Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Grande Problems

Thanks wildchild for the information. I am not worried about that rubber thing. I am only worried about the discs problem and leaf springs getting misaligned. I dont carry too much load in my car but still this happened. Their was also some noise coming when turning the steering. It was also sorted out.

When my car was new the pressure pipe bursted. Since my purchase I am facing minor or major problem.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks wildchild for the information. I am not worried about that rubber thing. I am only worried about the discs problem and leaf springs getting misaligned. I dont carry too much load in my car but still this happened. Their was also some noise coming when turning the steering. It was also sorted out.

When my car was new the pressure pipe bursted. Since my purchase I am facing minor or major problem.
you are most welcome roadie

anyways, leaf spring misalignment can be caused because of an improper reversing of the vehicle. I'll tell you how. The grande is quite a high vehicle ( high ground clearance). The height of the shackle from the ground is almost same as the height of some road pavements and also steps in some houses / appartments. So when the vehicle is backing up, some drivers may not be able to see the steps which is behind the vehicle. They might reverse the vehicle too much such that the shackle goes and bangs against the steps thereby misaligning the leaf spring. this could be a probable cause. I had the same complaint in my old sumo.
What is the disc problem which you are taling about ?
Old 4th May 2011, 18:45   #48
BHPian

The discs problem I am facing is that in every 6 months the discs get damaged and are changed. Again they get damaged and again they are changed. This is happening since my purchase. I am really tired of this car and planning to sell it in 2-3months. Hope to hear your advise soon.

Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 10:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The discs problem I am facing is that in every 6 months the discs get damaged and are changed. Again they get damaged and again they are changed. This is happening since my purchase. I am really tired of this car and planning to sell it in 2-3months. Hope to hear your advise soon.

Thanks
what do you mean damaged?
Old 5th May 2011, 11:13   #50
BHPian

Damaged means that they get bent. I cannot exactly say because my driver used to take the car. The manager there promised me that he will change the car but before that asked for last warning. But the problem is still not solved.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Damaged means that they get bent. I cannot exactly say because my driver used to take the car. The manager there promised me that he will change the car but before that asked for last warning. But the problem is still not solved.
discs are designed to only rotate about its own axis and they do not have any other relational motion between other neighbouring components. they get bent only if the vehicle meets with an accident or the vehicle falls down from the jack with the tyre removed.
anyways, if the dealer had offered you a free swapping of the vehicle, then you could have gone for it instead of just giving the dealer a " last warning" as you said?
Old 13th May 2011, 18:34   #52
BHPian

Today I had taken my car to Motorsales to get the car checked as we are going for a trip on 21st. Also the car was jerking while breaking. The conversation to the person there is as follows.

Mechanic - Sir what is the problem

Me- Car jerks on breaking.

Official- Sir it will not go.

Me- Steering makes noise when turning it.

Official - Sir this also will be present.

Me- Jerking is present. He replied sir these problems cannot be cured.

I asked the reason and hesaid that the car has manufacturing fauly and the problems will never be sorted. He said that due to this Grande has been stopped and was not a success.

But the discs were not damaged and I drove back home without having need to change the discs.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Happyroadie:

I think that your brakes are getting stuck? This problem is mainly due to faulty Brake Booster. Tell them to check all the vaccum lines and especially, Brake booster + brake master cylinder.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:33   #54
BHPian

@mercedised I think this is not the reason because they have changed the whole assembly of my car.

Regards
Old 14th May 2011, 11:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Please help and advise me whether I should proceed with this step or not. Your suggestions will be valuable for me in making the decision
Write mails to big shots in Tata, bring their notice to this thread and even then if nothing happens, think of proceeding with a legal course. You can also spread the voice through other online forums also e.g. facebook
Old 14th May 2011, 13:07   #56
BHPian

I have sent mails to many people but no one replies back. I have even contacted Head of Customer Care but their was no response from his end also. I would request anyone who has number of any high authority in TATA to please provide me with the number so that I can talk further rather than dealers.
Old 19th June 2022, 16:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I have already discussed the problem that after I returned from Nainital both the front Discs were damaged. They however replaced them but it gives a sort of discouragement and fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@Happyroadie:

I think that your brakes are getting stuck? This problem is mainly due to faulty Brake Booster. Tell them to check all the vaccum lines...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
discs are designed to only rotate about its own axis and they do not have any other relational motion between other neighbouring components. they get bent only if the vehicle meets with an accident or the vehicle falls down from the jack with the tyre removed.
Not at all so on this last point. They are in this case cast-iron (not steel) and would crack/break in extreme impacts, not bend...

I keep ignoring errors in technical info simply because the posts are old... Granted that T-Bhp's knowledge base has probably increased a lot in a decade, but for the record (and so as not to promote & perpetuate wrong/ misleading info):

Brake rotors get warped very commonly from factors listed here in order of likelihood:

1. Heat buildup from excessive "riding" of brakes (vs. appropriately downshifting and utilizing engine braking). Especially important in hill driving which it seems this owner engaged in regularly, and just prior to the issue appearing.

2. Uneven tightening or overtightening of lug nuts: There is a specific tightening pattern which is to be observed, by which in two or three progressive rounds of this pattern the technician is to arrive at a specific torque specification given by the manufacturer. Technically by using a torque wrench, though almost nobody does this. I have VERY often seen this ignored.

3. Calipers internally corroded and sticking... not common on newer cars, and can be easily diagnosed by checking for rotational resistance on a lifted wheel.

4. Hydraulic faults in proportioning valve or even flexible lines, etc., again not common but I've had the latter occur once... likewise easily diagnosable with a raised wheel.

(5) Brakes generally undersized for vehicle weight, an OE design issue. First gen Scorpios as one example, here in the hills they were known for this, and in a fully loaded vehicle (eight or nine persons plus luggage) I once actually had brakes get so hot as to have the wheel bearing grease catch fire after a steep downhill! In such cases engine braking is even more critical.

Regards,
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 19th June 2022 at 16:10.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 08:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Not at all so on this last point. They are in this case cast-iron (not steel) and would crack/break in extreme impacts, not bend...

I keep ignoring errors in technical info simply because the posts are old... Granted that T-Bhp's knowledge base has probably increased a lot in a decade, but for the record (and so as not to promote & perpetuate wrong/ misleading info):
Many thanks for pointing this out, Eric. I stand corrected.
Disc warping is possible as you have mentioned in your post.

Most Viewed