Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 12:46   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which high-end engines are you guys talking about? None of the Germans from my circle (including petrol & diesel Mercs / BMWs) have shown this appetite for oil. The only cars that have are from the VW stable (including Audis). Even after 10,000 kms of hard driving, my Benz shows the oil level as "ok". There is nothing high-end or low-end about excessive oil consumption during the run-in period.
Spot on.
I tried (and am still trying) to dig the scientific reason behind this oil "consumption". So far haven't met anybody who "really" knows. I am sure there must be someone in the Audi/VW/Skoda engine R&F who knows but am not getting through to that point.

In spite of me telling them upfront that I am happy with my Laura Tsi and just calling in to satisfy my curiosity about oil consumption (which my Tucson and NHC do not do), the Skoda Auragabad guys are not willing to come forth.

And please - I do not buy that crap - German versus Asian or "high-end" versus "low-end". This is BS. In fact, if the engine consumes no oil, it's high end in it's own right
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2010, 20:05   #107
Senior - BHPian

Me too never heard of this initial drinking habit on any other car.
Quote:
2. Clearly inform all customers about the car's drinking habits. The only plausible reason I can think of, as to why they don't, is to avoid a "high maintenance" or "problematic" reputation for its products.
If they are wise they can do it after the sale is done and during delivery.
Old 10th July 2010, 20:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which high-end engines are you guys talking about? None of the Germans from my circle (including petrol & diesel Mercs / BMWs) have shown this appetite for oil. The only cars that have are from the VW stable (including Audis). Even after 10,000 kms of hard driving, my Benz shows the oil level as "ok". There is nothing high-end or low-end about excessive oil consumption during the run-in period.
This was a post from Distinguished BHPian Sahil quite a while back. I guess you've been lucky with your Germans, GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I mean no personal offense but I think you are taking this minor trait which is common to all Germans as per my experience ( Like I mentioned my BMW 525d also drank excess oil initially)
I personally do not hold Skoda culprit in this case, yes the problem you had earlier with the past car was unpardonable and I am glad they replaced it.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 10th July 2010 at 21:01.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:18   #109
BANNED

Looks like Sam's euphoria is going to be very short lived.

Shell's operational outlets are for sale, along with land at other locations they have acquired for setting up retail outlets. Indian Oil and BPCL have bid for this.

Info is based on a research sent to me by my stock broker, will post a public link as and when available - probably in the evening, when I am free.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:49   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Looks like Sam's euphoria is going to be very short lived.

Shell's operational outlets are for sale, along with land at other locations they have acquired for setting up retail outlets. Indian Oil and BPCL have bid for this.

Info is based on a research sent to me by my stock broker, will post a public link as and when available - probably in the evening, when I am free.
The oil is not sold exclusively at Shell outlets. Besides all Skodas run on Shell synthetic oil, so I'm pretty sure Sam is covered.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:42   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

At Rs.1100 per liter, Shell would be even willing to come to your house and refill your engine oil.

Exxon Mobil, Shell...the members of cartel
Old 12th July 2010, 17:03   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I guess you've been lucky with your Germans, GTO.
If you ask Sam, he'd be the first to admit he was lucky with a German too!

Seriously where does this oil go? Is it burnt? I do not see any signs of it on my car. Has anyone even instepcted the tailpipe of a VW/Skoda/Audi that is drinking more than it should?

Other TBHPains too have had an oil-drinking VW/Audi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...km-normal.html

Only with Audis and VWs do you come across blogs like this..something IS amiss but the coats at VW/Audi are not listening hard enough.
2009 Audi A4 Avant: Gimme Some Oil, Expensive Oil
Old 13th July 2010, 10:56   #113
Team-BHP Support

Assume a mileage of 15 kmpl for the engine running in a test environment at a factory.
Thats about Rs 10,000 worth of fuel for 3,000 kms worth of driving.
Plus cost of oil at say 3,000.

Why can't these guys run in the engine at their factories and then sell it.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:20   #114
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Is the drinking of too much oil initially by Skoda are obsorbed by parts like 'o' rings, engine oil seals or burnt totally. If burnt then I think there would be more black smoke in the exhaust.
My Figo which has done 6800km drinks oil and am following with Service centre. But in the Figo manual it has been mentioned that oil consumption will be stable after 5k kms.
Keeping my fingers crossed or I can proudly say my TDCI is like TSI's
Old 10th November 2010, 15:41   #115
Senior - BHPian

I think friction is higher during run in and that would result in oil temperatures shooting beyond flash point. This could result in oil getting burnt.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:36   #116
BANNED

This could be because they are still using the old type seals and gaskets which are in stock (for Indian market?) which don't work well until they are in use for a few thousand kms.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:53   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

The oil is imported. Probably justifies the hefty price. Rs. 1015/- per litre is not cheap.
Just for a comparison, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 costs AED 35/- (Approx INR 425/-) per litre here in AbuDhabi, UAE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks