Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 13:32   #1
BHPian

fuel tank damage

Hi Guys,
We had parked our i10 in a irregular area.it had ,i think rods and steep stone beneath.while reversing,our fuel tank got damaged completely.It was a stormy night,and we didn't hear any noise.we drove for about a km and the car stopped suddenly.the engine just cranked
the service engineer came to the spot within an hour.He said the tank is damaged and has to be replaced.
Now,
a) has this happened to anyone else?if so,what did you do?
b) how dangerous is this.would the car have gone in flames?
c) is the fuel tank in all cars placed in such a way,that it could be damaged so easily?
d)maybe we should have a system in which the car wouldn't start if there is a problem (circuit breaker)
thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 13:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hi Guys,
We had parked our i10 in a irregular area.it had ,i think rods and steep stone beneath.while reversing,our fuel tank got damaged completely.It was a stormy night,and we didn't hear any noise.
Fuel tanks are built very robust; I'm surprised you didn't hear or feel anything. For something to damage / pierce through the tank, the impact would have to be pretty severe.

Quote:
has this happened to anyone else?if so,what did you do?
My Esteem's tank got damaged once. It was dented by a foreign object on the road, but luckily, no leak. We drove home safely.

Quote:
b) how dangerous is this.would the car have gone in flames?
I'm still not clear on why your engine stalled. Is it because the tank was punctured? If so, yes, it was a dangerous situation and you are lucky that the car didn't catch fire in any way.

Quote:
c) is the fuel tank in all cars placed in such a way,that it could be damaged so easily?
Not easily. That's why damaged fuel tanks are a rare occurrence.

Note : Replace the fuel tank entirely, don't attempt to repair.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
d)maybe we should have a system in which the car wouldn't start if there is a problem (circuit breaker)
thanks
We should play the role of circuit-breaker .

I am surprised that you did not feel the impact. I am guessing that the impact would have been hard, since there has been a big leak in the fuel tank (car just ran for a km before it stalled). Even though you might not have heard anything due to the thunderstorm, you should have felt the impact, and you should have checked the car for damage immediately. I always do this even at the slightest hint of some obstacle rubbing the underside of the car. You are lucky... the fact that it was raining probably negated the possibility of a fire to the fuel leak.

Most Viewed