your car have that??
Old 28th June 2010, 12:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
You said the brakes were "growling"? Are you sure you didn't mean squealing? - A high-pitched sound? If they were squealing, there are several possible reasons - dirt/rust, worn pads, or even as someone else mentioned a slightly bent or scarred disc - all of which require a trained mechanic.

If on the other hand you are referring to a low-pitched sound, I can only think of ABS as the culprit, but does your car have that??
I would not know whether the "growl" I hear is the same "Squeal" you mentioned but defintely I hear the noise and its from the brakes allright. I think as dezmo007 mentioned maybe its because of monsoon and wet tyres/brakes. I need to show it to the service guys.
Old 29th June 2010, 00:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I would not know whether the "growl" I hear is the same "Squeal" you mentioned but defintely I hear the noise and its from the brakes allright. I think as dezmo007 mentioned maybe its because of monsoon and wet tyres/brakes. I need to show it to the service guys.

Well good luck and do let me know how it turns out; I have a similar 'noise' problem from my Civic and am in the process of earning a PhD in trying to identify it's cause!
Old 29th June 2010, 10:25   #10
BHPian

Hi ghodlur nothing to worry about it is due to the brakes that get rusted during monsoon season,for that matter if you park the car for a few days the brakes get jammed(handbrakes applied) and get released only after a bit off dab on the accelerator.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Ghodlur, usually if this sound comes while appling the breaks then the issue is you pads are wornout and need replacement, there is something called the wear indecator and that rubs against the disk to make that sound, For this you dont have to belad the breaks as that is done for a tottally different thing, even after realising the breaks the break pad still remains in contact(this is normal) with the disk, have your pads checked if you see any wear have them replaced or get them cleaned using sandpaper.

Pramod
Old 30th June 2010, 09:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
@Ghodlur, usually if this sound comes while appling the breaks Pramod
@Pramod

I hear the noise only when I release the brakes and not when I apply it. A typical case would be when I remove the car from parking for office I hear this noise, when I release the brakes in a signal, I hear it. During running if I apply the brakes I dont hear it.
Will be taking the vehicle to service guys this weekend. Hope fully it should be resolved.
Old 1st July 2010, 09:43   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A typical case would be when I remove the car from parking for office I hear this noise
Handbrake cable / rear drum brake getting jammed. Simple greasing / cleaning job required.

OR

If you park in the direction of the rain, water in the brakes. Typical problem that resolves by itself (after couple of kms of driving).

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2010 at 12:22.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Re: Noise from Brakes in my Ford Fiesta

I was facing the same issue in my Fiesta as Ghodlur had mentioned. I was never satisfied with the quality of service at MPL Ford Chennai. This brake 'squeal' problem was reported to FASS couple of times but not was never resolved. Their reply to my problem was 'Aftermarket alloy wheels and tyres sir, that could be the issue!'. After my team-bhp membership was approved, I stumbled upon this thread So, this time as per jinojohnt I avoided FASS and took my Fiesta to Bosch Service Centre Ramapuram Chennai. The service centre folks took a quick test drive and found the culprit to be the poor quality Ford Brake pads. These brake pads had damaged the discs too. So, the Bosch SA advised that the brake pads had to be replaced and the disks had to be skimmed/polished. The estimated time for this work would be 2 hrs. I asked them to go ahead with the job. The end result was The price break-up 1148/- for Brake pads, 500/ for Disk Skimming and 400/ for labour. The brakes are top notch now and there is absolutely no sound from the front disks.
Old 27th May 2013, 21:34   #15

Re: Noise from Brakes in my Ford Fiesta

The recent spares from Fiesta has been pretty questionable not that its evident all over but some things like disc brake pads have had their share of issues. The thing is the new pads are pretty rough made to last long and they grind against disk making the noise.

Pretty confused as advising aftermarket pads is so subjective to the quality almost having huge peril and FASS providing with sub -standard pads .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks